icon difference 1PW

Options
tuni12
tuni12
Community Member

ok - I now have 2 icons for 1PW on my MBPro dock. Have downloaded 4.4.3 - and still have the old. Looking at both, I can't tell the difference. Please tell me which is which - what do I look for in looking at both icons? know when I use "about 1PW) it tells me, but that's not helping me. I need to know which is which by looking at the icon itself. I know there must be a difference - what is it????

Comments

• Hi @tuni12,

Could you please take a screenshot of the two icons you're seeing and post it here?

Thanks in advance!

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

I went to Finder, deleted 1PW app,left 1PW4 alone. that removed the 2nd icon. thx

• On behalf of @JasperP‌, you're welcome, @tuni12‌!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tuni12,

Did you originally purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store or the AgileBits webstore? The version from the Mac App Store will be titled 1Password, and the version from our webstore is titled 1Password 4. So, ideally, you should keep the application that you purchased a license for.

Please let me know if you run into any other trouble - if you have accidentally removed the version of 1Password that you regularly use, you might notice that you have an extra instance of 1Password Mini (the key icon) in your menu bar. We can help you clear that up. :)

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Whoops, that's exactly what I did do, Megan. I removed 1Password (purchased thru the MAS). I had both icons on my dock, and 2 keys (the mini) on menu bar. NOw, I didn't empty the trash so 1PW is still sitting in my trash. I assume that's the one from the MAS. So, now that I'm totally confused, which version do I keep - 1Password 4 is on my dock, 1PW is in the trash. Are you saying I should put it back on my dock and remove the 1PW4???? or do I keep both?(that will give me 2 key icons, also).....don't know what to do, awaiting guidance.....HELP!!!! Am not touching anything until I hear from you re. what to do, and how to do it!!!! Yipes!

• Hi @tuni12‌, I think you should stick with the Mac App Store version. I'll walk you through what to do exactly.

• Open the direct version, 1Password 4.app in Applications.
    • Unlock it, and then click 1Password 4 > Preferences > General.
    • Uncheck the box labeled Always keep 1Password mini running.
    • Quit 1Password 4.app.
    • Drag 1Password 4.app from Applications (in the Finder) to the Trash.

Now, instead of recovering the Mac App Store version from the Trash, it is honestly easier to simply reinstall it to make sure it ends up in the correct spot.

• Empty your Trash.
    • Restart your Mac.
    • Open the Mac App Store.
    • Click the Purchases tab.
    • Click Install next to 1Password.
    • When finished, launch 1Password.app from Applications.

That should take care of everything for you.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Thx so much chrisdj:
    ok - I m now running 1PW 4.4 from the MAS - stuck the AgileBits version in my trash - have only 1 key icon in menu bar but......the MAS tells me there was an update 4.4.2 from the MAS which it says "installed already" - my version only shows 4.4 not 4.4.2????I can't seem to re-download the updated (.2) since it shows its installed. If it is why doesn't the version I'm running from the MAS show 4.4.2 - instead of the 4.4? This is driving me nuts!!

• @tuni12‌ Do you have a Time Machine backup plugged in? If so, unmount that and relaunch the Mac App Store. There's this long time weird bug with t he Mac App Store where it sometimes says apps or updates are already installed if it sees an archived version on the Time Machine drive. It's super weird, but easy to get around. Let me know if that helps.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Would be a great idea but at the moment Time Machine external drive backup is not plugged in. So it can't be seeing that ARGH!!!!

• Hi @tuni12,

Can you do a search for 1Password.app on your drive, see if it exists elsewhere that MAS might be looking at?

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

that's it, Mike - I found a version 4.4.2 update (from MAS) along with the previous version in Finder.....its more than a little confusing since the names & icons are so similar. I only see 1Password.app in my Applications folder on the dock. However, in Finder under Applications OI still see 4.4 (the older version). I have set by rt.clicking under option in 1PW (4.4.2) to show in Finder. However the previous version keeps coming back....- I'll figure it out evenutally now that I know what the problem is....many thanks to you both for helping to grind down to the issue and possible resolution.....At least I know I have the MAS version (the updated one). thx

• You're welcome, @tuni12. If you need any further help getting it sorted out, please let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.