Google Drive and Vault Time Stamp Update

Options

I see a lot of requests to support Google Drive, but not a lot of requests for simply updating the modify date of the vault when changes are made. Is there a settings somewhere that will update the time stamp when a change is made on the vault? Without this, Google Drive or any other cloud syncing tool is useless.

I've purchased the Mac + Windows bundle, it's a deal breaker if I can't simply sync my vault between all of my devices.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Err, it does change the modified date. I just edited one of my logins and the .1password file in the /data/default folder inside the keychain had its Date Modified changed to the current datetime.

The only thing I can think that you mean is that you want the modified datetime of the keychain folder to be updated too. If this is what you're after then I'm not sure what you think that will achieve. Any syncing tool should not be relying on applications to synchronised modification times up the entire tree. Certainly, my experience of GoogleDrive is that it does not require this. It should pick up the changed .1password file and sync it without the folder being changed.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

oh, hang on, is it Windows not syncing or the Mac? I assumed Windows since you posted in the Windows forum but iirc Mac OSX treats the keychain folder as something called a file bundle; basically a folder masquerading as a file. I suppose it's possible that the GoogleDrive client for Mac isn't handling these properly.

If this is the case then use Dropbox. It works properly on the Mac.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

On Mac, your 1Password vault is a so-called "package":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_(OS_X)

Unfortunately, some cloud services have a problem with Mac packages:

https://support.box.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200670393-Support-Mac-OS-X-Package-Files
    (please note Dropbox does NOT have this problem)

As for updating the time stamp on a folder; the (NTFS) file system is supposed to take care of this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299648
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

You've misread that @svondutch‌. None of the examples of files changing invoke a change in their containing folder. Folders are only updated when something is added or removed from them. More generally, file system objects only update their modified datetime when their content changes.

If you have:

c:\F1\F2

Adding F3 under F2 will change the modified time on F2 but will not touch F1. The structure of F1 has not changed. It still have a single Folder (F2) under it and that has not changed.

If you now add:

c:\F1\F2\Test.txt

F2 will again change its modified date since it has had an object added to it. Again, F1 will not change.

Now edit the Test.txt file and save it. The file's modified date changes because it's contents has changed but none of the folders are touched.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@RichardPayne Gotcha. Do you think 1Password should modify the folder modification date? @d741b‌ suggests this might solve a problem with Google Drive (not sure whether that claim is accurate or not). Or do you think we should let the (NTFS) system do what it is there for?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

It might solve this particular scenario, but it might cause other issues. For example, a different sync service might see the modified time change on the folder and automatically try to sync the whole thing. Not much of a problem on a broadband connection, but what about mobile devices? In general I'm leery about overriding core OS behaviour like that.

@d741b first needs to confirm the problem. If you add a new login on Windows, does it sync to the Mac? If you add a new login on the Mac, does it sync to Windows. If it doesn't sync from Windows to GoogleDrive then it's not a problem with Mac bundle files.

He could also test his assertion. All he'd need to do is add a new file at the root of the keychain folder. That should cause the folder to change it's modified which should, if he's correct, cause the new logins to sync once.

If it is a bundle file problem then the core of this problem is a fault in GoogleDrive's code on OSX. @d741b‌ (and Agilebits) should open a bug with Google, assuming one doesn't already exist.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In general I'm leery about overriding core OS behaviour like that.

@RichardPayne ++

• d741b
    d741b
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, after looking into this further I realized that it is the Mac side that is not syncing with Google Drive because of the file container. Windows 7 syncs fine, I hadn't realized that there are many subfolders in the vault on Windows and just assumed the top folder was some kind of 1password file (because it had a folder icon).

If I had only Windows machines this setup would work, but because I use Windows and Mac I will have to abandon 1password. I know Dropbox would make this work, but I don't want to add another cloud provider.

Thanks for your help.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

We're sorry to hear that you're not willing to use Dropbox, a time-tested dependable tool for vault syncing.

Thanks for your interest in 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.