Keep losing the websites in my Logins [Investigating]

Options
user666
user666
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

1Password lost the urls - not the user names or passwords - of my vaults 3 times and I'd only had it for a week. The first time I could reconstruct them using the titles. The 2nd and 3rd time I had figured out how to backup and restore. But I shouldn't have to do this this often and it makes me worry about what might happen to my passwords. Please fix this. I am on a macbook using password 5 on Chrome with the Chrome extension.

Comments

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

I've noticed today that the URL of one of my entries had disappeared as well. Thinking back this has happened before but at the time I just thought I'd forgot to update it.

Also on version 5 with Yosemiti.

• Hi guys,

That's definitely not good. Can you tell me if you're syncing your 1Password data? If yes, with what service?

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I'm syncing via iCloud to an iPhone and iPad both on ios8. Mac on yosemiti.

• user666
    user666
    Community Member
    Options

I'm syncing using dropbox. It seems to have something to do when syncing and one version is different than the other, whatever that means. I get a message saying the two are different, do I wish to merge anyway? But the two versions are almost the same.

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

I don't get any error messages but have noticed one or two url's go missing.

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Just to keep you updated I've noticed two more missing tonight. When they went I don't know but definitely deleted on their own. I have only got about 45 logins with url's and I'd guess I've lost about 5. I don't know when they went as I've spotted them one at a time when trying to log into somewhere.

I've sent in a diagnostic from my Mac today about another little issue I had, don't know if you could locate that in case it would be of interest to you.

Still a brilliant app keep up the great work guys

• rickfillion
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @charlie999 and @user666,

That's clearly unacceptable on our part. I'm very sorry to hear that this happened. I'm currently working on sync and will start digging to see what could cause this right away to see if I can at least get you some type of workaround until we've got it fixed properly.

Have you noticed other data go missing? Or so far just URLs?

Are these always Login items that it's happening to?

One of you is using iCloud to sync, and the other Dropbox. What kind of devices are you syncing with? iPhones? Other Macs?

One thing that would help me understand what's going on is a Diagnostics Report which gives us an eye into what the machine is doing. If you could send us one by following the instructions on the Diagnostics Report page, that would be greatly appreciated. If you could reference this forum thread, or mention "OPM-2531" in the email (the bug I just created to keep track of this), that'll ensure that I'll get notified when it comes in. It would be especially useful to send one in right after you noticed a URL has gone missing. That way there's a higher probability that the interesting parts of what's going on are still in the logs.

Rick

ref: OPM-2531

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Nothing else gone missing and it is only the log in url but to be honest at this stage I've only got one url per record. They may have gone all at one time but as I've said only noticed them when trying to log in. I've since looked at all other records and will check and report if I notice another go.

I've got three devices working together a Mac, iPhone and iPad. Yosemiti and iOS 8. All up to date with the updates including the one yesterday on iPhone and iPad.

As it stands the url is very easy to recover so doesn't cause me a problem but if it were a password field or other data might be a different story.

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I've jut lost a load of URL's and this is how I did it. I know the following lost them as I'd only just gone through all my records so I an keep an eye on when they went.

Ok so I read a post on this forum about being able to access your 1Pass data on drop box via a web browser at work so I thought I would set one up called Work. All this done on the ipHone with the iPad locked and the Mac sleeping.

In setting and the Vaults I taped add a vault and was only offered one choice of syncing which was Drop Box. My main Vault is synced via iCloud so thinking maybe you can only sync one via iCloud and the others have to be Drop Box I followed that line. This set up drop box etc and it was at this point that I noticed that my main Vault had moved to Drop Box! Not wanting this to happen thinking I had selected the wrong option to create when back into settings and changed back to iCloud. Instantly I was given the option to merge data. I obviously selected yes as the data on iCloud, drop Box and the iPhone should obviously be the same.

Now back on iCloud I looked through the entries and noted that I had lost the URL's of 12 of my 36 records.

Not expecting this to happen I did not check any records when syncing to Drop Box so I'm sorry but I can't say if they went moving to Drop Box or returning ti iCloud.

Hope this helps.

