Add Mac to wifi sync with other already-Windows-synced iOS devices

Options
dugbee
dugbee
Community Member

I bought the Windows/Mac bundle as well as the Pro app for my iPhone/iPad. My initial setup was getting all my data into the Windows, and syncing to the iOS devices. That works fine.

Now I want to get all that data on the Mac, is the right way to sync it with one of the iOS devices? Neither are able to find the Mac. I'm on the same wifi network at home. Using Yosemite, iOS 8.1, latest stable version of 1Password. Or do I need to import the vault from the Windows machine?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dugbee‌

With a mixture of devices and platforms such as yours, how do you feel about Dropbox? It would be one easy way to keep all your devices in sync as it's one method all the versions understand. On the possibility that Dropbox is an acceptable solution I'm going to link you to our guides on that. Here's the guide for setting it up on your Windows machine, for your iOS devices and lastly your Mac. Now that final guide I've linked you to, that's for setting up a fresh copy of 1Password but you want to point it to an existing vault e.g. Dropbox. Now if you've set up an empty vault on your Mac already here's a guide for Starting over where you basically remove the data files so 1Password believes it has never been run before on this machine. Now steps to take care to do include ensuring 1Password mini is terminated and the reboot because of OS caching. Then that guide for starting again on a new different computer can be followed.

If you have any questions or concerns then post here and we'll get you sorted :smile:

• dugbee
    dugbee
    Community Member
    Options

I would prefer to remain wifi-only. If the iOS devices already have a vault that is synced with Windows, and I've essentially started a new vault on the Mac - would that prevent it from being "seen" by the iOS devices?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dugbee,

If you'd prefer to stick with Wi-Fi, we can totally make that work with your set-up. As you suggested, the way to get your data onto your Mac is to sync with the iOS devices by Wi-Fi. Here's what we'll need to do:

• Start a new vault on Mac (with the same Master Password as your iOS database) - if you've already done this, then you're well on your way!
    • Follow our directions here: Wi-Fi Sync in 1Password 5 for iOS

We've heard from some users that longer names for computers might not show up on the iOS device - do you by chance have a long name for your computer? Our developers are working on fixing this issue, but in the meantime, using a shorter name for your computer should ensure that it shows up when it should.

I hope this helps!

• dugbee
    dugbee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

The computer name is only 12 characters, previously it was over 20. However it still does not sync. Once I've synced the iOS device to a given computer, is it always looking for that particular machine? As soon as I hit "sync now" in iOS (with the new vault and sync window open on the Mac), it immediately returns the "computer not found" message.

Since it's immediate and not timing out, I'm guessing it's looking for the Windows computer..

• cue003
    cue003
    Community Member
    Options

So does the existing sync between windows needs to be removed before trying to sync to the mac? The document linked seems to say you can only wifi sync to a single machine...either mac or windows.

"Wi-Fi sync is only available between a single Mac or PC and one or more iOS devices."

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@dugbee:

However it still does not sync. Once I've synced the iOS device to a given computer, is it always looking for that particular machine?

Yes. You have to first disable the Wi-Fi sync in the iOS device in 1Password's Settings > Sync. Once you disable it, re-enable it and you'll see your Mac on the list to select. Enter the secret code from your Mac app, and it'll then sync.

In the future, you should be able to change the Wi-Fi server (Mac or Windows) effortlessly but it is not implemented fully yet. You'll need to disable and re-enable the sync whenever you change computers. You won't have to re-enter the secret code, the iOS app will retain both codes to make the switch easier for you next time.

@cue003:

So does the existing sync between windows needs to be removed before trying to sync to the mac?

Yes for now, we'll have an option later to make it easier to switch computers to sync with.

This discussion has been closed.