1Password visability

Alex161
Alex161
Community Member

On my PC, when I want to log into a site, I can see the 1Passwpord key to click on and get up the password logins. However, On my iPad4, this is not the case and it can cause problems not being able to access the 1Password.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but would appreciate someone explaining how to access my passwords when using the iPad.
Cheers
Alex

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

The answer depends on whether you're using 1P4 or 1P5 on your iPad. If you're using 1P5 (which runs under iOS 8) you can use 1Password 5 in any app which supports the 1P extension (like Safari): read about the extension, and how it works, here.

If you're using 1P4 you either have to do a fair amount of copying and pasting between 1P and the relevant app or use the built-in 1P browser (which works quite well, in my experience).

Does that help? If you need more help please say which version of 1P you are using and explain exactly what you want to do.

Stephen

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member

Hi Stephen, not sure. I have a PC with Windows7 Ultimate 64bit and have 1Password on that linked to my Apple iPad4 with iO7. I update the PC regularly and the latest 1Password is 526 updated on te 22 October. What I would like to do is be able to access the 1Password information when loging in to a site, but it si not shown the way it is on my PC. Any help please ?

• Hi @Alex161‌

That integration requires that you update to iOS 8 on your iPad. Then you can use the Safari extension that Stephen_C mentioned:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/extension

If for some reason you cannot/will not upgrade to iOS 8 at this point, you can instead use the browser built into 1Password:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/1browser

Thanks.

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member

Ahhhhh, Thank you so much. I didnt know I could do that with my iPad & iOS7, but now I know. I have delayed moving ti iOS8 as ther were lots of problems initially. |Hopefully they will soon be sorted and I can move forward.

I appreciate your help.
    Malcolm

• No problem, Malcolm. :) Enjoy!

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member

Just a little question. When I open using 1Password, does that not stay open, rather than close down?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Malcolm ( @Alex161 ),

Just to confirm - is your question about 1Password for Windows or 1Password for iOS? On iOS, apps will remain open in the background as long as they are not using too much memory. If you have a lot of apps open, sometimes the iOS will close apps that are not currently being used. You won't notice much of a change here, because you can still switch to the app using the fast-switching view, the iOS will simply re-open the app when you switch back to it.

If I've misunderstood your question, please let me know!

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member

Thanks Megan. I was just a little concerned that if I am accessing web sites and my 1Password stays open, is there any security risk? When used on my PC to access a particular password, the 1Pasdsword closes down soon after it has been used.
    Malcolm

• I think there is a disconnect when we're using the word 'open' here -- when we're saying 'open' we mean the application is running. It sounds like you are taking 'open' to mean what we would call 'unlocked'?

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member

That's what I thought. On the iPad, if I open a site through 1Password rather than through, say Google, then 1Password seems to stay unlocked until I have finished on that site. Is this a security problem?

• @Alex161 1Password for iOS will automatically lock after a period of time defined by tapping on Settings > Security > Auto-Lock. 1Password will then lock after the specified amount of time from your last tap in 1Password. Hope this helps, but let me know if I missed something.

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member

Thanks for that. It seems my worries were unfounded.
    Malcolm

• Thanks for the update @Alex161!

This discussion has been closed.