Why is 1Password so regimented?

bobra
bobra
Community Member

Hi all

I'm new to 1Password and new to the forum. I'm running 1Password on my IOS devices and on a Macbook. I've migrated from eWallet, primarily attracted by the hype around 1Password but also because I've become jaded with the clunky synchronisation delivered by eWallet.

So, as a newbie, forgive me if I've got this wrong, but it appears to me that by comparison 1Password is extremely regimented in its structure. Users are restricted to predefined categories and very limited predefined entry formats. I note that there was some promise of a free form entry on this forum back in 2011 but it does not appear to have been delivered.

There is a free text "secure note" but these notes cannot be assigned to folders as far as I can tell.

For example, on the principle of wanting to keep all of my information in one place, I want to record my motor vehicles in 1Password, license no, VIN, engine no, etc but I can't find a form that comes close. I might want to record personal health data, insurance records, a myriad of "private" information but I'm locked into 17 categories and 17 corresponding templates.

Do others find this a restriction? How do you deal with it?

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

Hi Rob, there is a rather lengthy discussion that is related to the subject i guess : https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/18707/feature-request-hardware-serial-numbers-category/p1

• bobra
    bobra
    Community Member

Thanks .. I think! That thread sort of starts on my topic but gets a bit sidetracked :wink:

I'll look at the software option as a work around but it's not ideal. I wouldn't have thought it too difficult to allow the user a bit more flexibility on categories at least. And why can't you include a secure note into a folder?

Cheers

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

And why can't you include a secure note into a folder?

You can on Windows. I'd be suprised if the OSX client didn't support it.

• It does. :)

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

@bobra It does go a bit off-track indeed, it was mainly to expose different views from users.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bobra,

In the iOS app, Secure Notes are currently missing the Move to Folder option. Our developers are working on that, and in the meantime you can follow these steps to move a Secure Note to a folder in 1Password for iOS:

• Open 1Password and select the Organize section.
    • Choose a folder (or create a new one and then choose it).
    • In the folder, tap the Edit button at the top, then tap the + button at the top.
    • Find and choose the Secure Note you want to add to the folder.

Alternately, you can also move Secure Notes to folders using 1Password on your Mac. Hopefully this helps, and sorry for any confusion about that! :)

• bobra
    bobra
    Community Member

Thank you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bobra,

I'm glad that Drew was able to help you out! If you have any further questions, you know where to find us. :)

This discussion has been closed.