Syncing to Cloud

Options
Mel Burstein
Mel Burstein
Community Member

I am running 1Password 5 (Beta 2) on my MacBook Pro; and the 1Password 5 IOS version on my iPhone and iPad 2. I have the latest OS and updates on all. Recently, I changed from using DropBox to Sync to using iCloud. I don't think Sync is working because I see a Login on the MacBook that is not on the other devices. The MacBook is using iCloud Disk. Apparently, I have missed a step somewhere. Instructions on the MacBook tell me to go to Settings > Sync on the IOS devices, but I see no Settings > Sync option on either IOS device. Can someone tell me what I have done wrong?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mel Burstein

Due to changes in iCloud in Yosemite, the webstore version of 1Password can no longer sync with iCloud. Since the beta is run through our website, you will not be able to use iCloud on the 1Password beta. If you want to use iCloud, you'll need to use the Mac App Store version of 1Password.

I have missed a step somewhere. Instructions on the MacBook tell me to go to Settings > Sync on the IOS devices, but I see no Settings > Sync option on either IOS device.

The Settings pane on iOS is accessible via the gear icon in the lower menu bar. If you're already viewing a pane of the Settings (such as 'Security'), simply tap the gear icon again to get to the main Settings pane, you should see 'Sync' there.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member
    Options

Can I go back to using DropBox?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mel Burstein

I think that using Dropbox would be the best option for you here. There are instructions on how to switch to Dropbox sync in our User Guide, if you need them.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan. Let me ask two more questions. First question: instead of switching to Dropbox sync, how about if I purchase 1Password from the Apple App Store. 1Password is such a fine product, I don't mind paying for it twice :). Really, it is great software. Second question: Will 1Password sync to a PC if I am using iCloud?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

HI @Mel Burstein‌ I'm afraid that iCloud is Apple's sync method and they're keeping it that way. For cross platform synchronisation your best bet is Dropbox in terms of compatibility and simplicity.

If you're running only Apple devices and machines and want to use iCloud then purchasing 1Password from the Mac App Store would allow you to sync them all via iCloud. Normally I'd point out the requirement that all the iOS devices are running iOS 8 and 1Password 5 for iOS but you covered that in your original post.

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. I'll go with Plan A and switch back to Dropbox Sync. Thanks for helping me make the decision.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mel Burstein‌ You know where we are if you have any further questions. Hopefully it's a nice smooth transition to Dropbox and that you're up and running on all the various machines and devices under your control.

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

OK I'll accept that offer for additional help. While it appears that everything is now using Dropbox sync, the iPhone and iPad show 247 Logins while the MacBook Pro and PC each show 224. In addition, I keep getting a popup message saying: "contents.js updated."

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE. I got rid of the popup by uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox on my MacBook Pro. But it is still only showing 224 Logins :(

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE 2. Please ignore posts 9 thru 11. Everything is now in Sync. I guess I just didn't give it enough time.

• Hi Mel,

I'm glad to hear everything is now in sync via Dropbox. :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• Demiro
    Demiro
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I have a big problem. I did upgrade on my iMac to OS X Yosemite and I have downloaded 1Password 5 from AppleStore on my iMac. But the problem is that the Sync with iCloud not function, when I open 1Password and I try to restore my safe to iCloud I don't see iCloud from the options... I see all others methods (DropBox, Local, ecc...) but no iCloud. Help me please because I have all my passwords stored only on 1Password on iCloud.

• Hi @Demiro,

I've replied to your duplicate post here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/31399/

This discussion has been closed.