Migrating from iPhone5 to iPhone6 - keychains

Locker
Locker
Community Member

1PW 5.1.1 (501102) / Also the released 5.1

iOS 8.0.2

In the old iPhone5, I had both apps: the released version and the beta. (each had its own datafile, I assume)
Restored from iTune to the new iPhone from an encrypted backup.

Only the released version of the app was restored. Not the beta one. (but I assume it's an intended action. Is it?)

I assume that the datafile already on the device after the restoration. (for both apps, the beta file is probably "waiting" for the beta app)

Running the 1PW (release ver), I got the Welcome screen (I expected everything to be defined already, but was not too surprised); Selected "Sync existing vault"; went through the dropbox authorization; tried to select the vault(s), got message "Vault Exists: This vault already exists on your iPhone; Got It"; Now I am stuck. I expected it to either continue, perhaps validate the vault password, or being able to delete it and resync.

I installed the Beta. Same behavior.

I'll probably delete the app, and it will probably delete the datafile and allow me to reinstall the app and get new fresh downloaded datafile.

I did delete the app. The datafile was deleted indeed, and I was able to start from fresh and bypass the problem.

Comments

• Hi @Locker,

Only the released version of the app was restored. Not the beta one. (but I assume it's an intended action. Is it?)

Yes, Apple only restore apps from the App Store, not apps from external sources. Your beta came from HockeyApp rather than Apple.

tried to select the vault(s), got message "Vault Exists: This vault already exists on your iPhone; Got It"; Now I am stuck. I expected it to either continue, perhaps validate the vault password, or being able to delete it and resync.

That is very interesting. I think what happened is your sync settings from the old device was stored in the backup and it was restored on the new device. If that is true, that'd explain the behavior you saw because it's reacting as if you're trying to resume sync with Dropbox with a local data file rather than setting up a fresh sync.

I'll file a bug report and we'll test this to see what's going on. Thanks so much for writing the details here, it is very helpful!

• Locker
    Locker
    Community Member

I think what happened is your sync settings from the old device was stored in the backup and it was restored on the new device.

Just a reminder that the restore was from an encrypted backup. Apple saves more settings when the backup is encrypted which are not saved if the backup is not encrypted.

The following is not 1PW specific:

Apple only restore apps from the App Store, not apps from external sources.

Makes sense. Although that I thought that it's more when restoring from iCloud, where apps are not really stored in the backup but rather downloaded a fresh copy from the App Store. Therefore old apps that are not available in the App Store anymore are 'lost'. On the other hand, if we restore from iTune on the local computer, those old apps do exist there, and therefore are restored. However, after more thinking, the original copy of the app 'arrives' into iTune library not from the iPhone but from the App Store. Thus, it seems that external apps would not be in the library in the first place.

BTW: Why Hockeyapp home screen icon was not restored?

• HI @Locker,

Just a reminder that the restore was from an encrypted backup. Apple saves more settings when the backup is encrypted which are not saved if the backup is not encrypted.

Right but we don't want to save your sync settings in the backups in the first place, you should do a fresh sync on a new device anyway.

if we restore from iTune on the local computer, those old apps do exist there, and therefore are restored.

I don't think it always does that. I did a restore using iTunes last year and it restored apps from the App Store rather than iTunes.

BTW: Why Hockeyapp home screen icon was not restored?

Strange, it is a website saved as an icon, so no reason not to restore it from the backup. Did it restore your bookmarks in Mobile Safari?

• Locker
    Locker
    Community Member

Strange, it is a website saved as an icon, so no reason not to restore it from the backup. Did it restore your bookmarks in Mobile Safari?

I haven't check it immediately, but it seems that the bookmarks were restored. History, for example, has entries even a month old.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014

Hi @Locker,

It looks like it should be backed up as reflected in their article here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

However, iCloud backups doesn't appear to cover that at all. I know this doesn't apply to your case, just sharing that info for others who might be reading this.

This discussion has been closed.