Getting iCloud sync to work ? - when Purchased license for 1Password 5 through a package offer

Options
bxrbxr
bxrbxr
Community Member

I purchased a license of 1Password 5 for the Mac through a package offer with Parallels etc.
However I am not able to sync with iCloud. I hope I don't have to buy an AppStore version :-)
Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards
Bala

Comments

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@bxrbxr‌

You may have to. There are two versions of V5, the one from MAS that does support iCloud syncing and the one directly from Agilebits that does not. However, both support Dropbox syncing so you can always go that route.

• bxrbxr
    bxrbxr
    Community Member
    Options

@Plato‌

Thanks much. I was hoping to keep it on iCloud but will likely go the Dropbox route.

• Hi @bxrbxr,

1Password 5 switched to the new Apple iCloud "CloudKit" technology which is only available on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, and limited to Mac App Store apps only. After this change we were no longer able to offer iCloud syncing in the web store version of 1Password.

We've put together a FAQ page with more information here:

Web store and iCloud FAQ

I also want to make sure that you have a chance to review some more information on iCloud and why the Mac App Store is the only version that has access to that particular sync option. Roustem, one of our founders, has written a blog post on the iCloud rewrite and I’d like to share it with you:

About iCloud changes in 1Password 5

The only way to use iCloud in 1Password 5 is to purchase directly from the Mac App Store. Unfortunately there is no way for us to transfer your purchase to Apple's store.

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions.

• bxrbxr
    bxrbxr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks much. Since I got 1Password 5 from the Parallels offer, I assumed that it would have iCloud capabilities or it would be equivalent to purchasing from the App Store. I guess I will switch to DropBox sync or Wifi sync.

• mflac
    mflac
    Community Member
    Options

What do you mean "Unfortunately there is no way for us to transfer your purchase to Apple's store." That is a choice on your part NOT a technical impossibility. I have paid for 1password. When I paid for it, there was no warning that I was buying a crippled product. If there had been, I would never have bought it. I really feel like I have been cheated!

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@mflac‌

If you had purchased directly from the Agilebits web site within the past 30 days, you could get a 100% refund so that you could then purchase from MAS. If you purchased elsewhere and have been cheated, it's the seller that cheated you. Contact them for a refund.

• Hi @mflac,

It's not possible for us to transfer your purchase to the Mac App Store. Apple does not provide any way for us to do it, unfortunately.

Like mentioned by Plato, if you purchased from the AgileBits store in the past 30 days, we do offer a 30-day money back guarantee if you're not happy with your web store purchase.

Also, we do state that the Mac App Store version is required for iCloud syncing on the 1Password for Mac product page, and on our store.

• mflac
    mflac
    Community Member
    Options

Presumably this bundle from parallel that includes 1password was offered with your full consent and participation.
    https://buy.parallels.com/329/purl-bf-pd10u-b?x-source=email_pd8&utm_source=pd8&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bfcm14
    I have read every word of the section about 1password on that page, including the "additional information" link. There is NO mention whatsoever of this not being the full product. please read it.
    Also, other companies do seem to be able to migrate a user from their "web store" version to the app store version. Just a few weeks ago I had the experience of doing this. It didn't seem to be any great exertion for the company and it was very simple for me.

• Hi @mflac,

My apologies that the lack of iCloud sync wasn't made clear on the Parallels website. If you're not happy with your purchase of the Parallels bundle, I would recommend that you contact Parallels support for a refund.

This discussion has been closed.