Credit Card - support for Visa and Mastercard Debit

Options
AGBear
AGBear
Community Member

Dear Agilebits,

Can we please have support for VISA Debit and Debit Mastercard added to 1Password's credit card template? These are not the same as VISA or MC, and they're not the same as Maestro or Electron either, so we really need a separate option. Most UK card payment gateways have a discrete option for VISA Debit (railways, etc.) and I imagine they're common in other European countries as well.

I've seen a few requests going back to 2010-2011 on this feature, so I know I'm not the only one who wants it. Thanks.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @AGBear‌

These are not the same as VISA or MC

In the US, and I assume Canada as well, they are. There are differences in what happens on the backend, but as far as account number, expiration date, security code, etc there is no difference in the fields on the cards.

What makes the UK debit cards different?

• AGBear
    AGBear
    Community Member
    Options

What makes them different is the dropdown option on web forms I am filling in with 1Password - there's a discrete option for Visa Debit. Should have made that clearer, sorry!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AGBear,

Thanks so much for clarifying! I've passed your suggestion along to our developers. I can't promise anything, but we'll do what we can to improve 1Password's capabilities here.

ref: OPM-2444

• Carina
    Carina
    Community Member
    Options

Just to follow up on this, I have just started to use 1password and tried to enter details of my UK Mastercard. The template doesn't allow me to put in the CVC (back of card) security number. Am I trying to use the wrong tempalte or what?
    Carina

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @Carina,

Which category are you using? The 'Credit Cards' category is where I would place this. There should be a space for a 'verification number' -which I think is the same idea as your security number:

(demo data shown)

Does this help?

• Carina
    Carina
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan, I have just spotted that. Trouble is that we all speak English, but it doesn't always mean the same thing.
    Carina

• Chastepe
    Chastepe
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I have the same problem too. I have a Visa Debit Card in UK and whenever 1password fills in my details it changes the drop down menu from Debit to Credit Card, so yes it would very useful if you could add that option too.

• Hi @AGBear‌ and @Chastepe,

While I'm sure I can find some on my own if I look around, I'd like to make sure that the exact sites that you're having trouble with get referenced in our bug tracker. Can you give me URLs for these sites that differentiate Visa Credit vs Debit? We'll add these to the bug @Megan‌ created as test cases to make sure we test against.

Thanks.

Rick

• AGBear
    AGBear
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

I'll make a mental note to post to the forums when I encounter it again. I think I encountered the problem with train tickets - First Great Western, Crosscountry, etc. - but I'll confirm when it happens!

• Elinore
    Elinore
    Community Member
    Options

Some debit cards, such as Nordstrom's, are proprietary, meaning they don't have an affiliation with Mastercard, VISA, etc. Therefore, there should be a choice in the "type" dropdown field of "none" so one isn't stuck having to create a new entry to avoid having to chose an affiliate that doesn't apply.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Elinore‌

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! I've added your feedback to the issue in our internal tracker. :)

• AGBear
    AGBear
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I found a site that has Mastercard and Debit Mastercard, Visa and Visa Debit as separate options - it's the Crosscountry trains site. You can see how 1P is going to input my Visa Debit bank card as plain old Visa, which means I'll have to tweak for the form once I've loaded the card details.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AGBear‌

I've added the URL, notes and a web archive of that site to the bug report for you. That will hopefully assist during the coding and testing phase.

• ryanbrodie
    ryanbrodie
    Community Member
    Options

Still finding this a day to day frustration - any update on this?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry @ryanbrodie, nothing to report at the moment. As a person in the UK I do understand your point and I shall add your query as a vote to see this happen.

• am2am
    am2am
    Community Member
    Options

This is not only UK! - It is European standard
    The same exists in France, Poland, ..
    Try to make reservation on Ryanair - it is impossible with 1Password to fill with Master Card debit payment (which is less expensive)

Please fix it - I am surprised it takes so long!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @am2am ,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here. I'm sorry that this is frustrating for you, and I'll be sure to share your feedback with our team.

• dfjg
    dfjg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I would like to add my support for this feature request.
    I understand that for non-Europeans this may not seem like a big deal, but it is. On European websites a distinction is nearly always made between Visa Credit and Visa Debit cards. This is usually reflected in a difference in the processing fee applied at checkout.

Please, it's been nearly a year since this AGBear's post.

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @dfjg,

As somebody from the UK, and despite am2am's misunderstanding of my UK comment we understand how many people are affected by this. I can say that the devs do understand the distinction as part of our role as support here is to ensure they do :smile: I hadn't heard of V PAY until one of our users brought it up but I will argue for its case just as strongly if it's popular somewhere (which is what I was told at the time).

As a X debit card user I fully understand what you're all referring to and why it is frustrating.

• plus91uk
    plus91uk
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on adding the option for debit cards

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @plus91uk,

I'm afraid I don't have anything new to report on this. Our developers certainly haven't forgotten, but I don't have any timeframe on when those particular debit card options might be added to 1Password. I'll be happy to let our developers know you asked about this.

Sorry I don't have more information at this point! If you need anything else, please do let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.