How do I import passwords from Norton

Options
Gayle Doe
Gayle Doe
Community Member

I have download the trial version I have both windows mac and Android so far The program looks good kudos seem to work great kudos but I have a couple of simple questions Under support there is no option to obtain support. apart from lost licenses or stay in the loop.

Information on what to do with my hundreds of existing log ins and passwords = zilch most disappointing
A way to easily contact someone to ask these simple questions again zilch = very disappointing.

Reason for very dissapointed so far is I do not like or want to use blogs or forums or any other shit like this for a simple sales or tech question. I want a real person from the company I intend giving my money to, to answer my very simple questions so I can make the decision on whether to buy this product or not.

I have to say with no way of contacting support I am already leaning to uninstalling and looking elsewhere

Disgruntled.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gayle Doe

I'm sorry you feel this way.

Many companies are using forums now because they find it allows for a public record of solutions that others can use. Somebody might come to the forums with a question and find an answer already written even before they themselves can write a post. For a small company like us it means we can potentially help more people in the same period of time. Now if a question requires asking anything remotely sensitive or a diagnostic report then we do take it to email but we're experiencing a significant surge in support requests since the release of iOS 8 and Yosemite. Events like that make the forums even more useful.

AgileBits takes an active approach to these forums, it isn't like the Apple ones where it is mostly driven by other users. If you wish to ask your questions here we'll be more than happy to try and assist.

• sduncan
    sduncan
    Community Member
    Options

This is an old note, but the question is what I need the answer to and, in opening this discussion, I see the question really was not asked/answered. So how do you transfer Norton 360 identity/password info to 1Password?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @sduncan,

The question about importing was likely not addressed as the original poster seemed to have already made a decision to go elsewhere, and more had an interest in venting than in finding a solution to a problem.

Does Norton 360 identity/password manager have a way to Export the data? If so, what formats does it indicate it supports?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sduncan,

MrC has done some wonderful work building a set of convertors for various file formats. You're in very good hands so if you do post the export file formats that Norton supports and there is a possible solution he will find it :smile:

• sduncan
    sduncan
    Community Member
    Options

Norton can export into a .csv file. I think that's a fairly standard format for various exports where the expectation is that it will get imported back into Excel, for example. The url of the site is the first field, then the user id, then the password, and then the name of the site. After that, the fields aren't of much interest as I think they only matter to Norton.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @sduncan,

If you would be able to provide me with a a sample export, I'm happy to create a converter that will work for you. There will be some special values I'll have you use for some of the entries, so that I can test how reliable their CSV export is. Send me a PM with an email address to contact you, and we can work offline. Any samples you send should, of course, be fictitious or sanitized so that you are not sending confidential information.

• sduncan
    sduncan
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry...I would have thought, given the size of the Norton customer base, that 1Password would have already considered a way to import the Norton data as an incentive to make it easy for people to switch to 1Password. I even have all my data, as described above, in Excel as a periodic backup besides there more internal DAT file format which I don't know anything about.

In any event, as I am not familiar with this discussion site, how do I communicate offline to send you all this. I don't see a button, link, menu that suggests I can send a message to someone outside of posting it here.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options

@sduncan,

There are probably more than a hundred password managers across the different platforms that 1Password runs on. I don't believe Norton is a big player in the password management space.

1Password can import CSV, but it has to be in a certain format, as described here.

The importers I create are more robust and complete, so if you want to go this route, I need to get some data (I don't have Norton 360 installed anywhere, and I'm not interested in doing that right now, even in a virtual machine).

Private Messages can be sent here in the forums by clicking on a user's name, and then clicking the Message button (or using the Message button at the top of this page). We can discuss here if you wish, but you won't be able to attach files.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options

@sduncan,

It appears Private Messages have been disabled for non-admins. I can send you a PM, and you can reply to that. Additionally, you can download the converter and see my email at the top of the convert_to_1p4.pl script.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options

@sduncan,

I've have created a Norton Identity Safe converter for you. It is included now in the 1.05 build of my converters available in the _testing folder mentioned in this post. The README has been updated.

Please be sure to export and convert on the same platform. You may, however, import the 1PIF on OS X or Windows.

I installed a trial version on Windows, so was able to test fully in that environment. There is no OS X trial version of Norton 360 or Identity Safe available, so I was not able to fully test on OS X (although this is where I wrote and tested the code). The code should work, but if not, will only need a minor tweak to adjust for the different export file encodings. If you are running Identity Safe on OS X, I'd like to know the file format, so please report back and I'll give you instructions to help me help you.

This discussion has been closed.