Lost a bunch of items by deleting a folder

Options
TiggerGTO
TiggerGTO
Community Member

I just found the smart folder feature, so I created one to keep track of my work IDs that are all prefixed with the same string. With the smart folder in place, I didn't need the "manual" folder anymore, so naturally I deleted it. Much to my dismay, as 1Password was cleaning up after I selected to empty the trash, I realized that deleting a folder also deletes the items inside the folder. I have now lost about 15 logins that I need for work.

Request: Please, please, please put a warning in the delete folder confirmation saying that all items in the folder will be deleted. Put the warning in big bold letters. If it is possible, please provide an option to delete the folder without deleting the contents perhaps by moving them back to to the root folder (or wherever items that are not in a folder actually live).

Question: Is there any way to recover the items on my Mac? I can't remember if 1Password automatically keeps backups or archives. I just checked my iPhone. The good news is that it has not yet synced from the deletes, so I still have the entries on that device. I have put my iPhone in airplane mode to prevent synching. Is there anything I can do on the iPhone that will cause the entries to be recreated in my master file when it next syncs, or do I need to manually recreate the items on the Mac before I allow the sync to go through?

I have been using 1Password for several years now, and this is the first time I have had any kind of problem with it.

Thanks,
Danny

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

1Password should also be keeping backups, viewable through 1Password's Preferences (1Password : Prefrences... : Backup tab). Simply selecting one should enable the restore button.

Lastly a sync would synchronise the deletes so you definitely don't want to do that.

I did have a couple of lines about Trash but then went back and re-read your post saying you deleted then cleared the Trash - ouch. I've just checked out the confirmation dialog that pops up though.

Confirm Delete
    Do you really want to delete this folder and move its items to the Trash?

Not saying they couldn't make it clearer (you could probably always argue that something can be clearer than it already is) but they did mention the contents would be moved to trash. I know - it doesn't help right now but the backup comment at the top should.

Hope it works out!

• TiggerGTO
    TiggerGTO
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah... after posting, I did go back and look at the confirmation dialog. I see that it does warn me what will happen, but it is really easy to stop reading after "Do you really want to delete this folder...". The really frustrating thing was that I noticed that the items were in the trash after I selected "empty trash" but before they were actually deleted. Unfortunately the restore button didn't work in that state.

To play it absolutely safe, I manually recreated the entries on my Mac by looking at the ones that were still on my iPhone. I'll poke around to see if I can find the backups.

Thanks,
    Danny

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Wait, so you found a list of your backups but clicking on one didn't enable the restore button or was the restore comment in reference to being too late after emptying the Trash?

• TiggerGTO
    TiggerGTO
    Community Member
    Options

I restored from backup, so now I have all my lost entries back. Thanks for the help.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @TiggerGTO‌! Glad to hear @littlebobbytables‌ was able to get you sorted out.

This discussion has been closed.