MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility (mrc-converter-suite)

Comments

• Estrojen1193
    Estrojen1193
    Community Member

@MrC The export was done on OSX, 10.12.4. mSecure 3.5.6. What I will do is do the "cross reference" for the categories from mSecure to 1Password. I only have a few that I added truly custom fields, so most are basic with name of site/app, login/password/secret questions. Give me a few days, but I'll get it. Thank you so much for your help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2017

@Estrojen1193 ,

That sounds basically correct. But be sure to cross reference the data that is present in the CSV export file.

For the login/password being incorrectly split, what I'll need to see is a single sample line of your CSV file, where the problem exists. Change the username and password for security. But please pick a problematic entry where the username and password contain no Spaces, Commas, or Double Quotes. You can post the line here, or send it to me via email (my email address is at the top of the convert_to_1p4.pl script which you can open with a text editor).

Take your time, it's your project so get to it when it suits you.

• ErnieS
    ErnieS
    Community Member

I am using MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 and currently running Roboform 2.6.1 on both a Mac and Windows. I am trying to move my passwords from Roboform to 1Password using the transfer software. I exported the Roboform data on the Windows machine using the "Print" function in Roboform and I get an HTML file. I moved that HTML file to my Mac and used the drop-and-drag method after installing convert_to_1p4 software. I finally got Perl to run a conversion after getting the converter moved to the desktop but I got a bunch of conversion errors and no output file (where does it put this file, anyway??). Here are the errors from the command window:

ernie$ cd '/Users/ernie/Desktop/convert_to_1p4' && /usr/bin/perl convert_to_1p4.pl roboform '/Users/ernie/Desktop/goodstuff.htm' -v
    utf8 "\xFF" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    (F) When reading in different encodings, Perl tries to map everything
    into Unicode characters. The bytes you read in are not legal in
    this encoding. For example

utf8 "\xE4" does not map to Unicode

if you try to read in the a-diaereses Latin-1 as UTF-8.

utf8 "\xFE" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    utf8 "\xA3" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    utf8 "\xA9" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    utf8 "\xA8" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    utf8 "\xAE" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    Unexpected RoboForm print list format; please report your platform and version of RoboForm

Ernests-iMac:convert_to_1p4 ernie$

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2017

HI @Ennie,

Export and Conversion must generally be done on the same platform, since the file formats are different, and there is no facility in the converter to specify the export platform type (for a variety of reasons, this presents several challenges).

That said, I did put a sneaky trick into the roboform converter to support this. Add the `--windows`` option to your command line, and it should do the right thing. (I added this option for me to debug these files on OS X).

• ErnieS
    ErnieS
    Community Member

Thanks. But, it doesn't recognize this option. I get:

Ernests-iMac:convert_to_1p4 ernie$ cd '/Users/ernie/Desktop/convert_to_1p4' && /usr/bin/perl convert_to_1p4.pl roboform '/Users/ernie/Desktop/goodstuff.htm' -v --windows

*** Unknown option: windows

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Ennie,

Oh, sorry, you need the 1.10 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the converter suite thread.

• ErnieS
    ErnieS
    Community Member

Worked Great!! Thanks for the converter! Now to try out 1Password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Excellent, and you're welcome.

Enjoy 1Password, @Ennie !

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2017

Follow-up to @Estrojen1193 's issue above. We resolved the issue offline. Estrojen1193 had customized many of the stock categories, so the msecure converter was unable to recognize them. With Estrojen1193's guidance, I created a customized version of the converter module to match the category templates, and the conversion / import was completed satisfactorily.

• DaveyDave
    DaveyDave
    Community Member

Hi. Because data exported from 1Password is unencrypted, I export directly to an encrypted disk image. I then convert the data.1pif file using the "1Password (for printing)" converter. The output file is saved to my Desktop which I then move to my encrypted disk image. Is it possible to save the output file directly to the encrypted disk image? Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2017

@DaveyDave ,

You can use the -o option to specify the output file's location. Eg:

$ perl convert_to_1p4.pl onepif --format html_expanded 1P4_login.1pif -o foo.html -v
    Imported 1 item
    Exported 1 login item
    Exported 1 total item
    Your output file is foo.html

• DaveyDave
    DaveyDave
    Community Member

@MrC ,

Thanks for the fast response. It worked perfectly.

