1Password not syncing iPad via iCloud

Options
giusep71
giusep71
Community Member

Hi, I have 1P on Mac iPad and iPhone.
It syncs fine except on iPad with iOs 8.0.2 (1P 5.1.2). It doesn't sync anymore (not sure since how long).
Can you help?

Thanks

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @giusep71,

I'm sorry you're having iCloud sync problems on your iPad! First, please open 1Password on your iPad and go to Settings > Sync. Make sure iCloud sync is still enabled. If it's not enabled (i.e. it says Start Syncing) then you'll need to set it up again.

If iCloud sync is still enabled but not working, please try the steps in our Knowledgebase here: Troubleshooting iCloud (iOS 8)

Please let us know how it goes, thanks!

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, things got worst.

I followed troubleshooting procedure as indicated (besides on Mac i'm on 10.9.5, don't understand why i should be on Yosemite in order to use 1P sync); the iPhone on iOs 7.1.2 keeps on syncing fine, the iPad iOs 8.0.2 instead would not find data on iCloud anymore as shown on the attached picture.
    Can you help?

1P.PNG 53.2K
  • Good morning @giusep71. Sorry for the trouble you're having with iCloud sync. Starting with iOS 8 and Yosemite Apple made some changes to the way iCloud sync works. As a result you can no longer sync 1Password 5 with 1Password 4 via iCloud. Additionally you can only sync 1Password for Mac via iCloud if you have purchased it from the Mac App Store. If you're able to upgrade your computer to Yosemite (a free upgrade) and you've previously purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store then we can get you up and running with iCloud sync. A simpler option would be to use Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync.

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MrRooni,
    My problem is i don't have any option to sync over wi-fi.
    Any idea how come?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @giusep71, thanks for the screenshot! To see the Wi-Fi sync option in 1Password 4 for Mac, you'll need to go to the menu for Window > Wi-Fi Sync. For more help to set up Wi-Fi sync, please see our guide here.

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, ok I was able to sync the iPad over wi-fi.

I have to say though I'm negatively surprised from this sync flaw. Don't get me wrong I love 1Password and for my work I use it probably 50 times a day. Having said that... I don't like to be forced to upgrade to the latest OSX Yosemite (which can be free as we know, but plenty of other issues) and or to the latest iOs version only to be able to sync 1P over iCloud. I'm quite sure I'm not the only 1P user who complaints about it. I'm a Mac user since many years and I like flawless process. I don't want to rely upon another service like Dropbox. And having to sync manually over wifi each time we want a change to apply... really sounds like past century school.
    You guys are smart people and I think it's just ridiculous to provide iCloud sync with similar limitations such as the ones I just came across with. I strongly would suggest to work much harder on providing a flawless syncing regardless what OS we use.

Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @giusep71, I'm glad to hear Wi-Fi sync is working for you! :smiley:

Thank you for the feedback about iCloud sync. Believe me, there's nothing we'd like more than to still be able to offer iCloud sync in the web store version of 1Password, and for it to work between 1Password 4 and 5 on different versions of Mac OS and iOS. But, to make a long story short, that just isn't possible.

Keep in mind that iCloud is an Apple service, so we don't have control over how it works. You probably already know that Apple made major changes to iCloud starting in iOS 8 and Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite). That includes their new CloudKit technology, which we use for iCloud sync in 1Password 5. CloudKit works much better than the old iCloud sync method, but it's not backwards-compatible with older versions of Mac OS or iOS. Also, CloudKit is only available for apps in the Mac App Store or iOS App Store (or iTunes), so we simply don't have the option to use it in the web store version of 1Password.

For more information about all that, please take a look at our Web store and iCloud FAQ.

As for Wi-Fi sync, you'll be happy to hear it is now automatic in 1Password 5 for Mac and iOS! (However, those versions require Yosemite and iOS 8.)

Dropbox is also a great sync option. You mentioned you don't want to use that, but didn't say why. If you have any questions or concerns regarding Dropbox sync in 1Password, please let us know and we'll be happy to help with that!

