Can 1Password 3.8.22 (Mac) be synced with 1Password on iOS?

Gail McClintock
Gail McClintock
Community Member
edited November 2014 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have the older version of 1 Password on my Mac and the latest version on my iPad and iPhone. When I initially purchased 1 Password the mobile equivalent was not available. Is it possible to Sync these 2 versions, taking into account that most of the newer contacts are entered on my i
Phone. I do not wish to loose all this information if my MacBook is used as the master source. I do hope that these newer versions of 1Password are not a ploy to make users buy the updated version.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gail McClintock

It should definitely be possible to sync 1Password 3 for Mac with the 'latest' version of 1Password on your iPad ... but I'll just need to confirm your iOS version number to be sure. To find out which versions of 1Password for iOS you have, let me know which icon you see on your home screen from the following image: A, B, C or D?

• Gail McClintock
    Gail McClintock
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. "D" is the icon on iPad and iPhone. "a" the one on the MacBook Pto.
    Thank you again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gail McClintock

Thanks for confirming! Dropbox will definitely work for these devices. There are a few things to be aware of though. Custom fields, and multiple URLs are new features that have been added in 1Password 4. If you have used either of these features on your iOS device, the data will not be visible on 1Password 3 for Mac. This data will still be saved in your entry, unless you edit that entry on the Mac. 'Custom fields' would be any data that you have added to your 1Password entries using the 'Add new section' option. If you haven't used this feature, then you don't have to worry. :)

Before I can give you instructions to get synced up though, I just need a bit of data, to make sure we get this done right:

• Is 1Password 3 for Mac currently syncing? You can determine whether your database is stored in Dropbox, or just locally on your computer by looking in the Preferences > General pane.
    • Are your iOS devices syncing to each other? If so, what are they using?
    • You mention that most of your new entries are on your iOS devices. Do you have data on your Mac that needs to be preserved as well? Or does the iOS device have the complete database?

Thanks for your patience. :)

• Gail McClintock
    Gail McClintock
    Community Member

I have never sync. 1Password for Mac. And to my knowledge have not stored my database on dropbox.
    Looking in preferences<general<there is no reference to Dropbox.
    I would like to preserve all information as I need to ween out old enteries when they are different on different devices. When they are all on one device, this is much simpler as you will appreciate.
    My iPhone has not been syncd.at this stage and remains empty. I prefer to use wi fi for sync if available as I am not very familiar with Dropbox.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gail McClintock

Thanks for confirming those details! You're right, having everything updated on one device will make things much simpler.

Unfortunately, Wi-Fi sync has changed significantly between 1Password 3 and 1Password 5, so you won't be able to keep things synced up with Wi-Fi. So, there are a few ways we can get you synced up here:

Upgrade to 1Password 5 for Mac

• If you're running OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), this solution will allow you to use our newly designed Wi-Fi sync to keep in sync between your Mac and iOS devices.
    • You can enter your current license information on our upgrade page to see the discount you'll get on a new license.
    • Please note, I'm only mentioning the upgrade because you would prefer to use Wi-Fi sync. We're perfectly willing to continue supporting 1Password 3 and are not trying to force you into an upgrade here.

Use Dropbox

If you prefer to remain with 1Password 3, Dropbox is the flexible option that will keep your data synced up between all devices.

First, we'll want to run backups on both your Mac and your iOS device (just in case):

• On Mac: Use File > Backup
    • On your iOS device: Go to Settings > Advanced > Create Backup

Next, we'll set up Dropbox sync on your Mac. Please follow the instructions here: Setting up Dropbox sync.

Once your Mac is all synced up, we'll want to show your iOS devices where this keychain is so that it can merge the data on your iOS device with the data on your Mac.

There are instructions on how to set up Dropbox sync for 1Password 5 for iOS here: Sync with Dropbox. Please set up your iPad first, since you have data stored there already. We'll set up the iPhone next. In step 4, you'll want to follow the second option: "If you already have 1Password data in Dropbox you will be asked to choose the vault you want to sync. Tap the desired vault to begin syncing." You will be asked to enter the Master Password that you are using for 1Password 3 for Mac. Enter this, and then select the option to merge your data. 1Password usually does a great job of merging, but if you notice anything a little bit odd, just remember that we created fresh backups before we did anything, so we can start over if necessary.

Once your Mac and iPad are syncing, it's a simple matter to add your iOS device into the mix. Just follow the Sync with Dropbox instructions again. :)

If you have any questions about the process, please let me know! We're here to help.

This discussion has been closed.