1Password5 vs 1Password

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Lounge

Migrating to the Mac App Store version

[https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/switching-to-mas]

I am having trouble grasping Agilebits’ view of the future regarding these two versions, (1Password and 1Password 5)

Each seems to have irreconcilable issues…

Apple Store: 1Password synch’s with iCloud, but iCloud is limited to Apple customers … specifically those who have purchased software from the Apple Store using an Apple ID. There is no “trial period”. iCloud does not synch with non-Apple platforms.

Agile bits: 1Password 5 cannot use iCloud synching at all, but synch’s well with other all other platforms via DropBox, etc.

It looks as though Apple is becoming the rule-maker of the 1Password version of this software thru the industry's current philosophy of “smoke-stacking of customers”.

Even though I have been an Macintosh customer since 1984 and have an Apple ID, one of the reasons I purchased thru the Agilebits website was to avoid having to use the iCloud. For my purposes, DropBox is secure enough to allay any fears I might have, and fills more of my needs across platforms.

Any time there are 2 versions of software, issues will arise and each will evolve down different paths. I fear a spiderweb of problems has been created here, mainly because convergent evolution is rare.

So, my questions: Is this migration from 1Passworde5 to 1Password reversible, now ? Or will it be in the future ?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Why do you think that the Mac Store version does not support Dropbox sync? As far as I'm aware, the only difference between the version builds is iCloud support.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member

I did not mean to say or imply that. It's my understanding that 1Password iCloud-synch does not support other platforms, such as Windows or Android. Am I mistaken ?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

no, you're correct, iCloud is Apple products only.
    And I'm afraid that you did imply that you thought that the Mac Store version could not do Dropbox:

Even though I have been an Macintosh customer since 1984 and have an Apple ID, one of the reasons I purchased thru the Agilebits website was to avoid having to use the iCloud.

You do not HAVE to use iCloud when you purchase through the Apple store. Or did I mis-read you?

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member

OK, I did not word that precisely enough. We're in agreement that DropBox will synch across all the usual platforms, but iCloud will not.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lamplighter,

You raise a good point - it can be tricky maintaining two separate versions of a piece of software. At several points in our history, we've considered moving fully in one direction or the other (Mac App Store only or webstore only), but for various reasons it has been decided that it is best to continue offering our app from both locations.

To get right to your question:

Is this migration from 1Passworde5 to 1Password reversible, now ? Or will it be in the future ?

While ideally, users would pick the solution that best meets their needs and stick with it, it is possible to switch from the webstore version to the Mac App Store version, and vice versa. Because the licenses are dealt with differently, it might involve a bit of fiddling, but we're always willing to help ensure that our users are happy.

Any time there are 2 versions of software, issues will arise and each will evolve down different paths. I fear a spiderweb of problems has been created here, mainly because convergent evolution is rare.

While there are a few things that 1Password has to do a little bit differently in the backend to fit into the App Store mould, 1Password will continue to be feature-identical whether you've purchased from the Mac App Store or the webstore (of course with the exception of iCloud.) We certainly don't intend to start developing the versions as separate apps. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

If you have the ability to manually fiddle the licenses in both directions then that would imply that you can access information on purchases in the Mac store. If that is the case then why not go Mac Store only and manually discount the Windows license for the bundle. Or is there some other advantage to using the web store?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2014

This is an excellent question.

The way in which we "manually fiddle" licenses from our store into the Mac App Store depends on the individual circumstances. We're paying out of pocket to make that happen in most cases. It certainly isn't an ideal solution, but we've always been a company that goes to "extreme" lengths to make sure our customers feel they are being treated right.

We do not have access to purchase information from the Mac App Store. We cannot refund purchases made in the App Store. We also have no way of running promotions in the App Store. And there is no educational pricing or business licensing in the App Store.

Long story short there are a lot of reasons we still sell 1Password in both stores.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Has Apple issued any sort of justification for why only app store apps can use iCloud? Seems like a politically motivated policy to me.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

I've wondered the same, @RichardPayne‌. Unless there is some real security reason to exclude non App Store applications from iCloud, it seems to me that Apple is poorly serving its customers. They're missing a bet in this regard.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

If that's true @hawkmoth‌ then it would indicate that the iCloud service's general security is poor. Relying on app provenance to ensure security is rarely a good idea.
    Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me. The is the same Apple that is leaving Windows users (remembering that a lot number of Mac users must also use Windows) out in the cold too. It's only the most popular OS in the world.

• I have not seen any information directly from Apple as far as an answer to "why."

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

My own suspicion, cynical as it may be, as this is only because Apple want its customers ever more tightly constrained into the Apple ecosystem. Ever since the caution was issued by AgileBit that there was no guarantee that Apple would continue to allow non-App Store software to use iCloud, I have thought that disappointing their customers like that wouldn't be in Apple's interest. I guess I've been proven wrong.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hawkmoth,

Like Ben, I haven't heard anything official, but it basically comes down to the fact that iCloud is Apple's creation, and they get to choose how developers are able to use it. Offering iCloud only for apps sold through the App Store helps 'encourage' developers to make use of Apple's store, which makes the App Store a bigger and better place and drives more users to shop for apps there. But that's just a guess, and I'm no expert. ;)

This discussion has been closed.