Some logins have Web Form Details and some don't?

Options

I'm looking through 1Password and it looks like in addition to the expected Username and Password fields, some of the entries also have a Web Form Details section. In the WFD section is yet another Username and Password field. Duplicates.

Why do some entries have this and some don't? If some logins work without having the Username and Password duplicated in the WFD section, what's the purpose of the duplication?

I thought it might have to do with the field names, but I've modified those and the logins work just fine. They don't seem to have any purpose.

Can I delete them? If not, please consider this a feature request.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

They're not duplicates, actually.

At a minimum, a Login item needs a name (or title), the URL, and your username and password for that login form. If you create the Login item manually, in the main 1Password program, the username and password fields just get the generic names "username" and "password". (Imaginative, huh? :) )

If you let the 1Password extension create a Login item for you (as recommended), though, the names of the username and password fields are derived from the HTML code of the form, along with the names (and values) of any other fields on the form—a "remember me" check box, a "go to" dropdown list, hidden fields, and so on.

All the field names and corresponding values are saved in rows in a section called Web Form Details. You can delete or modify any of them you like, but changing the designation of those designated as "username" or "password" (or deleting either of those rows) could leave your Login item unusable. (You can always change the designation back, of course.)

• Hamst3r
    Hamst3r
    Community Member
    Options

So, I'm still messing around with 1Password, and the inclusion of the Web Form Details hasn't seemed to matter. I've recreated some entries manually in 1Password, so they don't have any Web Form Details, and they're able to log in just fine with the websites I've tried. Do you have an example of a website where it most definitely won't work without the Web Form Details being there?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't know of any specific URLs, no.

Any form that required provision of something in addition to username and password—a Captcha string, for example—before letting you submit the form would probably qualify.

Of course, you wouldn't want to save a Captcha string in your Login item, because it'd be different every time. For a Login item like that, you'd want to set the Submit option to Never, so 1Password would fill in the username and password but leave you time to type in the Captcha string and then submit the form by hand.

This discussion has been closed.