MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility (mrc-converter-suite)

Comments

• xnetworkerx
    xnetworkerx
    Community Member

cat ~/Desktop/neu-utf8.csv
    Title;Login Username;Login Password;Login URL;Notes

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2017

@xnetworkerx ,

You are using SEMICOLON's not COMMAs. This is a CSV file, which means Comma Separated Values. Also, your values with whitespace need to be quoted - see my header name values. An Excel export would automatically do this, so it seems you are hand creating the file (to some degree).

Nice job on using the cat command! :-)

• xnetworkerx
    xnetworkerx
    Community Member

Now it worked. Thank you for your help

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@xnetworkerx - Outstanding!!! Nice job.

Enjoy 1Password.

• brunildoo
    brunildoo
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Hi. I'm trying to convert my mac OS keychain using the AppleScript but I've failed several times. I aways receive this result:

clear;clear
    cd '/Users/brunoribeirocruz/Desktop/convert_to_1p4' && /usr/bin/perl convert_to_1p4.pl keychain '/Users/brunoribeirocruz/Desktop/brunoribeirocruz.keychain' -v
    Last login: Tue Mar 21 03:53:12 on ttys003
    Brunos-MacBook-Pro:~ brunoribeirocruz$ clear;clear

Brunos-MacBook-Pro:~ brunoribeirocruz$ cd '/Users/brunoribeirocruz/Desktop/convert_to_1p4' && /usr/bin/perl convert_to_1p4.pl keychain '/Users/brunoribeirocruz/Desktop/brunoribeirocruz.keychain' -v
    utf8 "\x97" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    (F) When reading in different encodings, Perl tries to map everything
    into Unicode characters. The bytes you read in are not legal in
    this encoding. For example

utf8 "\xE4" does not map to Unicode

if you try to read in the a-diaereses Latin-1 as UTF-8.

utf8 "\xFC" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    utf8 "\x9C" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    utf8 "\x8C" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    utf8 "\x95" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    utf8 "\x98" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2017

@brunildoo ,

Can you tell me:

1. Which version of the converter suite you are using (look at the Changes.txt file).
    2. Where this file brunoribeirocruz.keychain came from, and exactly how it was created?
  • brunildoo
    brunildoo
    Community Member

1 - I'm using the 1.10 version
    2- I created this keychain on the keychain access app, copied the iCloud passwords and paste on this new one.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2017

@brunildoo ,

Ok thanks. How were the items exported from Keychain Access?

Also run the converter manually from Terminal. Issue the following commands (you can copy / paste them)"

cd '/Users/brunoribeirocruz/Desktop/convert_to_1p4'
    /usr/bin/perl convert_to_1p4.pl  keychain  '/Users/brunoribeirocruz/Desktop/brunoribeirocruz.keychain' -v -d  2>&1  |  grep fileinfo

Please reply with the output of the command - no sensitive info will be there.

• brunildoo
    brunildoo
    Community Member

Last login: Tue Mar 21 03:55:57 on ttys003
    Brunos-MacBook-Pro:~ brunoribeirocruz$ cd '/Users/brunoribeirocruz/Desktop/convert_to_1p4'
    Brunos-MacBook-Pro:convert_to_1p4 brunoribeirocruz$ /usr/bin/perl convert_to_1p4.pl keychain '/Users/brunoribeirocruz/Desktop/brunoribeirocruz.keychain' -v -d 2>&1 | grep fileinfo
    print_fileinfo : Export file info
    print_fileinfo : size: 1021784
    print_fileinfo : kind: Mac OS X Keychain File
    print_fileinfo : mime: application/octet-stream; charset=binary
    Brunos-MacBook-Pro:convert_to_1p4 brunoribeirocruz$

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@brunildoo ,

Ok, the problem is that your file is not an exported Keychain, as per the README.pdf instructions. Yours is a binary file. Your print_fileinfo text should read:

print_fileinfo      :   kind: ASCII text
    print_fileinfo      :   mime: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Please see the Keychain -specific instructions in Exporting from your Password Manager section of the README.pdf file.

• brunildoo
    brunildoo
    Community Member

Great, it worked like a charm. Thank you so much

• QueFA
    QueFA
    Community Member

Wondering if I can use this nifty tool on contacts that were in Thunderbird?

I can export them from Thunderbird as CSV, vCard and other formats.

Cheers

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2017

Hi @QueFA,

I haven't verified the data structure of Thunderbird's vCard format, as I haven't used Thunderbird in ages. The csv converter does now support identity but a vCard really won't line up nicely, since it is a much richer structure. You could certainly try it, and see what your CSV export looks like, and add the required field column header line.

If you aren't worried about me seeing your vCard data*, and would be receptive to testing the vcard converter, I'd be willing to take a look at adding support for Thunderbird's vCard export. If we do this, I'd eventually install Thunderbird and create some sample contacts data to create my own vCard test data which stresses all the edge cases.

* I'd keep your contact's data confidential, of course.

• QueFA
    QueFA
    Community Member

Sure, no problem Mr. C. Let me create a few test contacts and I'll share with you. What's the best way to get the file to you and thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2017

@QueFA,

My email address is at the top of the converter scripts. Download the 1.10 version in Testing Bits mentioned in the first thread of the converter suite. We'll go from there.

For your test contacts, be sure to create some with fully-filled data, some missing data, some with customized fields / labels / values, etc. For any custom fields / labels / values, etc. you create, be sure they are self-identifying as being custom, or changes to the defaults. I want to be sure i understand the data set. As I suggested above, the vCard format is a very complex structure, and each client tends to output vCard is different ways.

