Recover directly from HD [Resolved]

Andres Pinilla Palacios
Andres Pinilla Palacios
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hi, my Mac Book died last week and I had all my passwords in 1password. I am using now the HD of my old Mac as a external HD, and I am accusing to it from a new Mac.

The question is, how can I recover the data of 1 password accessing to my old HD from my new mac? Is it even possible?

Comments

• Hi @Andres Pinilla Palacios‌,

This is absolutely possible. If you used Migration Assistant to migrate data from the old drive to the new drive (like your whole user account), then it should already be done for you. But I sometimes that's just not a realistic option to migrate a whole account. So here's how we can do it manually:

The first thing we need to know is whether you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, or from the AgileBits Store, as the instructions will be slightly different.

If You Purchased From the Mac App Store

• Quit 1Password on the new mac if it's running. Make sure you quit the mini too, otherwise we're going to be encountering problems.
    • Open a Finder window. Use the Go > Go to Folder... menu item
    • Copy/paste into the text field (including the ~) : ~/Library/Containers
    • If there's a "2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper" folder existing there, trash it, and empty the trash.
    • Open another Finder window, and navigate to your external HD
    • Find your user's account under Users. If a Library folder does not show under your user's account, you may need to use Go to Folder again to get in as OS X likes to hide those from us these days. In this case the path would look something like: /Volumes/YourExternalHD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Containers/
    • Copy the "2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper" folder from the first window to the second window. I'd recommend copying and not moving it so that if we fail we still have your old data safe and sound.
    • Restart your Mac.
    • Run 1Password

If You Purchased From the AgileBits Store

• Quit 1Password on the new mac if it's running. Make sure you quit the mini too, otherwise we're going to be encountering problems.
    • Open a Finder window. Use the Go > Go to Folder... menu item
    • Copy/paste into the text field (including the ~) : ~/Library/Application Support/
    • If there's a "1Password 4" folder existing there, trash it.
    • Open another Finder window, and navigate to your external HD
    • Find your user's account under Users. If a Library folder does not show under your user's account, you may need to use Go to Folder again to get in as OS X likes to hide those from us these days. In this case the path would look something like: /Volumes/YourExternalHD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/
    • Copy the "1Password 4" folder from the first window to the second window. I'd recommend copying and not moving it so that if we fail we still have your old data safe and sound.
    • Restart your Mac.
    • Run 1Password

I hope this helps.

Rick

• This worked perfectly. Thank you very much!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andres Pinilla Palacios

I'm so glad to hear that things are working smoothly for you now - thanks for letting us know that Rick's steps got you sorted out!

Since this issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.