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

I managed to get my records back as when I logged onto the Mac it had not synced so I just deleted the app on the iPhone and set it up from fresh syncing with iCloud. I'm guessing that if I had left it much longer once the sync had taken place then the Mac would have removed all the URL's from current records thinking I had deleted them on the iPhone.

Determined to help out I did the following.

Changed sync method from Drop Box to iCloud several times on the iPhone. Every time data was OK nothing lost. I did notice though that as I had already set up the Drop Box I did not have to go through that step again.

I then deleted the folder on Drop Box used to store the sync.

I then changed to sync with Drop Box again but this time I went through the Drop Box setup process on the iPhone and a full sync took place. Now when looking I had lost the URL's again. Not all but a fair chunk.

So in short I think the URLs are lost in the full sync that happens after first setting up drop box!

Thinking back to when I first installed the app on all my devises I initially set up on iCloud and Changed to Drop Box and then back to iCloud. That was obviously the reason why I lost my URL's in the first instance but only noticed them one by one over a few days.

I hope this helps.

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I've just read this thread again and noticed that you wanted a report. I have just recreated this problem by syncing to Drop Box which as predicted lost a load of url's. I then created a report and emailed it in quoting this thread and the reference number.

Hope this helps.

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @charlie999,

i found your report and have emailed Rick, he'll look into it as soon as possible. Please stay tuned, we'll follow up as soon as we finish studying your report.

As far as I can tell, the issue is with sync conflicts, it seems to have a problem resolving it.

Email ID #: DDP-18123-623

• Hi @user666,

Can you tell me if you also sent the report? I can't find yours.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hey @charlie999‌ and @user666‌,

Can you guys please verify what is the label of your Edit buttons for the items with missing URLs? Is it Edit or Resume Editing ?

Mac

iOS

Please make sure that you check this on each of your devices.

I look forward to your replies :wink:

Have an amazing weekend!

Rad

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I can't remember what it was to be honest and I have now got all my url's back. Do you need me to recreate and let you know?

If so I could probably do it on the iphone.

• user666
    user666
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

No, the resume editing thing is not the problem. A lot of URLs are lost at once.

IMHO leaving unfinished edits to be finished later is an interesting idea, but I think it creates more problems than it solves. I made edits thinking they were done but because I forgot to hit 'save', they weren't, leaving me to wonder how many other of my edits weren't recorded and will they get lost somehow in the future. The standard method of warning someone if they click away from the edit page giving them the option to save now or cancel is better.

Also, there is a problem with the keyboard on the iPad app. A few of the keys on the right side of the keyboard don't respond ( eg 'o' ) when typing into the search field.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :+1:

I had a suspicion that the unsaved edits might have something to do with the loss of your URLs. We'll keep following this lead too.

Do you need me to recreate and let you know?

@charlie999‌, if it's not too much of a hassle for you, yes please. It would be highly appreciated. Anything that could help us to reliably reproduce the URLs loss is a great step towards solving this issue. However, please be careful with your data and make sure that you always have backups.

IMHO leaving unfinished edits to be finished later is an interesting idea, but I think it creates more problems than it solves. I made edits thinking they were done but because I forgot to hit 'save', they weren't, leaving me to wonder how many other of my edits weren't recorded and will they get lost somehow in the future.

@user666‌, we cannot decide whether we save or cancel changes for the user. The user must explicitly hit the save or cancel button.

The standard method of warning someone if they click away from the edit page giving them the option to save now or cancel is better.

@user666‌, we added the ability to resume unfinished edits because we cannot always prompt the user to save or cancel the changes. For instance, say you were editing an item on your iPhone, then the phone rang and the conversation lasted for a while. In the meantime, 1Password may have locked or may have even been killed by iOS.

In conclusion, we cannot make a save or cancel the edits you made when the phone rings. This is up to the user.

We'll keep you guys posted as we make progress. Please do the same if you find steps to reproduce or any other information that can lead us to catch this culprit :wink:

Cheers!

Rad

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I've just recreated losing my url's and immediately after looked at the records that had lost them. They all said Edit at the top right NOT Resume Edittng.

