iCloud sync not working between Mac and iOS

Options
Megan
Megan
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: iCloud sync not working from Mac after upgrading all devices.

Comments

• thayneq
    thayneq
    Community Member
    Options

How do I fix my machine? I am having the same problem. New items I create on my Mac are not synced to my iPhone and iPad, even though everything indicates that syncing is working.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thayneq‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with iCloud. Unfortunately, I'll need a bit more information here before we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • Have you upgraded to iCloud Drive?
    • Are you signed in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• timoldmeadow
    timoldmeadow
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan‌

I have the same issue. I have 1Password V5.0 (500019) running on OS X Yosemite 10.10, v5.1.1 on my iPhone running iOS 8.1 and v5.1.1 running on my iPad with iOS 8.1.

I have upgraded to iCloud drive and am signed in with the same iCloud account on my devices.

I have tried disabling syncing on all my devices, reseting iCloud from 1Password on my mac and then enabling iCloud sync again on my mac and iPhone and iPad, however this did not resolve the issue. 1Password reports that there is an existing vault when I re-enable iCloud, and that it has successfully synced however new entries do not appear on other devices. I would appreciate your help in resolving this.

Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @timoldmeadow‌

Thanks so much for the detailed report here - including your version numbers helps a lot.

Since you've already done the basic troubleshooting steps, we'll need to take a closer look at your system to determine just where things are getting tangled up. i'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• userx
    userx
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Megan. I have what appears to be the same issue. I have a Mac running 10.9.5 and 1Password 4.4.3 with iCloud sync enabled, and an iPhone 5s with 1Password 5.1.1. Both are linked to the same iCloud account. Both say they are syncing successfully, but changes on either device are not synced to the other.

• Hi @userx,

Our new iCloud sync in 1Password 5 is not backwards compatible with 1Password 4.

In version 5, iCloud sync was rewritten from the ground up to use CloudKit, a new technology from Apple that’s built into OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and iOS 8. CloudKit is not available on OS X 10.9 or iOS 7.

If you don't want to upgrade to OS X Yosemite and 1Password 5 for Mac, we recommend using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync instead.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• userx
    userx
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jasper. Thanks for your reply. I was a bit confused by your answer at first, because I only recently upgraded to 1Password 4 and didn't realize you subsequently released 1Password 5. When did this happen? I bought 1Password 4 Family Pack on Sept 29 and have not received any notification that an update was available.

• userx
    userx
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again. I just tried to use WiFi sync but I get an error message: Sync Problem, Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Cod=60. "The operation couldn't be completed. Operation timed out." The phone sees my Mac, and I entered the secret. Tried a generating a second secret as well, no luck. It worked so well in 1Password 3! I'm really sorry I updated to iOS 8 and the new 1Password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @userx,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with 1Password since upgrading. This error usually pops up when there is something blocking communication between the Mac and the iOS device. Could you please confirm that the OS X firewall is disabled, and that you have no third-party firewalls enabled? If you do have firewalls, they need to be set to allow the localhost ( 127.0.0.1).

Please let me know if this helps! :)

• gab
    gab
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm running 1PW 4.4.2 on my Mac which is running OS 10.9.5. And on my iPad I have iOS 8.1 and I've got 1PW 5.1.2. When I try to sync from my iPad using the WiFi it asks me for my Mac password. After I enter the pw a couple of times, it shuts down. When I try to sync with iCloud, it says that no data was found on iCloud even though I have iCloud set up. I purchased 1Password so that I could sync between devices and this is frustrating. I hope you can give me a fix.
    Thx.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @gab‌

You've been caught out by the changes to iCloud I'm afraid. As of iOS 8 and Yosemite Apple have changed iCloud and introduced CloudKit for syncing. 1Password 5 makes use of this new framework but there is no backwards compatibility between the new iCloud and old. What this means is that as far as iCloud is concerned there is a rift between iOS 8/Yosemite and iOS 7/Mavericks or lower.

In regards to iCloud it's the case that either all devices are running 1Password 5 (which require iOS8 or Yosemite) or all devices are running 1Password 4 and you haven't upgraded to iCloud Drive at any point as this is a one way process. There is one more caveat and it's a big one. As of the new iCloud Apple are enforcing the restriction that CloudKit access is for Apple purchased software only (see this announcement for more details) so not only would you need 1Password 5 for Mac running on Yosemite but it would have to be the MAS version too.

Now I don't know you feel about it but Dropbox, being a 3rd party sync service is still a viable solution to sync between 1Password 4 and 1Password 5 (no matter where it was purchased).

Does this explanation help?

• gab
    gab
    Community Member
    Options

Dear LBT

Your explanation is very convoluted and you don't explain how I can solve this problem. If I install MacOS 10.10 will that solve the problem? Please don't assume that I know what Yosemite is.

And why can't I get it to work over the easiest mechanism of Wifi? Why does it shut down? All the time I'm supposed to save with 1PW is being used up trying to figure out how to get to work as advertised. Very frustrating.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gab‌

OS X 10.10 is indeed Yosemite. You would need to install OS X 10.10, follow that by installing 1Password 5 but even then you would only have access to iCloud syncing if you had purchased 1Password from Apple's Mac App Store. iCloud (CloudKit) syncing will only work between the MAS version of 1Password 5 and 1Password 5 for iOS.

Now for troubleshooting your Wi-Fi Sync. You've obviously successfully navigated enabling Wi-Fi Sync in 1Password 4 on your Mac and entered the secret correctly on your iOS device, you wouldn't have been able to reach the screen for entering your Master Password otherwise.

The first thing worth trying is a simple reboot of your iOS device. You'd be surprised how many annoyances that can solve.