• johnnystand
    johnnystand
    Community Member

Hi. I am trying to import data from eWallet .cwlt files on my Mac. I followed the instructions and get the following error: "does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm". Any ideas on how to address this error?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2017

@johnnystand ,

Can you tell me exactly how you exported your eWallet data?

And what platform are you exporting on, and converting on?

And which version of eWallet are you using?

• johnnystand
    johnnystand
    Community Member

Hi. I am using eWallet version 8.3.3 build 35468 on my iPhone. I synced my two wallets to Dropbox directly from the mobile app. Then I logged into Dropbox and downloaded to the two .cwlt files to my Mac desktop. The convert_to_1p4 utility was downloaded from this site yesterday and I dragged one of the .cwlt files over the AppleScript_Conversion_Helper application in the convert_to_1p4 folder also on my Mac desktop.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2017

@johnnystand ,

You must import your data into the eWallet desktop program. The converter cannot read the .cwlt files - I don't know if they are encrypted or not, but I suspect they are.

The converter can convert the eWallet desktop app's export. Are you able to import into the Desktop eWallet app?

• johnnystand
    johnnystand
    Community Member

Got it. One of the key reasons for moving from eWallet to 1Password is i have not been able to sync the wallet data from my iPhone (most current data) to the Mac for many months. So the desktop data is not nearly as current. But assuming that the desktop wallets are still worth using, are you suggesting that the files that I export from the desktop app should work with the utility? Thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2017

@johnnystand ,

Yes, that's correct. The Desktop app export is the data that works with the converter. Export and convert on the same platform. I'll suggest using the latest converter in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the converter suite. It is the most up to date.

• johnnystand
    johnnystand
    Community Member

Thank you

• Estrojen1193
    Estrojen1193
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Hi! I'm trying to convert from mSecure using the tool. some steps I've taken:

• Downloaded the newest version of the stable tool, dragged to desktop
    • I had originally downloaded another version with no luck, then found the newest one. I dragged all old versions to the trash, then emptied the trash. When I downloaded the new stable one, the folder was called convert_to_1P4_1. I deleted the _1
    • exported from mSecure with the instructions for the name to be pm_export.txt
    • I got an error that the file has to be called .csv, so I have a version of it with .txt and without, just to be safe
    • attempted the conversion with the conversion helper, and keep getting an error that there is no such file or directory.
    • I've looked for any spelling errors, can't figure it out.
    • Mac OS 10.12.4
    • 1Password 6.6.4, currently in trial
    • mSecure 3.5.6

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2017

Hi @Estrojen1193 ,

Your screenshot tells me what I need to know - thanks for that. Move the convert_to_1p4 folder that is inside your onepassword-utilities to the Desktop. It looks like you have a folder path like Desktop > convert_to_1p4 > onepassword-utilities > convert_to_1p4 and that's not what you want. Just rename the folder convert_to_1p4 on your Desktop to TEMP and then drag that folder deeper inside named convert_to_1p4 to the Desktop and re-run the conversion.

• Estrojen1193
    Estrojen1193
    Community Member

@MrC thank you!! Does it matter which export I try to convert...the one with .txt in the name, or without? PS, nice work annotating the screen grab!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2017

Hi @Estrojen1193 ,

The name and suffix of the file does not matter - only the content matters. If you exported via File > Export > CSV File..., then that's fine - use whatever name was created. In your case, it appears to be pm_export.txt.csv.

• Estrojen1193
    Estrojen1193
    Community Member

That got it, once I left the option blank! Now it looks like I need to go in and clean up the entries, as many of them are now secure notes, and the passwords didn't translate. Is this normal?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Estrojen1193 ,

Great, you made progress.

The converter supports mSecure's stock item types:

supported import types: bankacct birthdays callingcards clothes combinations creditcard email frequentflyer identity insurance login membership note passport prescriptions registrationcodes socialsecurity unassigned userdefined vehicleinfo voicemail

But those do not all map naturally to 1Password's categories, so the converter forces items into one of:

supported export types: bankacct creditcard email identity login membership note passport rewards socialsecurity

So, things like voicemail entries will go to Secure Notes.

Now, if you have some items that you thing should have mapped to a specific 1Password category, please let me know what the issue is, or how you would like the converter tailored for you (its easy to do, I just need to know what you want).

Can you explain what you meant by "passwords didn't translate" ?

• Estrojen1193
    Estrojen1193
    Community Member

@MrC it looks like that on most of the entries, the login and password are listed together, separated by a comma, in a note. I had several different categories of entries in mSecure, in addition to some custom fields. I'm not sure what to ask for at this point.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2017

@Estrojen1193 ,

A few questions....

1. Was your export done on OS X?
    2. Which version of mSecure are you using?

mSecure has a very bad CSV exporter, the data is ambiguous, it is lossy, and the beginning and ending of fields is ambiguous. It is possible that your data has some values that cause the login name/password joining that you are seeing, or it could be that you are using a version where the export format has changed.

As for your custom Types, there is not indication of the field names or meanings in the CSV export - mSecure is very weak here. Example:

Personal,MY_CUSTOM_TYPE,my custom type entry,Some \"notes\" are \n\"\nare done.,value 1,value 2,"value 3, with a comma"

To get that data converted into a particular 1Password category, you'd have to tell me the name of the Type (e.g. in my example above "MY_CUSTOM_TYPE", and the meaning of each field in the export. That way, I could add to the table that maps types to 1Password categories and defines the field meanings.

This discussion has been closed.