1Password does not fill in username and password for all logins

brucerpeterson
brucerpeterson
Community Member

Recently I have been unable to use 1Password mini to fill in my username and password when logging into my iCloud account. I finally did a bit of debugging and found if I double-click on my iCloud entry in 1Password, it will open a new tab in Safari and take me to iCloud but it will not fill in the username and password.

In 1Password I have iCloud logins for myself, my wife, my daughter and my sister. In the mini, the only entries that show up are for my daughter and sister but only my sister's username and password gets entered when I click on it. Nothing happens with my daughter's entry. In addition to those two entries in the list which have a URL of www.cloud.com/, there are two other entries with URLs of daw.apple.com... - entries for Apple support.

If I go into 1Password itself and double-click on my daughter's entry and my entry, a new tab is created in Safari but the username and password are not entered. It works properly with my sister's entry.

So basically I see a couple of issues:

1. In 1Password, in certain instances the username and password are not entered after the tab is opened.
  2. In 1Password mini, the list of entries does not contain all the 1Password entries with the URL that Safari is pointing to.
  3. And in addition, it lists entries that point to different URLs.

Comments

• Hi @brucerpeterson‌,

Sorry to hear that this hasn't been as smooth as we'd like it to be. If I'm reading this correctly, I think you might be running into a couple different issues here.

The first issue is URLs being different... If a URL for an entry is "daw.apple.com", then that entry won't show up in the list (or shouldn't) when you're on icloud.com. If you'd like them to be, then you would need to add a URL or edit the URL. 1Password matches them on the domain name, and when you have Lenient Matching on, it only requires the first part of the domain name to match as opposed to the whole domain + subdomains.

The second issue is one where if the website changes, in some cases the filling can stop working for that item. The good news is that if you've got 1 item that does fill correctly, it's pretty easy to fix this. If you go into the item that works (in this case your sister's Login Item), you should see a button that's labeled 'show web form details'. Clicking it will reveal labels and values. This is the critical information used by 1Password to actually fill the from. So you'd want the labels to match for the items that don't currently work as compared to the labels on the item that does work. In this case the username and password fields are all we likely care about.

I hope this helps. If anything's not clear let us know and we'll be happy to help more.

Rick

• brucerpeterson
    brucerpeterson
    Community Member

Well this is weird. I checked the web form details for my sister's login and it had sc1831 (instead of username) followed by the correct username, and sc1840 (instead of password) followed by the correct password. In my login, instead it had "username" followed by my username and "password" followed by my password. So to my novice eyes, my login looks better or more appropriate. However symptoms are slightly different today. I double-clicked on her entry in 1Password and it brought up a new tab with the iCloud URL but didn't fill in the username and password. So I went to 1Password mini and selected her entry from there and it did fill in the username and password and got me into her iCloud account.

So I tried logging into my account and got the same results as yesterday: i.e. double-clicking my login in 1Password brings up the iCloud URL but doesn't fill in the username and password, and my login does not appear in the 1Password mini list.

I'm sorry to have to disagree with you but what you think should be happening and what actually is happening are two different things. I am in Safari with the URL being https://www.icloud.com and when I click on the 1Password mini icon, I get a drop-down menu with 4 entries, two of which are www.cloud.com and the other two of which are daw.apple.com (followed by a long string). I know you don't think that's possible but that's what I see.

• Hi @brucerpeterson‌,

I apologize for the confusion, iCloud.com and Apple.com are actually coded to be equal in our code, so Apple.com items will show up on iCloud.com and vis versa. We do this for some known companies that have multiple domains such as Google/Gmail/GoogleMail and so on.

From what I can understand, the issue might be the age of the items itself. iCloud.com went through several designs in the past few years and each time, we had to modify our extension in order to fill properly on iCloud.com. They have really weird designs often and it breaks our ability to fill. That's actually why you see the different data in the web form details, it was saved with different versions of iCloud.com.

Can you try manually saving a new Login item with your account and see if it works? Here’s the guide on how to do this: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/saving-a-login-manually

Let me know how it turns out.

• brucerpeterson
    brucerpeterson
    Community Member

Some progress. When I created the new login, 1Password mini seems to always fill in the username and password and sign in. However when I double-click on the new entry I created for iCloud, it always takes me to the iCloud URL but in the four times I've tried it, every other time it fills in the username and password and signs in and the other times it just takes me to the iCloud URL and doesn't fill in anything.

• Hi @brucerpeterson‌,

If you go to iCloud.com manually in the browser and press CMD+\ to fill in, is it more consistent than double-clicking on the iCloud item from 1Password?

This discussion has been closed.