If you still have no joy, do you have any data in 1Password on your iOS device? If you don't, it won't do any harm to erase 1Password from your iOS device and download a fresh copy from the App Store on your iOS device. The fact is sometimes the installation just doesn't happen properly and downloading again may sort it.

If that doesn't help here's what I would suggest doing

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Before following the guide below I'd like you to go into Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Log Settings and enable the Sync and Wi-Fi Sync options. Then repeat the steps that lead to 1Password crashing. Even do this a couple of times for us so the log holds as much pertinent information as possible regarding the crash. Then follow the guide and steps below.

https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• gab
    gab
    Community Member
    Options

Dear LBT,
    Yes, I was able to delete and reinstall the app on my iPad and I finally was able to sync over wifi. Yea! But my joy was short lived. When I updated the master password on my Mac, I don't know how to sync that with my iPad. When I tried an export on my Mac under the file menu, 1PW locked up. I wasn't able to save or cancel or quit the app. It didn't show up as a running app next to the trash so I couldn't force it to quit. I also wasn't able to restart or shut down my Mac because it always prompted me saying that 1PW was preventing shutdown, quit the application first then try again. I was finally able to force it to quit with Cmd/Opt/Esc. But what is the sync process? Once I make a change, how do I make sure that is sync'd with my other devices?

Thanks,
    GAB

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gab‌

When you tried to export it should have brought up a small dialog asking for your Master Password, a precaution against somebody trying to quickly export your vault without your knowledge (we do the same with printing). If for some reason that dialog was to become hidden that might explain why you were having to fight so much with 1Password. Part of that is a guess, but if it were somehow possible it would at least explain your observations.

What I'd like to point out just in case you weren't aware is when you export your vault it is in an unencrypted state so it's something to be aware of.

We're working on making sync more intuitive as there are areas where how the users expect it to work isn't how it behaves. One of these is when Master Passwords are changed.

If you want to update your Master Password when you use Wi-Fi Sync the best way for the moment is simply to manually change the Master Password on each device. I know, it doesn't sound like a great procedure hence why we're working on it.

To change your Master Password on your iPad you will want to enter Settings (the little cog icon that I believe is in the lower left hand corner of the iPad), enter Security and then the Change Master Password option. In the future this will hopefully not be necessary. Hopefully that workaround isn't too onerous until the sync improvements arrive.

If you have any questions please let us know.

• M4v3r1ck
    M4v3r1ck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @gab You mentioned your Mac password was asked when syncing over WiFi on iOS device. IIRC you must enter the secret code provided by 1P application on your Mac when setting up your sync over WiFi. Hope this helps!

• MB2
    MB2
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I also have 1P 4.4.3 OS X 10.9.5 and 1P 5.1.2 on iOS 8.1.1 so I tried using WiFi sync & was getting errors connecting the iPhone to the Mac/1Password.

I found out that I had to turn off an option in the Mac Firewall setting temporarily for the WiFi sync to work.

I went to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options and unchecked "Block all incoming connections".

Then 1Pasword WiFi sync started to work.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MB2‌

You're quite right, for Wi-Fi Syncing to work your Mac has to allow incoming connections.

• denssull
    denssull
    Community Member
    Options

I use 1Password constantly and think it is the greatest--at least up until now. I was required to make a new Apple password which I did on 1Password5 on my mac. Now the new password does not synch to my iphone. I've read the string of comments. My mac is fully updated to the latest iOS8 version OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 as is my phone IOS 8.1.2. I have 1Password5 version 5.0.2 on my mac (wifi) and password pro on my 5S which said it synced on wifi one minute ago. Now I've deleted the 1Password app on my iphone and re-installed it and attempted to follow the instructions to synch via Dropbox. Of course I could not get my Dropbox password on my 1Password on my phone. So I had to unconceal it on my mac then type it into the Dropbox log-in on the phone. The password does not work. The last post says for synching to work, Mac has to allow incoming connections. However, I just looked and my Firewall is on on my mac. Up until this Apple password change it has been synching just fine with 1Password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @denssull‌

So you were successfully syncing by Wi-Fi but decided you wanted to change to Dropbox. I'm assuming you've set up Dropbox Sync on your Mac and the problem is all about authenticating yourself on your iOS device.

Now the previous post regarding the firewall was in connection with Wi-Fi Sync, if you're still wanting to sync by Dropbox then as long as the Dropbox sync service in your Mac menu bar is saying it is synced then you're fine. It could be worth downloading the Dropbox app to your phone and seeing if you find it easier to log into their application. 1Password for iOS recognises when the Dropbox iOS is present and it can allow permission for 1Password to access the Dropbox account. This means you don't need to enter the Dropbox password in 1Password. Typing complex passwords is a pain so take your time, check each character for typos and watch out mistaking I-l-1 and o-O-0. We do try to choose a font that makes it clear but maybe it wasn't clear enough?

Please let us know how you get along. If I've misunderstood the request and actually you've given up on Dropbox and are struggling to get Wi-Fi Sync working again please let us know. Just a suggestion for in the future, if you want to change Sync options you don't need to delete 1Password for iOS to do so, you can maintain your vault and simply change sync methods. Of course there may be another reason why you needed to delete 1Password, I just thought I'd add that in case.

• willmallorca
    willmallorca
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem with 1Password not syncing over iCloud and I do not wish to update to IOS8 or Yosemite until wifi issues have definitely been resolved. 1Password is syncing ok from my iMac to my MacBook Air, but from neither to my iPhone 5s.

I have found a fairly straightforward workaround, which is to left click on the new or updated item in 1Password and select share, email and send to myself. then open on the iPhone and (as the 1Password message says) tap on the link to copy the new or updated log-in, card or whatever to 1Password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @willmallorca‌

Certainly that's one route, did the idea of Syncing via Wi-Fi not appeal or did you have troubles?

This discussion has been closed.