Some passwords display with last 2 chars replaced with ellipsis [Known issue, working on a fix]

Options
semblance
semblance
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

Another small issue with 1Password for Mac 5.0.1.

With "Conceal passwords" enabled, clicking the "Reveal" button displays the entire password as expected. But with "Conceal passwords" disabled, some passwords are displayed with their last two characters replaced with an ellipsis.

Furthermore, clicking the "Reveal" button in this case does NOT get rid of the ellipsis as expected — even though there's acres of white space to the right. The only way to view the entire password then is to click Edit.

The passwords that are impacted tend to be the longer ones — e.g. those more than 22 characters long, but not all of them. Strangely, when it does happen it's always the last 2 characters that are replaced with an ellipsis, regardless of the length of the password.

Sadly there are times when you do need to view passwords in cleartext (e.g. when reading it on one device in order to type it in on another) so this bug does have an impact.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Have you tried making the window wider? My recollection is that the extra room will allow everything to show.

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I didn't try that because there is already a vast amount of white space between the password and the edge of the window.

However, now that you mention it, making the window wider does make the ellipsis disappear... but only until you next navigate to that item. If you then navigate to a different item and then back again, the ellipsis is back — even though the window is now larger.

In fact it doesn't matter how wide you make the window, navigating away from the item and back again always displays the password with an ellipsis.

So making the window wider is a good workaround, @hawkmoth — better than pressing Edit. Thanks.

But it's still quite clearly a bug.

• Hi @semblance,

That does indeed sound like a layout bug. Would it at all be possible to get a screenshot of such a window? Obviously black out any sensitive information. Specifically I'd be looking to get insight into things like which language you're using the app in which would dictate what kind of text is in the labels on the left, and how long of passwords or other data you may have in the field values, how wide of a window you have, etc...

I'd like to be reproducing your scenario as closely as possible in order to get this fixed up right.

Thanks

Rick

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Sure, here's one:

You can see where the RH edge of the window is by the position of the padlock in the upper right corner.

In this case the actual password (generated for test purposes) is: G~m_%LwOW9,BDQx1`$pX

But the last two characters are incorrectly displayed as "…"

It's really weird. I'd say about 20% of my items exhibit this issue, but I can't see anything they have in common (in the password field or any other fields).

As it happens, the item in the screenshot has no other attributes apart from title and password (no username, tags, notes, or other fields) — but not all the items that exhibit the issue are like this; many are normal web site logins with many more fields populated.

I tried generating 8 new test Login items, and none of them exhibited the issue. I tried changing their passwords, changing the length of the passwords, changing the values of other fields to resemble existing items exhibiting the issue — but nothing worked, I could not reproduce the issue on a newly created item.

So then I tried duplicating one of the existing items that does exhibit the issue, and found to my surprise that the duplicate also exhibits the issue. In fact it continues to exhibit the issue even if I change the password in the duplicate! I can change the password in the duplicate as many times as I want — and as soon as I click save, the last two characters are always displayed as an ellipsis, as long as the password length is 19 characters or greater.

I'm changing the password using 1Password's in-place random password change feature, by clicking Edit, then clicking the combination lock icon, dragging the slider to change the length, and finally clicking Save.

That's how I generated the screenshot: I simply duplicated an existing item that exhibited the issue (which happened to be a passphrase for an encrypted drive, which is why it doesn't have any other fields), changed its name to "Test" and changed the password randomly.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @semblance,

Thanks for the detailed followup and taking time to do all this testing.

After doing testing here I've found a way to consistently generate passwords of varying lengths, within certain ranges, that display a trailing ellipsis in the item details pane. The ellipsis will disappear if the password is changed so it's outside of those length ranges. And toggling View > Conceal Passwords (e.g. using the Control-Command-P shortcut) off and on will temporarily remove the ellipsis from the currently displayed item. Also will resizing the details pane.

I've filed a bug report. Thanks again for your help!

ref: OPM-2525

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @sjk‌ for your characteristically efficient response! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @semblance,

@sjk is a pretty handy guy to have around, isn't he! I'm glad he was able to help you out here.

You know where to find us if you have any further questions ... or notice anything else that needs a little bit of polish. :)

• mkleehammer
    mkleehammer
    Community Member
    Options

I have passwords revealed and they are often truncated ("..." displayed on the end) when I save a new item or open an item. There is plenty of space on the screen and if I resize the window at all, it displays the full value.

Not fatal but definitely highly annoying.

1Password
    Version 5.0.2 (502006)
    Mac App Store

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mkleehammer‌,

Could you please take a screenshot of what you're seeing? (To avoid sending any sensitive information, just create a dummy entry with some fake details.) I'm using the Mac App Store version as well, and I only see the ellipses when my password is longer than the window - there doesn't seem to be any wasted space here.

demo data shown

Please let me know if you're seeing something different!

• Brandon_Leudke
    Brandon_Leudke
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue. Even short passwords are truncated by an ellipsis [ … ]

Screenshot attached.

Thanks,

Brandon

1Password Version 5.0.2 (502007) Mac App Store

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @Brandon_Leudke‌

Thanks so much for sharing! I've merged this discussion with a previous report of the issue.

and @mkleehammer‌, I'm sorry I didn't notice this earlier!

Turns out, our developers are already investigating this. For some reason, the ellipses only appear for passwords of a certain length (14-15, 18-19, 23-34, for example.) We'll do what we can to have this sorted out for you soon!

ref: OPM-2525

• GeniusRedacted
    GeniusRedacted
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from from me too. Such a weird issue. For a few minutes I was wondering why I had added ellipses to my passwords.

• Hi @GeniusRedacted,

Sorry for the trouble! We'll get this fixed in a future update.

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Looks like this one's fixed in v5.3 - can't see any passwords ending with ellipses (assuming that is the plural of ellipsis?)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yep, 'twas another bug swatted in 5.3:

• Fixed problem where certain passwords were truncated with ellipses. {OPM-2525}

Thanks for the follow-up on that, @semblance!

This discussion has been closed.