How is "Type" used in 1P Credit Card items ?

Options
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Community Member

In the 1P Category " Credit Card", there is a fixed menu for the field "Type", and another field with User-defined "Tags".

Do those each of the individual "Type" entries (Visa, MasterCharge, ... Union Pay, Electron, JBC, Lazer ) have specific, behind-the-scenes, functions when the CC item is triggered ? If so, what do they do, and/or what happens if that field is left blank ?

Or, are they simply another way to customize CC items, like a fixed set of "tags" ?

Given the various kinds of "plastic" in my billfold, for me personally, "credit", "debit", "membership" "shipping address", "billing address", etc., would be more useful.

Again, for me personally, the other 1P Categories seem highly specific and maybe best used for archiving. But I am interested in how others are using them.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Type seems to trigger the credit card's thumbnail shown.

FYI: The "Type" field is managed as a "menu" item, which means it presents a fixed list of stock values. I've found that when generating 1PIFs, you can store non-stock values in a "menu" item, but doing so creates an oddity that when the user clicks on the type to edit the value, their non-standard type disappears from view. The code in 1Password doesn't seem to present as a choice the very value currently stored (when it is non-standard).

Tags is a field for you to add keyword values, which have meaning to you. For example, Business, Joe, Sally, Ancient, etc.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter,

The 'Type' menu in the Credit Card entry is used when a website requests the card type. If the field is left blank, you'll likely have to fill it in after the fact, unless the website can detect the card type based on the card number.

I hope that @MrC's explanation of tags helped - they're really just there to help you sort your items in a way that makes sense to you. For example, a few of the tags that I use (mostly stolen from another awesome user in the forums' suggestions here) are the following:

• Wallet: All cards that live in my wallet get this tag. If I were to lose my wallet, I'd know immediately which cards were missing and needed replacing.
    • Address: Any time I add my address to my account information, my Login item gets this tag. If I move, it's a simple matter to find out where I need to change my details.
    • Credit Card: Similar to the above, this tag is for any site that has my financial details. When I update my credit card, I know which websites need updating too.

There are plenty of other ways to use tags as well. They're a really powerful organizing tool, and I'm fairly certain I've only scratched the surface with my current setup.

Again, for me personally, the other 1P Categories seem highly specific and maybe best used for archiving. But I am interested in how others are using them.

The 'Primary' categories in 1Password are the ones that you'll want to focus on the most as you're getting started. That means Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities; the types of entries that can be filled in on websites. They're the most handy to have around. Once you've got the hang of those categories, you can start filling the other categories with any important information that you want to have secure and readily accessible. I'll admit, I don't use half of the categories, but there are a bunch in there that are quite useful. So far, I've got entries in the Drivers License, Passport, Bank Account and Software Licenses categories.

I'd be curious to hear how others use categories!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There are some other categories I find useful as well as those Megan mentioned.

1. In the Passport category I have the details of both my and my partner's passports, and scanned copies of each. When I travel I take phone and iPad so I always have copies of the passports on those if needed. (It's quite useful when you have to complete landing cards on an international flight!)
    2. I use Secure Notes to record things like purchase dates, price and serial numbers of things like camera equipment, computer equipment, etc. Again it's useful to have that when travelling if anything is stolen. I also have scanned copies of travel insurance in secure notes.
    3. As it's always a bit of a nightmare setting up a new wireless router my Wireless Router category is very useful and I've attached to the relevant entries backups of the settings so that I can restore them easily if needed.

I look forward to hearing other's ideas. It's really useful for getting more out of 1P.

Stephen

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still having something of an issue about the "TYPE" field in Credit Card items... basically still asking what does it do ?
    But then maybe this is just my OC/ODD * kicking in again.

When I created my CC items for all the various "plastic" cards in my billfold, I ended up meaningless entries in the TYPE field.
    Now I realize I can not re-set those entries to default "blank" because the drop-down menu items are fixed, and the field is modal.

I have no idea which Type "Apple-Pay" is, or how it's going to work, but it will probably be a significant player. My experience with "plastic" is that some accounts act like "credit cards", some act like "debit cards", some are "rewards cards", some are just "membership", or even "pass-thru", such as PayPal, etc.

If the TYPE field has a significant role in the Credit Card category, maybe "best practices" should include a blank menu item, or at least a reset button.
    Of course, a fully functional "user-defined" entry field might be even better, unless it would "break" some background code.

(*) Obsessive Compulsive / Oppositional Defiant Disorder

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter‌

The 'type' field is used on many websites to specify the (ultimate) credit card issuing company (e.x. Visa). Some websites require this information to properly process your card. It is only used by 1Password to display the appropriate icon for the card, and for the aforementioned filling.

Thanks.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

OK, Thanks for the clarification.

• Ben
    Options

Welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.