Agilebits discussions passwords not accepted

Options
Niklas
Niklas
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Lounge

I have discovered some oddities with how passwords are handled by the discussion board's software. I have recorded a movie, but as it contains a few personal details I'd rather send it directly to someone at Agile Bits.

The general gist of the problem I think is imperfect escaping of the password string when comparing the stored hash (hopefully) with the input.

Example of passwords that do work:

BMaTR.uJfVaRNyz9u28kE2#y@BrEc zjBvTkDAZns48G3xgAdUuLaedhVK.oJKPAA3DYfpkkPZqDRofD

Examples of passwords that do not work:

Ri8oR2uvMTzPa{poMv{H((YBupdNLjCEBb;xqkV*)vtQZ*q@p} 7kr^b%gtNKn&Gcr}a++tAcf[wD2rJi[QuoGNQbV=pzDeX{nGxM XCqsgax?V9kXshEyJZjYtmaG@9G^i2QGuUZQiVsZJf AYDpdjiN@aZ^rQ$KNNZ9vc[N6B(tv6

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Niklas‌

Unfortunately we don't have control over the software that runs the forums, so this isn't something we'll be able to fix directly, but I'd be happy to pass the feedback along to our forum software provider.

Thanks.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! If you like you can attach my e-mail address (I believe you can access it in my profile info) when you contact them so that they may contact me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Niklas,

Thanks so much for the offer! I'll be sure that gets passed along.

• Hi @Niklas,

The guys at Vanilla Forums can't reproduce this, so they need a bit more info. I've sent them your contact info as you've permitted and they'll follow up with you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT‌ the bug is still very much reproducible.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Niklas,

I hope that you are able to help Vanilla reproduce and fix the issue. Thanks for your attention to this matter. :)

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌ I emailed you on the 15th (right around when I posted my last comment).

It has id #RPV-73395-629 if you were to only send me their contact details or forward my email to them you can clear my issue from your queue and forget about this. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Niklas,

Thanks so much for that! As Mike mentions above, your contact details have been forwarded along to Vanilla - they'll follow up with you directly. :)

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

That was two weeks ago @Megan‌…

• Ben
    Options

I'm sorry Vanilla has not yet followed up with you but the best I can suggest is patience... If there is a bug in their software that is something they will need to fix. I do apologize for the inconvenience, and for the delay on their behalf. I'll see if we can ping them again about the issue.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I look forward to the day I will hear from them.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

It's been two weeks since I emailed you on issue #RPV-73395-629. When are you planning on answering?

• Ben
    Options

Niklas,

Rob replied to that message 10 days ago. The new ticket ID is NWT-47468-963. Please check your spam folder.

Thanks.

Ben

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

That's a different ticket (about iCloud sync)!

It has nothing to do with your forums string escaping.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Niklas,

Unfortunately, we're not able to do much more with respect to the forum issue. As we've mentioned above, this will need to be investigated by Vanilla. I do apologize that they haven't gotten into contact with you yet. I'll mention @MikeT here, as he deals with the Vanilla team more directly - perhaps he'll be able to check in with them.

Thanks for checking in on us here, I'm sorry we're not able to help more directly!

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

At the very least you could have the damn courtesy of replying to my email.

• Ben
    Options

@Niklas‌

We've replied to you here... We don't have anything further to add via email.

Thanks.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

If you don't want to communicate via email I'll just post detailed instructions here on how to defeat your forums faulty input escaping. I thought I could somehow appeal to your sensibilities and be responsible about security issues, but no, if that's the way you want it, sure…

• rob
    Options

Sorry, @Niklas‌, your emails were merged into one conversation, so I missed the reference to this issue. I've followed up with your email.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.