1Password 5 extension usability

Options
thibaut
thibaut
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hello there,

1Password 5 is a great upgrade and I love it. Thanks for the free upgrade, btw!
But there are a few hiccups with the extension/1PMini:

1. When the mouse cursor is in the area where the extension opens, the item below the cursor is automatically highlighted. Sometimes its subpanel is opened and it's impossible to navigate the extension with the keyboard… unless I move the mouse out.
  2. When generating a new password from the extension, it's not possible to hit Enter in order to fill/copy the password. I have to do it with the mouse.
  3. There are some translucency issues in the extension, in some conditions the text in the item's subpanel is not readable.
  4. The selected field when opening an item's subpanel seems to be chosen randomly. Sometimes it's the password, sometimes the username or even the app for which the password was generated.
  5. The sliding animation when entering search terms sometimes feels very slow and often shows rendering glitches. Would it be possible to disable animations?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Hi @thibaut,

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I'll address them point by point.

1. We have this filed in our bug tracker, we will try to fix this up in a future release.
    2. That's a good idea. :smile:
    3. We have a bug filed for this. It's been tricky to reproduce the case where it's unreadable. If you have a good way to reproduce this, please let us know, that would help us fix this up faster.
    4. Hrmm... this one is new to me. It always seems to focus on the password field for Logins here. Can you be more specific about what you're seeing, how you're triggering things etc? On the plus side, while playing around with this to try to get this problem to display itself to me, I stumbled up the steps to reproduce a crash that some users have been seeing. Thank you for that!
    5. This is on our radar. We hope to do better.

Cheers.

Rick

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @rickfillion‌,

Thanks for the answer.
    About (4), I don't really know how to reproduce it, sorry.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thibaut‌

I'm glad that Rick's answers helped you out here. With respect to #4, please do keep an eye on it, if you're able to reproduce it, or notice what you're doing just beforehand that seems to trigger it, please let us know. Re-creating it on our end is the first step to fixing it!

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,

About issue #3, it seems to happen mostly when the background is dark.
    In that case, labels are unreadable.

• Hi @thibaut,

Thanks for the additional information and screenshot! I've added that to the existing issue in our internal tracker.

ref: OPM-2261

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

1P for OS X has been updated but this issue is still present.
    Just FYI.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thibaut,

I found the following with a couple of the your original points.

1. Seems to be resolved in version 5.1.
    2. No change here yet.
    3. The beta seems to be making great strides with this. I just tested it out and the menus were near black with lighter text where appropriate. I think this will be what you're looking for.
  • thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think it has been solved in 1P 5.1…
    It's better, yes, but not solved. It's still quite not legible. ;)

Capture with 1P 5.1 over a dark background attached.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thibaut,

I think there's some confusion over which issue is fixed in version 5.1, and which issue is improved in a beta.

As littlebobbytables mentioned, the one that's resolved in version 5.1 is issue #1 from your original post (trouble navigating the 1Password extension with the keyboard).

Issue #3 from your original post is the one about translucency issues in the 1Password extension when it's on top of a dark background. That should be much better in our latest beta version of 1Password, which is version 5.3.BETA-4. You're currently using version 5.1 which is the latest stable release, and does not have that improvement yet.

I hope that helps to clear up the confusion! :)

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

You're right. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @thibaut, I'm glad I could help! :)

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Anything new about the issue #5 in my initial post? It still feels really slow to get the desired item when you type fast in the search field. In the end, isn't it possible to completely disable or remove the slide up/down animation?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thibaut,

Just to make sure we're on the same page, issue #5 from your initial post was:

5. The sliding animation when entering search terms sometimes feels very slow and often shows rendering glitches. Would it be possible to disable animations?

I know there have been some animation improvements made since you first posted that last October, but I'm not sure if the improvements were related to the specific animation you're referring to. If I understand, you're noticing a slow animation when quickly typing characters in the "Search" field in 1Password mini, is that correct? There was definitely an improvement made to that, but it might be in a beta version right now. Can you confirm which exact version of the 1Password app is on your Mac?

ref: OPM-2055

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

Just to follow up.
    Is there anything new regarding issue #2 from the first post:

When generating a new password from the extension, it's not possible to hit Enter in order to fill/copy the password. I have to do it with the mouse.

Also, is there now a way to auto-fill a TOTP passwords? Or a shortcut like ⌘+⇧+C that we use for regular passwords? I mentionned that a long time ago in another post but it's closed now, and no news. That would be so convenient, I use TOTP many times each day.

Finally, sorry if I didn't reply to the question from the last post, I forgot it. The speed is better now anyway.

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thibaut,

Thanks for following up!

When generating a new password from the extension, it's not possible to hit Enter in order to fill/copy the password. I have to do it with the mouse.

Nothing new to report, I'm afraid. We still have an open feature request for this, but I don't have any timeframe for if/when that will be implemented. Our developers haven't forgotten about it though, and hopefully we'll be able to add it in a future version.

ref: OPM-1210

Also, is there now a way to auto-fill a TOTP passwords? Or a shortcut like ⌘+⇧+C that we use for regular passwords? I mentionned that a long time ago in another post but it's closed now, and no news. That would be so convenient, I use TOTP many times each day.

1Password doesn't currently support filling a TOTP field in a web form, because the extension doesn't support filling custom fields. Also, there's no keyboard shortcut to copy the TOTP from a Login item. We do have open feature requests for both of those, and I'll be happy to add your comments.

ref: OPX-758
    ref: OPM-3053

Finally, sorry if I didn't reply to the question from the last post, I forgot it. The speed is better now anyway.

No problem at all! I'm glad to hear the speed is better now. :)

If you need anything else, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.