Migrating from iphone 4 to iphone 6

heath_kat
heath_kat
Community Member

I just upgraded from an iphone 4 (not 'S', just 4) to an iphone 6 plus and I am not sure of the best way to migrate all of my password information to my new phone. I did a complete backup in itunes of my old phone before I activated my new 6 plus. Some apps migrated automatically when I activated my new phone, many did not. I am assuming this is due to the different ios versions between the (2) phones (7.1.2 vs 8.1.1).

I was using 1password version 3.7.2 on my iphone 4 running ios 7.1.2. I have the new 1password app (version 5.1.2) on my 6plus (ios 8.1.1), and I would like to import the data from my iphone 4 somehow.

I have tried to do a dropbox sync on my old phone, but it keeps telling my login failed even though my credentials are correct. I was able to backup the database from my iphone 4 to my imac and it seems like the only way to get my password data to my new phone is via 1password for imac. This is fine, except for the fact that 1password for the imac costs $35.00.

Is there any way to get my data from my iphone 4 to my iphone 6 plus without purchasing 1password for imac?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

Hi @heath_kat,

do you still have your iPhone 4 around and is 1Password still running on it? If yes, I suggest you backup your 1Password database (Settings > Database > Backup & Restore) to your computer. Then install 1Password 3 on your new iPhone 6 Plus. There restore the 1Password database. After that is done you can use this tutorial to migrate your 1Password data from 1Password 3.7.2 to 1Password 5.

• heath_kat
    heath_kat
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, @Winnie . A few questions:

• Did you mean that I need to install 1password 5 (instead of 3) on my iphone6 because that is the only one available in the App Store?

• I do still have my iphone 4 and I did backup the database to my computer but I am not clear on how to restore the database to my new phone. 1password 5 only has the options to create a new vault or sync to an existing vault. Is syncing to an existing vault the same as restoring?

• Lastly, did you mean to post a link to the tutorial you mentioned? Because I don't see a link or an attachment in your post.

Thanks

• Hi @heath_kat‌

Did you mean that I need to install 1password 5 (instead of 3) on my iphone6 because that is the only one available in the App Store?

No. 1Password 3. This is available in the Purchased section of the App Store when logged into your Apple ID that you originally purchased 1Password using.

I do still have my iphone 4 and I did backup the database to my computer but I am not clear on how to restore the database to my new phone. 1password 5 only has the options to create a new vault or sync to an existing vault. Is syncing to an existing vault the same as restoring?

This is why you need 1Password 3 for iOS on the iPhone 6 as well.

Lastly, did you mean to post a link to the tutorial you mentioned? Because I don't see a link or an attachment in your post.

Yep, sorry about that:

• heath_kat
    heath_kat
    Community Member

Good to go. Thanks for the help :D

• Awesome, thanks for the update, @heath_kat‌! And on behalf of Ben and Winnie, you're very welcome.

This discussion has been closed.