Sync Multiple Macs and iOS Devices

Options
onepassword_user
onepassword_user
Community Member

My specifics are:

1. Running 1Password 5 from App Store on all Macs and iOS devices.
  2. Multiple Macs (Yosemite)
  3. Multiple iOS devices (iOS 8.x)
  4. Not wanting to Dropbox sync
  5. Not wanting to iCloud Sync
  6. Single vault

Is there any way I can I sync between these devices? I see here that "Wi-Fi sync is only available between a single Mac or PC and one or more iOS devices". I'm thinking I'm unable to do this with 1Password 5 I believe I used to be able to.

Thank you.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @onepassword_user‌

The set-up you refer to in the post that you linked to should still work just fine. As Roustem suggests in that thread, you can use Folder Sync to keep your Macs synced up, or your workaround of using your iOS device as an intermediary to sync the Macs should still work.

Are you running into any complications? If so, please let us know what you're seeing and we'll work with you to get it sorted out!

• onepassword_user
    onepassword_user
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thank you for the reply @Megan‌, what happens with me though is the full contents of my iOS 1Password vault appear to be replaced with the contents of the second Mac upon my sync with the second mac. When I begin the sync on the second mac I receive a brief notice on screen that it's receiving 0 of 577 items before rapidly completing all 577 items. For example my "Favorite" category unexpectedly fewer items. Where as I expected to only receive a handful of updated items in the login. The wording in the 1PW5 Guide reads to me that WiFi sync only supports one desktop/laptop type computer to multiple iOS devices. "Wi-Fi sync is only available between a single Mac or PC and one or more iOS devices"

Are you sure that syncing multiple desktops to multiple iOS devices are supported.

I'll try and perform some testing this evening schedule permitting.

--

onepassword_user

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @onepassword_user,

what happens with me though is the full contents of my iOS 1Password vault appear to be replaced with the contents of the second Mac upon my sync with the second mac.

That doesn’t sound right. We have folks using 1Password on iOS devices syncing updates from one Mac to another Mac without any issues, it's very common when syncing your data between home and work computers that doesn't allow cloud services.

Can you explain the steps you’re taking to sync between all three. How are you switching the sync from one to another Mac?

The wording in the 1PW5 Guide reads to me that WiFi sync only supports one desktop/laptop type computer to multiple iOS devices.

The Wi-Fi server that serves data are within the desktop apps, the iOS app is just a client that connects to the desktop app before syncing in both directions.

When you connect to a different Wi-Fi server (1Password on a different desktop), 1Password on both sides will communicate and compare data. It will only sync data that has changed, not the way you’ve experienced because there is no code in 1Password for iOS that wipes out the current data and pulls in a fresh database. In the other words, to make that happen, you have to wipe the data manually before syncing with the other Mac.

The only thing I can think of is that your first set of data cannot be decrypted or shown because it is encrypted with a different master password and you're only able to see the second set of data. It could be a bug but it doesn't explain why we haven't seen others reporting or us not able to reproduce this when we tested this.

Can you tell me if the master password of 1Password apps on multiple apps are the same or different?

This discussion has been closed.