1 Password WIFI Sync inconsistency Mavericks to IOS8

Options
justanotherokie
justanotherokie
Community Member

After the latest Updates to 4.4.3 MBP Early 2011 and 5.1 on a 5S the WIFI connection is hit and miss.

This only started occurring after the recent updates a few weeks ago.

So far a reboot of both systems is required to allow the system's to see each other.

I usually connect from the MBP wired with wireless on. Once disconnect the wire and go
wireless on the MBP sync no longer seems to find the 5S especially after reconnecting the
wire.

So far a reboot of both systems is all I can do to re-establish a wifi link.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I have to say that I, too, have found the working of wifi sync between 1P5.0.1 and 1P5 on iOS (latest version: sorry don't have my iDevices to hand) somewhat erratic. Sometimes it works and sometimes I have to fiddle around (force quitting and restarting the iOS app, for example) before it will work. The usual problem is that the Mac doesn't see either one, or both, of the iDevices. I have always managed to get it to work eventually.

I'm using OS X 10.10, iOS 8.0.2 and an Apple Airport Extreme. I manually added 1P5 to the Mac's firewall to allow incoming connections.

Edit: see also this thread on the 1P for iOS forum.

Stephen

• Hi @Stephen_C and @justanotherokie‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having these issues. WiFi sync is an area that we're still putting a lot of focus on, and we've experienced some of those same problems ourselves. We absolutely want to make it better.

One thing to try which I haven't seen mentioned yet, is to just restart the mini itself. The WiFi sync server runs as part of the mini, and restarting it should be about as effective as the full system reboot.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the suggestion for re-starting mini—because that's easy (1P5 > Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini, for anyone else reading this thread).

Stephen

• Michel van der Togt
    Options

Did a full restart of my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.10) and my iPad2 and IPhone 5S (both IOS 8.1) and my MacBook still does not popup in the list. All three on the same Wi-Fi network using Airport. Any further suggestions to sync via Wi-Fi?

• Michel van der Togt
    Options

On my MacBook it is not possible to create a safe ad hoc Wi-Fi network. Menu only allows for filling in name of network and channel, not for security method (128-bit WEP) and password (not visible).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Michel van der Togt

Just to confirm - when you restarted your computer, did you also restart 1Password as suggested by @rickfillion‌ above? Another silly little tidbit: is the Wi-Fi secret window open on your Mac?

• Alex St. John
    Alex St. John
    Community Member
    Options

This is just great! I purchased the software at full price from agile bits directly so i can't use iCloud to sync. But the best part is that both the wi fi and dropbox sync doesn't work either!!!! i give up. What a waste of my hard earned money!!! i have updated to the latest version etc.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Alex St. John,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having such trouble syncing 1Password!

We'll be happy to help solve any problems with Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync, we just need some more details about what happens when you try to set up those sync options. The more details, the better.

Or if you need to switch to the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 in order to use iCloud sync, please contact us at support+forum@agilebits.com, and we'll be happy to help.

• justanotherokie
    justanotherokie
    Community Member
    Options

By restart a complete Mac Restart, and a full shutdown of the 5S. Once I go wireless only on the MBP syncing quits. That seems to be key.

There may be some half measures but I've found nothing consistent.

I'll be upgrading from Mavericks soon so my experience may change.

• Hi guys,

We've narrowed down another Bonjour-related issue that a customer found out. If your computer name is longer than 25 characters, it won't show up on the Wi-Fi sync list on your iOS device. When we looked into it, we found out that bonjour has a 63-character limit for the service names and with UID we add to the name in order to allow multiple Macs to show up in the same network, longer computer names will exceed that limit. We're working on some ideas as how to enforce the limit inside 1Password in a future update.

Please try limiting the computer name to 25 characters in your Mac's System Preferences > Sharing. Once you save the computer name, it should automatically start to show up in your iOS app.

There's a good chance this would help those with intermittent bonjour-related Wi-Fi issues. Please try this as well and see if it works better.

• justanotherokie
    justanotherokie
    Community Member
    Options

My computer name is shorter than that, but there is good news from my corner of the world. I just updated to ios 8.1 and having no issues anymore. Your results may vary.

• @justanotherokie‌ : Good to hear it's working for you now. If you hit any more issues please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.