Will 1Password3 be compatible with a dropbox file shared with 1Password5

Options
rickcr
rickcr
Community Member

My wife has an older Macbook so it can only run 1Password3. I'd like to run 1Password5 and share the same dropbox file. Will they be compatible?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rickcr‌

They will indeed. The agilekeychain format hasn't changed in this time so 1Password 3 all the way up to 1Password 5 for Mac can sync using this file. On our iOS devices you're limited to 1Password 4 & 5 not because the older 1Password 3 doesn't understand the file but because of a Dropbox API change that effectively locked the older iOS app out.

Just so you know in advance, there was a big change in how things worked between 1Password 3 and 1Password 4. Versions 4 & 5 both use an internal database to store the vault as you know it and the keychain is simply your sync file - you can destroy it as often as you like and your local vault is safe. 1Password 3 uses the agilekeychain as it's vault and the only copy it uses will be the one you link to. So if anything goes wrong on Dropbox for any reason and your wife's 1Password is spitting the dummy don't worry, all you have to do is create a new agilekeychain in Dropbox from your 1Password 5 and you'd be okay again.

I could have skipped writing that last paragraph but it isn't intended to cause concern but to try and reassure you that the contents of that keychain will be retrievable if you were to sync with it using 1Password 5.

• rickcr
    rickcr
    Community Member
    Options

Glad you included that last paragraph actually! Good to know.

(Side note, I'm coming back to 1Password to upgrade, after having tried another common password manager for a long time only to found it just way more cumbersome to work with. My wife kept saying "I miss 1Password" :) I only left for a while since I was going to be on Linux more and wanted a more crossOS solution. Note, I'm also a Mac/Android guy so keep up the good work on the Android app!)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rickcr‌

I had to share your post with everybody - I loved the quote :smile:

The Android app is pretty new so expect it to keep improving!

This discussion has been closed.