Need to manually update from "1Password Reader" app

Options
JohnHind
JohnHind
Community Member

When anyone asks me about password managers I have been saying "1Password is great on PC, Mac and iOS, but it is very limited on Android". Today I received a marketing email from the good folks at AgileBits and had some time on my hands so I made a more determined effort to find all the good features mentioned which I'd otherwise been unable to find. I eventually realised that the app I thought was the one currently in the Play Store was "1Password Reader" not the current "1Password". Once I'd installed the first and un-installed the second all the great new features were available!

I wonder how many others are still using the old app not realising they have to manually transition to the new? There seems to have been a concerted effort to air-brush the old app off the record and pretend it never existed. To avoid this danger, it might make sense to refer to the old app explicitly on the Google Play page, the on-line manual and marketing emails. I think it would have been better to make the new app a new version of the old one so it updated automatically, or maybe to overlap the two in the store for a few months with a final update to the old app alerting users to the need to manually update.

Anyway, I'm please to now be able to recommend 1Password on all platforms, even if I am a few months late with this news!

Comments

• saad
    Options

Hi! Welcome to 1Password 4. I completely agree with you, we need to let our existing 1Password Reader users know that there is a new version of 1Password available in the Play Store. 1Password 4 was developed as a new application and because the changes are dramatically different, we were not able to provide it as an update to 1Password Reader. I think updating 1Password Reader one last time with an alert mentioning that a new version available is a great suggestion. Thanks for the tip, I'll pass that on to our team!

This discussion has been closed.