Better Keychain Format Options Needed - Feature Requests

Options
Mithrill
Mithrill
Community Member

Although the more private 1Password 4 Cloud Keychain Format has been out since December of 2012, the October 2014 release of 1Password 5 for Mac still does not appear to support using it when syncing via Dropbox or a local Folder. Per the Rolling out the 1Password 4 keychain article, "This is a temporary measure." Given all the effort which went into designing a better and more secure keychain format, I think a lot of users would like to see this new format be made more widely available now sufficient time has elapsed to allow the new format to be tested and implemented in the Windows version of 1Password.

• When can we hope to see the 1Password 4 Cloud Keychain Format as the default syncing format?
  • While waiting for the Cloud Keychain Format to become the default, when can we hope to have options to manually select the Folder and Dropbox syncing format?
  • Which existing versions of 1Password only support the older Agile Keychain format?

While I recognize some folks may need the older Agile Keychain format to support syncing with old versions of 1Password, I think Agile Bits should at least give power users the option to select which keychain format to use when syncing via a method other than iCloud (ideally the new format would be the one enabled by default). Having this advanced option would provide a happy medium between providing compatibility for the few users who need it and increased privacy for everyone else.

Adding an option to allow users to choose their preferred keychain format in Preferences under Sync or Advanced should be fairly easy to implement as the code base already supports creating datasets in both formats. You could even just have a checkbox which ask users if they plan to sync with one of X, Y, or Z (with the variables representing the versions of 1Password which only support the Agile Keychain format). If the box is checked, the older format is used. Otherwise, the Cloud Keychain Format is used.

Thank you for all your work to help folks keep their online accounts secure. I look forward to seeing how you continue to innovate and increase the security/privacy of 1Password.

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• Jasper
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback! We understand your excitement to use our new data format (opvault). :)

When can we hope to see the 1Password 4 Cloud Keychain Format as the default syncing format?

Each app must be coded to support the format, each sync service must support it, and then we have to do all the testing to make sure it's good to go. I can't make any promises about when that will happen though.

While waiting for the Cloud Keychain Format to become the default, when can we hope to have options to manually select the Folder and Dropbox syncing format?

We may be adding a preference to enable the new format in 1Password for Mac, but I'm not sure exactly when this will occur. 1Password for Windows already has an advanced preference to enable .opvault.

If you're really interested, it is possible to use .opvault right now, as long as you are using supported platforms. Please email us and we can help with that if you'd like: support+forum@agilebits.com

Which existing versions of 1Password only support the older Agile Keychain format?

The only current version that doesn't support .opvault is 1Password 4 for Android (and Windows Phone, but that's not exactly a current version). 1Password 3 and earlier versions also do not support .opvault, but legacy versions will never support .opvault.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.