1Password 5.1 on iOS8 can Wifi-Sync from iPad to [Mac 1Password 4.4], but not iPhone

Options
sortep
sortep
Community Member

Folks, Great work with 1Password. The extensibility of it and allowing other apps to authenticate through 1Password is awesome.

I am, however, having an issue with wifi sync between my iPhone and Macbook.

I have an iPhone 5S [iOS 8 latest] with 1Password 5.1 and iPad Air [iOS 8 latest] with 1Password 5.1
and a MacBook [Mavericks latest] with 1Password 4.4 desktop version.

What I am trying to do: Sync both iPad and iPhone with the Macbook version of 1Password.

Steps for iPad:

1. I open 1Password on Macbook and keep the wi-fi sync window open
  2. then open 1Password on iPad and perform wi-fi sync by following

Settings->Sync->Start Syncing->Sync using Wi-fi->
    And I do see my Macbook listed. I tap on the Macbook entry and it syncs with Macbook. No problem.

Problem with iPhone:

I do it the same way on iPhone, i.e. repeat the
steps

1. open 1Password on Macbook and keep the wi-fi sync window open and

2. following Settings->Sync->Start Syncing->Sync using Wi-fi->
    I see the Wi-Fi Sync page with the Refresh List button on it, however, the Macbook entry is not present at all. That list is empty. I press on Refresh List, nothing happens.

So, why is there a difference between iPhone and iPad? Both mobile devices are on the same version of 1Password. Both are connecting to the same desktop version on Macbook. iPad wifi-sync works. iPhone cannot see the Macbook. All the devices are on the same wi-fi network. One difference is that iPhone is unlocked with Touch ID and iPad is unlocked by entering the master password.

Please advise how to get wifi-sync working on iPhone as well.

Thanks,

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble with WiFi sync. On your iPhone could you please try turning Airplane mode on, then turning WiFi on? This will effectively disable the cellular communications but leave WiFi active. Please let me know if that allows you to sync.

Thanks!

• sortep
    sortep
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried WiFi while in Airplane mode. Still the same experience. Macbook is still not showing up with the wifi window on. I also killed 1Password and started it brand new to no avail. Any other ideas?

• Ben
    Options

It would be strange if it worked, but one other thing we like to try in situations like this is an ad hoc WiFi network. Please give that a try and let me know how it turns out:

Thanks!

• Shep_TX
    Shep_TX
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Please pardon my barging in here, but I have the same issue but with the inverse. The iPhone syncs, but the iPad does not. I tried airplane mode and the adhoc network. Neither worked.

One other item of interest, the iPad cannot find my base stations in Airport Utility while the iPhone can. Access to the internet with both is fine. Maybe just a coincidence.

Thanks,

-- Jeff

• Ben
    Options

One other item of interest, the iPad cannot find my base stations in Airport Utility while the iPhone can.

This seems to indicate a larger issue, outside of 1Password.

Please try resetting your network settings on your iPad. Note that this will erase all remembered WiFi networks:

• Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  • sortep
    sortep
    Community Member
    Options

That did the trick. I reset the network settings on my iPhone and it now can find the Macbook on the wifi sync page. Looks like this 'network setting' on iPhone is akin to 'registry settings' of yesteryear windows where cleaning it up gets everything working just right :)

Thanks bwoodruff. I am all set now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @sortep,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all set - I'm glad to hear that Ben could help you out!

If you have any further questions, you know where to find us. :)

• Shep_TX
    Shep_TX
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shep_TX‌

It's great to hear that you're back up and running! Please do let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

• mcaldwell
    mcaldwell
    Community Member
    Options

I was experiencing a similar issue however (iPhone 8.1) Mac (Yosemite 10.10) and Apple iPad () I am using the web purchased 1 Password 5. Airplane helped with the iPhone, however on my iPad I am receiving an error message (that I also had on my iPhone, until I tried airplane mode) that reads "Sync Problem, Network is unreachable, Error Domain Code=51). Any idea what I can do to have all three devices synch properly? Will I ned to be in airplane mode from now on to synch over wi fi? Can someone explain why I would use iCloud synch instead of wi fi synch? To me it seems iCloud is over the internet and wi fi is only on my local network. Is there another aspect that I may be missing here. Thank you in advance.

• Good morning @mcaldwell‌, have you tried the step to reset your network settings as indicated by Ben here? https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/149823/#Comment_149823

This discussion has been closed.