How To Restore Old 1Password Backup to 1Password 5?

tempest1269
tempest1269
Community Member

I just reformatted my computer, but before I did I made a backup of my 1password logins. I'm not sure what version of 1password it was, but I installed it about a year ago.

Anyways, now that I installed 1password 5 on my computer, I am unable to restore or import the old backup I have.

It's in a zip file. When I unzip it, I cannot restore or import any of the logins. When I dig into the files, it seems the extensions are .1password and 1password 5 is looking for .pif extensions.

Any help on this?

Comments

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Hi @tempest1269‌,

Thanks for taking the time to write to us :+1:

Your 1Password backup file should have a 1p4_zip file extension. Let's try and follow these steps to sort this out:

1. Go to Preferences > Backups and click on the "Find backup" button.
    2. Add your backup, this will add you initial backup in the backup list.
    3. Select the backup in question and choose "Restore"

Please let us know if this helped.

Cheers!

• tempest1269
    tempest1269
    Community Member

Thanks, but did not work. I'm unable to find any file that it will allow me to back up.

This is the file I have: 1Password 2014-11-24 143909 (225 items).agilekeychain_zip.zip

When I unzip it, the folders inside are "a" "config" and "data". Nothing in those folders I was able to restore.

Anything else?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tempest1269‌

That sounds like a 1Password 3 backup file to me.

When you unzip it, are the contents a single package/folder that ends in .agilekeychain

You won't be able to restore that file like you would one of our 1Password 4/5 backup files but it's definitely not all lost, not at all.

What state is 1Password 5 in at the moment? Is it asking you to create a new vault or if you're an existing user?

If it is, you can say you're an existing user and you'd want to pick the This Mac option and then select your .agilekeychain.

Our guide Getting started again on a new computer details these steps with screenshots.

Now if you've created a new vault and it's empty we could go through the steps of deleting it and returning you to that previous state. Our guide Starting Over would lead you through those steps.

If you have a new vault and it isn't empty let us know and we'll suggest something else.

Either way, let us know how you get along :smile:

• tempest1269
    tempest1269
    Community Member

I don't see any file extension ending in .agilekeychain unfortunately.

Any other options for me?

• Hi @tempest1269‌,

Rename the extracted folder to 1Password.agilekeychain, that'll turn it into the data file.

Can you tell us what is the state of 1Password 5, is it asking you if you're a new user or it is asking you for the master password?

• corgan1003
    corgan1003
    Community Member

I'm having a similar problem. I'm just getting started with 1Password5 from what looks like a 1Password3 backup. The filename is 1Password 2015-05-20 133957 (306 items).agilekeychain_zip

The 1password app is asking me if I am new or existing. I choose existing. It gives me 2 options I can make sense of. I tried the restore from backup option which doesn't work because it doesn't like the file type. That's confusing given this is a backup. Next I tried the from "this mac" option and that allows me to select the file. However, when I select the file, no error, no success, nothing.

Then I tried to rename the file as stated above by Mike T. This time using the from "this mac" option, it works in the sense that I get user feedback. The file seems to be "digested" and I am presented with a master password screen. However, when I type my master password, I get an alert "Failed to unlock. Cannot load keychain profile."

I searched through a bunch of the other forum threads and didn't find anything. I'm not using Dropbox. I'm pulling the backup file directly from a backup of my old computer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

@corgan1003: If that isn't working, the backup may be damaged, or you may be using a 3rd party archive utility that's messing things up. This is what you need to do:

1. Rename your backup to 1Password [date time] ([x] items).agilekeychain.zip so that it will be recognized as a ZIP file.
    2. Right-click the ZIP file and choose Open With > Archive Utility
    3. The result will be a package called 1Password [date time] ([x] items).agilekeychain
    4. Rename it to 1Password.agilekeychain
    5. Double-click it, and 1Password will ask you "Would you like to start using the selected data file?"
    6. Click "Yes", and then enter your Master Password to unlock

Essentially, the 1Password 3 backup is just your compressed vault, so if it still isn't working you've gotten a corrupt file from the backup of your old computer. If there is a better source (an alternate backup location or additional backup files) you'll need to try those instead. The timestamp on your backup file seems to indicate that it is recent (this month), so rather than the backup you could also just copy over the vault itself. Failing that, you will need to start over, I'm afraid.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it turns out!

• corgan1003
    corgan1003
    Community Member

I figured it out by pulling a the actual zipped data directory from the previous computers Library instead of an actual backup. It's confusing because it doesn't look like pulling the file in "backups" works

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @corgan1003,

I'm really glad to hear you were able to restore your data, thanks for letting us know how you did it! From your description, it sounds like there may have been something wrong with the backup file you tried using to restore the data, otherwise the steps from brenty should have worked for you.

Hopefully everything will work perfectly from now on, but if you run into any other issues, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Drew_AG: Indeed. I tested this myself, just to be sure. Unless it's damaged, the backup file is just a .zip containing the .agilekeychain.

@corgan1003: Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you were able to retrieve the vault instead, and that all is well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.