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, and thanks for your response. I have a clear picture now of how things work. Since I don't feel to migrate to Yosemite yet, in the meantime I will manage to sync the iPad over wifi.

I don't understand though why the App Store version should have higher privilege than the one purchased in your store. We pay same good money, right?

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, I have a question about what you say "As for Wi-Fi sync, you'll be happy to hear it is now automatic in 1Password 5 for Mac and iOS! (However, those versions require Yosemite and iOS 8.)".

This means by using Yosemite and iOS 8, by choosing the WI-FI option sync whenever both devices will be on the same network a sync will apply without me having to perform any sort of action. Am i correct?

Then this also mean no backup file will be saved to the cloud. How to proceed with a restore if something bad happen?

Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Hi @giusep71‌

That is correct! And yes, backups are even more important in that case. 1Password makes local backups on 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows, but this does not protect a hard drive failure or natural disaster. So, some other form of backup (preferably a backup strategy that includes an off-site backup) is required.

Thanks!

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, I have my iPad on iOS 8.1.3 and 1P 5.1 on Mac (10.10.2 Yosemite).

Both are configured to sync via wifi, and both on the same network. But apparently they sync only when 1P 5.1 on Mac is open and clicking on wifi sync, and on iPad by clicking on sync wifi. I don't experience any automatic sync as said previously.

Is anything wrong?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

1P5 should sync automatically via wifi but it does require 1P to be unlocked on both devices.

Stephen

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen, unlocked on Mac YES.
    On iOS though it means it needs to be unlocked and running, not possible to have it in the background, isn't it?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

On iOS though it means it needs to be unlocked and running, not possible to have it in the background, isn't it?

It must actually be unlocked in order to sync. Whether or not it's actually unlocked when in the background will depend, I think, on your settings under Settings > Security.

Stephen

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen, here are my iOS security settings. Not sure how I'm supposed to enable wifi sync with the app being running in background. Can you help?

Thanks

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I think what you'd need to do is to ensure Lock on Exit is off, if that's what you really want to do. This knowledge base article on the security settings says:

Activating Lock on Exit will require you to enter your Master Password (or Touch ID/PIN, if you have either set up) any time you leave 1Password by going to your home screen, switching to another app, or locking your device.

Personally I prefer to leave that setting on just in case my iOS device is taken by someone else within the period covered by the Auto-lock period.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @giusep71,

Once you open & unlock 1Password on your iPad, it will continue to sync for a short while if you switch to other apps, but eventually iOS will either stop the background sync, or quit the 1Password app if it needs the memory to run other apps. At that point, it won't sync until you open/unlock the 1Password app again (as long as the Mac version is also unlocked, of course).

If you have more questions about that, just let us know! :)

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew and Stephen.

Although I can have a hint of why and how must be like this, the way wifi sync operates today appears to me quite a limitation. Are you working on any future release to make the process smoother?

Thanks

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

It seems I can't leave this thread.

I had to restore my iPhone and something ain't working with automatic wifi sync.
    iPhone is on iOS 8.1.3 1P 5.2.1, Mac on 10.10.2 and 1P 5.1.
    Automatic wifi sync on iPhone won't work unless i click on sync now. 1P application open on both devices of course.

Can you help?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Automatic wifi sync on iPhone won't work unless i click on sync now. 1P application open on both devices of course.

One of these two solutions will usually get wifi sync behaving again:

1. disable wifi sync on both devices then re-enable it; and/or
    2. reboot both devices.

Stephen

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen, tried and wouldn't work.
    On iPhone still have to click sync now.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I recall that did originally happen to me. What finally resolved the issue for me was deletion of 1P for iOS and re-installation. As that's going to delete all your 1P data on iOS you'll obviously need to be absolutely sure the 1P data on the Mac is up to date before you do it.

Stephen

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

It worked. Thanks Stephen.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear things seem to be back on track @giusep71, let us know if you have any further questions :smile:

This discussion has been closed.