iOS App needs Folder Sync Desperately

ryanhaver
ryanhaver
Community Member

I'm rather disappointed that the iOS App still doesn't support folder sync. This could be easily accomplished with the APIs that Apple provides. It would be comforting to know that we have the option to Sync our data somewhere that we control rather then depend on the someone else to keep it safe.

The only reason I have kept using DropBox is because I am forced to use them to store my 1Password Vault. Their security is horrible and any of their employees has full access to all of your files. There have been many security articles published showing how insecure their cloud infrastructure is. IT's even worse that they have blatantly lied to customers about security and procedures involving user's files.

Apple iCloud will not work for me because I run my iPhone backup to it, which take up most of my space....and at this point I'm not willing to pay for more space on Apple's servers.

WiFi Sync won't work because I use multiple cross platform devices: 1x Andorid, 1x Mac , 2x PC, and 1x iPhone.

Please tell me this is in the works and will be released soon!

Comments

• @ryanhaver Thank you so much for writing in! We always love getting feature requests from passionate users such as yourself. Unfortunately we have nothing to report at this time regarding folder sync on iOS. It's definitely an awesome idea and one that we've got in our feature request list. I will, of course, be sure to add your vote to it.

• ryanhaver
    ryanhaver
    Community Member

Thanks MrRooni, I know not everything can make it into the next big release on iOS, but if this one feature was the only one added I would be the happiest 1Password user ever! I'm sure other security conscious users would sing your praises as well.

I have been trying to get rid of DropBox for a few years now, and at this point the only thing hosted in my DropBox is my 1Password vault.

There are a number of alternatives that would allow 1Password to use folder sync on iOS. Some of the better alternatives that I use often are Bittorent Sync and Synology's DS Cloud App.

• Thanks again for the feedback! I will pass along your thoughts to our developers. :)

• ME_01
    ME_01
    Community Member

I have the same requirement. I would realy like to switch on my Synology Cloud. I do not feel save on Apple and Dropbox Server.
    On my MAC that works, but on IOS not!
    If there is any chance to extend the solution, that would be my wish!

Thanks and BR Markus

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ME_01‌

I've added your voice to the request.

ref: OPI-1885

• shaunvis
    shaunvis
    Community Member

I've used 1p for years and love it. It's putting me in a bind now though because it's the only think I still use dropbox for. Simply put, I didn't trust Dropbox before Condoleezza Rice showed up, not I flat out feel like my password info is in jeopardy.

iCould sync won't work because I use a windows machine at work and wouldn't be able to access it.

The one thing I DO trust is my Synology. I'm the only one with the passwords and I have full control over it. IT doesn't seem too outlandish to support Cloudstation as a storage option for 1P. That would be the perfect solution, then I'd be able to keep my data safe.

I could use Cloudstation on my Macs and Windows but not on iOS. So that means my iPhone and iPad are out.

Will you be supporting Synology any time soon? I'm really trying to avoid switching to another password manager because I don't think any work as well as 1P. But at some point, having everything stored in a compromised place like Dropbox makes any password manager pointless.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@shaunvis‌ I have merged your post into a recent thread where the subject matter of your post has already been discussed.

Stephen

• Thanks for the assist, @Stephen_C.

Thanks for the feedback, @shaunvis‌!

• ryanhaver
    ryanhaver
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

EDIT: Looks like I answered my own question. It does not sync across Windows. I should have verified better before using iCloud.

I am rather disappointed though. AgileBits shoudl really try to make this a simpler endevour for their end users. It is ridiculous to have to deal with such poor compatibility when using multiple platforms. So it's either go back to using Dropbox, try to piece together a mishmash of different ways to sync or just move on to another solution that isn't 1Password.

hmm....so does iCloud even sync 1Password data on Windows?

I have seen some conflicting information that states yes, while others have said no. Currently any changes I make don't appear to be syncing between my Windows computers. Basically my vault is different on each computer even though connected to iCloud. I've been using it this way for the past few months none the wiser. Now when I compare vaults there are different sizes.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

.so does iCloud even sync 1Password data on Windows?

No—because Windows users have no access to iCloud.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ryanhaver,

To be a bit more specific, 1Password 5 for Mac and iOS use Apple's CloudKit technology for iCloud sync. Unfortunately, CloudKit isn't supported on Windows. In case you're curious, we do have a bit more information in our iCloud FAQ.

If you're syncing 1Password between Mac, iOS, and Windows, but don't want to use Dropbox, another option is to use Folder Sync between Mac and Windows, and use Wi-Fi Sync with iOS.

Our developers have certainly been exploring options for other sync solutions, so hopefully we'll have more options for you in the future. If you have more questions, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• I don't have anything further to share at this point, but we're always looking into different sync methods.

• ylemoigne
    ylemoigne
    Community Member

I add my voice to the request. Please... I love 1 password, and the lack of folder sync on iOS is the only thing that disappoint me.

• Thanks for the vote, @ylemoigne!

• shaunvis
    shaunvis
    Community Member

Man, all these iOS updates I'd really hoped to see Synology support by now

• Hi @shaunvis,

I'm not aware of any definite plans to add support for Synology sync, but we do appreciate the feedback and will consider it as we continue to look into the best sync methods.

Thanks!

Ben

• toby00001
    toby00001
    Community Member

For anyone desperate to use folder sync, switch to Android. Apple make it VERY difficult for any non-system app to access the file system. The very closed nature of the Apple ecosystem is unlikely to change at any point, which will continue to make it difficult for developers such as Agilebits to add these kind of features.

For me, the idea of storing my password database on a cloud-based service such as Dropbox or iCloud, negates the security advantages of using a password manager in the first place. I host my password database on my own server, which isn't even accessible to the outside world and use folder sync between Android, Mac, Linux and Windows devices. Works like a charm :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@toby00001: Indeed, there are a number of restrictions in place on iOS. For the most part, the security benefits substantively outweigh the the limitations, but it can certainly be frustrating at times, depending on what you're trying to do.

Now, to be clear, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.

But regardless, it's important to us that you have different sync options, so I'm hopeful that we'll be able to add more in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.