Selectively Clear Trash

Options
MikeV99
MikeV99
Community Member

I'd like to clear some items from Trash but do not want to clear it totally. How can I selectively clear items from trash?

Comments

• Hi @MikeV99,

It's not possible to selectively remove items from Trash. We do have a feature request filed for this and I've added your "vote" to it.

ref: OPM-1418

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Any hope that this might make it to the top someday? Really would be useful -- I have about 200 items in trash.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MikeV99,

I can say we haven't discounted the idea. The feature request is still open and active on our system. When it might happen... that I can't say I'm afraid.

It won't help with your current Trash but going forward a slightly different approach might help? What I'm thinking of is a Trash or Archive vault. You could have a secondary vault to place stuff that you haven't made your mind up about yet so your Primary vault is free of the clutter. The other vault behaves exactly like a vault but at least on a Mac when you use the browser extension that stuff is hidden as it only displays results from a single vault. If you're also an iOS user and you're a fan of our iOS Safari Extension then you would want to avoid syncing the Archive vault as the extension shows results from every vault.

I realise it isn't what you asked for, I just wondered if it might help while you wait for such a feature.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

I will take a look at it. However, you would not think adding a delete to trash would be that difficult. Thanks.

• Yabbie
    Yabbie
    Community Member
    Options

I have 30 items in trash that I want to get rid of. The Delete key does not work; there is no Edit function; the items cannot be simply moved to Trash.
    The only action provided in 1Password seems to be Restore - and that's not at all what I want.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Yabble have you tried right clicking on Trash in the left pane?

I'm assuming you're using 1P4 or 1P5, even though you've not said which version you have.

Stephen

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

You should be able to right click and clear all?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Yabbie,

At this time, the Trash in 1Password operates the same way as the Trash in Finder. You can empty your Trash completely, and you can restore individual items that you may have trashed accidentally, but you can't select items to delete.

If you're using your Trash as a place to house items that you no longer need on a daily basis, but are unwilling to fully delete, I'd suggest looking into littlebobbytables' suggestion of creating an 'Archive' vault. This is how I deal with old and expired Logins - I don't want to see them in my active vault, but the pack-rat in me is just not prepared to fully delete them. I feel the need to have them somewhere "just in case". So, they get moved into my Archive vault, which is not synced to any of my other devices. I have that peace of mind that I can still access them if I need them, but they don't clutter up my active vaults.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.