Sync bug on Local Folder sync - edit and delete

Options
jones4224
jones4224
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

Hello.

Syncing a secondary vault via Local Folder is possible on 1Password (V5.0.2 502006 from the Mac AppStore). Doing this via a file called
Users/All Users/1Password/1PasswordJones.agilekeychain.

But it only starts the sync when adding new items.

1. It never syncs when editing an items (in my case it was changing text in a Note)
  2. It never syncs when deleting an item

Think this is a "solved-in-15-minutes" bug, just adding the sync routine to edit and delete handler.(?)

Regards.

Jones

Another question: In some older posts you say it is only possible to sync secondary vaults. But as I see in the settings, every vault has it own Sync Setup. So I could duplicate the .agilekeychain file, rename it, and use it for the primary vault?

Comments

• jones4224
    jones4224
    Community Member
    Options

Syncing between two users on the same MacBook.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jones4224‌

So first of all you can sync all your vaults using Folder Sync if you wish, that's definitely fine to do.

Now for you sync issue.

• Have both user A & B create a new item each, labelled accordingly.
    • Have user A try to edit user B's item and vice versa.

Let me guess, neither edit syncs, am I correct?

• Now have both user A & B edit their own item.

Let me guess, the edit syncs now.

What you've been caught out by are OS X's file permissions I'm afraid. I spent an entire morning one day mucking about with this.

The problem is the .agilekeychain is made up of potentially hundreds of files (the .agilekeychain is a special kind of folder). So say you thought you were being smart and after creating the sync file in the shared folder you altered the permissions so both user A & B could edit the .agilekeychain - well it doesn't work for any new items. What happens is 1Password creates a new encrypted file for that new item but OS X doesn't use the file permissions you set before, it uses the defaults where that user is the owner of the file and so the only person that can write to the file (so edit it).

Great eh?

Now there is a way to tell OS X to let both users edit any new files too but it isn't pretty and it requires working in the Terminal. If this is something you're comfortable with I can let you know what you need to do. Just to warn you though, if you copy over the .agilekeychain folder via Finder these permissions would probably be wiped. In summary though it isn't 1Password on this occasion, it's all to do with File Permissions in OS X.

This discussion has been closed.