Assigned/Unassigned

I have found a log-in item which is listed in the Folder (All) and in the folder (Log-in). However it is not listed in any of my folders, nor is it listed in Unassigned. I had assumed that any login not in a specific folder would automatically be in unassigned. What am I misunderstanding?
On a separate but related issue when a login is assigned to a folder there is no indication in its record where it is assigned. So for example if I highlight a record in Login (All) I cannot see where it is assigned: correct?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I had assumed that any login not in a specific folder would automatically be in unassigned.

Correct.

What am I misunderstanding?

If it's not in Unassigned then it will be in a folder somewhere. Hate to say it but you need to look through your folders again.
    A quick way to do that it type in a search term that will match your errant login and then just click through the folder list until it shows up.

On a separate but related issue when a login is assigned to a folder there is no indication in its record where it is assigned. So for example if I highlight a record in Login (All) I cannot see where it is assigned: correct?

Correct, but that would be a good feature to have. +1
    Folder assignments aren't encrypted so this shouldn't be too difficult. Any chance @svondutch?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

"If it's not in Unassigned then it will be in a folder somewhere. Hate to say it but you need to look through your folders again. A quick way to do that it type in a search term that will match your errant login and then just click through the folder list until it shows up."

And there, as Hamlet said, is the rub. I do exactly what you say and they do not show up. I had located three such. I assigned one to a folder and now it appears in that folder. The other two can only be seen in the Login Folder and the All Folder.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Is there such a thing as hidden folders in 1Password?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

On a separate but related issue when a login is assigned to a folder there is no indication in its record where it is assigned. So for example if I highlight a record in Login (All) I cannot see where it is assigned

1. Click on "All"
    2. View > Show Folder Name in All --> ON
    3. Press Ctrl+F
    4. Search for your item

1Password will tell you in the "Folder Name" column what folder your item is in.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you. I did not know that. Following your instructions I reviewed all the login items that did not show a folder name and then checked to see if they were shown in the unassigned folder: two were not. For me this is not critical because I can always assign them to a folder. In fact I have dragged them into the unassigned folder for the moment until decide what to do.
    Thanks for your help.
    By the way, I also think that both these logins were created by me manually without using browser extensions. Might that be the reason they didn't get automatically allocated into unassigned?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42 Here is something else you can try: File > Repair 1Password Vault

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Tks. I have just done that.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42, did repairing the vault help to solve the problem?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

Logins is not a folder; it's a category. The distinction is simple but significant.

Please see Working with folders and tags in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

Here's a snippet:

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

View > Show Folder Name in All --> ON

@svondutch, I don't have that option, although the folder column is there on the All view. Why do you not show the folder column when using the categories?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I don't have that option

@RichardPayne what version are you running? It got introduced with version 4.1.0.524

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne‌, are you not seeing the Show Folder Name in All command on the View menu?

If not, what version of 1Password are you running?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I'm not sure as the display on the about box is corrupt under Wine. However, I checked it on the Windows VM and it's there. Ignore me.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Never!

(...but thanks for letting us know it's there.)

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

DBrown regarding your post #10. Thanks and I understand that. However in my case I could prove that amongst the logins listed in the All Folder were three that were neither in unassigned nor in another folder,(folder column was blank). I subsequently dragged them into the unassigned folder and later assigned them to a new folder. What I can tell you is that each of these three logins was created manually by me without using what I believe you call browser extensions and I'm wondering if in those cases they do not get put in the unassigned folder.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

Just to clarify the previous point. When a login entry in the "All" folder has a blank in the folder column it should be able to be found in the Unassigned folder. Three of my logins had blanks in the folder column in "All" and yet were not to be found in the "Unassigned" folder.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@Drew_AG your comment #9. No, it made no difference.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42, thanks for the clarification!

I tried creating a Login item in the main 1Password program (instead of using the extension) and it correctly appeared in the Unassigned folder, so I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence in your case, or if maybe there used to be a bug that has since been fixed.

Do you still have any remaining items that are not listed in Unassigned or any user-created folders? Hopefully the problem is solved now, but if it happens again, or if you're able to find steps to reproduce the issue, please let us know and we'll be happy to continue looking into it. Thanks! :smiley:

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

No everything is now either in a folder in unassigned. If it happens again, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the support.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

No problem @Andrew42, we'll be glad to help if it happens again!

This discussion has been closed.