By the way, the html_expanded format is awesome!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@DaveyDave ,

You're very welcome, and thanks for the kind words!

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member

Back in February/March, there was a thread regarding a converter for Lockbox Pro. You indicated you were too busy to write one then; might you have time now (or in the near future)? I have used LockBox Pro for many years (and have recommended it to many of my friend, who are now users) and we need a solution to transfer our data to a better-supported password manager (like 1Password). Thanks for your help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @djustman ,

Sure, I'd be happy to write one. It will suffer from the limitations I mentioned in the sequence of threads (which I had to go back and re-read, since I'd forgotten about them). The data in Password box, as you see it, and as exported, is quite free format, so the best the converter can do is guess at the fields (based upon your help telling me what they are).

I don't have Password Box on my system. So I'll need you to generate for me an export file that contains dummy information for the available Category types (which according to the user @mclarenm would be Credit Card, Bank Account, Password, Contact Info, Notes, Other. Please include in one or more of them multi-line Information sections, and some Notes. I'll use this to write the converter and test it, and we can work out the details. It will likely be a back-and-forth process between you and I.

It will be challenging to reliably detect any data that should go into 1Password's Login category since Password Box does not have a Login category (it does have Password category). So if you have, for example, your Login records in the Other category and use a fairly consistent naming scheme for your URLs, passwords, and usernames, I'll need to know what that scheme is.

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

OK, here are several entries from my LockBox export (I've gone ahead and modified some of the sensitive data):

[ data deleted my MrC ]

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2017

@djustman ,

Oh, sorry, I should have mentioned. Email the raw file to me, since I have to read exactly the format you have (and copy / paste ruins that). That's why I'd need you to create a dummy, sample file, since I'll need the actual file generated. I'm going to delete your data above.

My email is at the top of the convert_to_1p4.pl script, which you can read with a text editor. Download from Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the converter suite .

We can work out any additional details via email, so as not to pollute this thread.

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member

the export function uses shared wi-fi to transfer data from the iPhone to a desktop browser window
    what I posted was exactly as it appeared in the browser window (with the modifications to sensitive info)
    tell me what you need me to send you
    thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2017

@djustman ,

Ok, then you can save the web page using your browser. How you do this depends upon the browser you use. For example, in Firefox, it would be File > Save Page. We can try both Text File and Web Page, HTML Only. With Safari, it is File > Save As and you choose Page Source. I'd like to work with just one format, so lets just go with the HTML output (i.e. Web Page, HTML Only or Page Source).

You can edit this file to modify it, but be careful as to which editor you use. Be sure it is UTF-8 capable, and doesn't change the format! Unfortunately, this will be difficult for me to explain how to do, and how to detect.

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member

I'm using Chrome. I can change the "view" to source file, but my only option to save it is as "text"

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member

I also saved the exported file as a Microsoft Word doc, in which I used repeated "search & replace" commands to format it into discrete blocks of text, separating each entry with double-paragraphs

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@djustman,

I can't use the Word document. It is entirely too much difficulty to read this format.

Since you are using Chrome, use File > Save Page As > Webpage, HTML Only.

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member

Under File > Save Page As > my only two choices are "text" and "All Files"
    I'm using Chrome on a Mac
    Should I try this in Safari instead?

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member

Safari offers "Page Source" and "Web Archive" as choices under File > Save As >

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member

How do I edit the .webarchive file?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@djustman,

I'm confused about your Chrome choices:

In Safari, use Page Source.

Don't save as a webarchive file. That would be because you are saving as a Complete page, not just HTML only.

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member

OK, I've edit the file in Text Edit
    Where should I email it?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@djustman ,

I mentioned it in this post above.

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member

I'll get back to this later this afternoon. Have a Dr.'s appt in 15 minutes. Thanks.

• djustman
    djustman
    Community Member

Just sent off the sample file via email. Hope I have it in the proper format. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.