The way to recreate losing the url's is to change from iCloud sync to drop box sync but it only removes the url's on the first change over.

So delete the folder within drop box that 1Password creates and remove the 1Password app from the iPhone. Then install 1Password app and set up by syncing to your stored iCloud vault.

Now change sync method to Drop box and after the set up url's have dissaperared. It's not all and seems to be the same ones each time. Don't know the relevance of the ones that go missing.

Have you managed to recreate this yet at all?

• user666
    user666
    Community Member
    Options

For instance, say you were editing an item on your iPhone, then the phone rang and the conversation lasted for a while. In the meantime, 1Password may have locked or may have even been killed by iOS.

A suggestion: As soon as we start editing, the record gets tagged with a special tag [unfinished edit], like [secure notes] etc. When we save the edit the tag is removed. A special folder marked [unfinished edit] is always visible along with the other special folders. That way we can always check to see if we have any unfinished edits instead of wondering whether we forgot to save an edit or 10.

In any case, I still think the bug is in the sync and/or merge functions.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @user666,

A suggestion: As soon as we start editing, the record gets tagged with a special tag [unfinished edit], like [secure notes] etc. When we save the edit the tag is removed. A special folder marked [unfinished edit] is always visible along with the other special folders. That way we can always check to see if we have any unfinished edits instead of wondering whether we forgot to save an edit or 10.

This almost exactly how Resume Editing works :smile:

@charlie999‌, thanks for the detailed steps to reproduce. We'll try and recreate the issue here and we'll update you guys as soon as we have more news.

Thanks so much again once again!

Best,

Rad

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @charlie999‌ and @user666‌,

@rickfillion‌ and I spend some time yesterday and we figured it out. YAY!

The problem was caused to Logins with duplicate URLs. We recommend that you manually remove duplicate URLs for your Logins for now.

The fix is bound to come really soon on both 1Password for Mac and for iOS.

Thanks once again for helping us solve the issue.

Cheers!

Rad

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Well done but what do you mean duplicate? I don't the ones that went missing were in two places at the sane time!

• mjpark
    mjpark
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running version 5.1.1 on my iPhone and just prior to changing my sync options to sync with my Macbook Air, noticed that the rich icons were no longer showing up for my logins, and when looking at the details of each login, the website is no longer included which makes most of my login information useless! Please help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @charlie999,

By duplicate URLs, we mean Login entries that have the same website listed twice in the entry, like so:

demo data shown

Does this help?

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I thought it was something like that.

I can confirm without a doubt that none of my records have or ever have had duplicate url's and this would include the ones that dissaperared.

• Hi @charlie999,

Duplicate URLs could happen without you noticing them (or having explicitly entered them). They could exist solely in the agilekeychain/sync backend itself and not be shown in your app. In our case to get things to go wrong we had to enter them manually simply because that was the easiest way to get the duplicates into the keychain file. Once they were there, things went downhill.

I'm fairly confident that we got your issue. But we'll have to wait until it makes its way into the next AppStore builds to be certain. If that doesn't resolve it, I'll be diving back in for another round.

Rick

• charlie999
    charlie999
    Community Member
    Options

Cool. Well I can create the problem at the drop of a hat so when it's on I'll trst it for you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mjpark,

I merged your message into this thread (in the Mac forums) for the same issue. Please take a look through the messages in this discussion for more information about the problem (in short, our developers are working on this and may have figured it out).

• quantumconscious
    quantumconscious
    Community Member
    Options

I have noticed missing website addresses for no particular reason. I am using an iPhone six and iOS 8.1. Also, before this problem there was also a bug where multiple website addresses are listed even though they had been deleted by me. They kept showing up on the login as multiple website addresses. I'm getting tired of spending time repeatedly writing to tech-support with these bug issues.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @quantumconscious,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem with duplicate/missing website fields! It sounds like the problem described in this discussion. Please take a look there for more information.

Also, make sure you're using the latest version for iOS (and for Mac, if you're using that as well). Version 5.1.2 for iOS is available as of today, and an update was recently released for Mac. If you have the same problem with the latest versions, please let us know. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.