Help getting info from backup

Options
hilzoy
hilzoy
Community Member

Hi -- my Mac Powerbook died today. I got a new one, but while I do have access to my Time Machine backups, the 'Migration Assistant' is not working at all, so I have to transfer everything by hand. Where do I find my registration number, vault, passwords, etc? Thanks.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hilzoy‌

Sorry to hear Migration Assistant is letting you down.

Where to look is dependent on where you purchased 1Password, which you could do either via Apple's Mac App Store or direct from us. Here are the two locations.

AgileBits store version: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4

Mac App Store version: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

If you copy the applicable folder across your entire vault should be accessible. I do assume you haven't run 1Password at all yet because you know your vault isn't where it needs to be. Now if you purchased 1Password directly from us you'll probably need to get your licence resent to you unless it's stored in your vault in a Software Licence item. If it is double clicking on your licence file should be sufficient, maybe you might need to drag it to your Desktop first though and then double click. If you need a copy resent all you have to do is submit your email address on this page - https://agilebits.com/licenses/resend

Let us know if you have any problems but with a little luck you'll be back up and running with zero fuss.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hilzoy‌

I've had potentially a key piece of information pointed out to me in that you said Mac Powerbook which if you're accurate would suggest a pretty old machine. What version of 1Password were you running? My previous post was working off the belief that you were running 1Password 4 or higher and that might have been a bad assumption to make.

If you were running 1Password 3 and never synced to Dropbox then the default location would have been ~/Library/Application Support/1Password (note the lack of the version at the end of the folder name). In there should be a 1Password.agilekeychain. If you were to copy that folder to your new machine then when you opened 1Password 5 it would see it and assume you wish to import from the older version.

Let us know if any of that helps.

• hilzoy
    hilzoy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi -- it was 1Password 5 -- I just don't bother to keep up with the names of Apple's laptops. Between when I wrote this and now, I retrieved my license key via email, figured out about Library/Containers, discovered that my backups do not have any such folder, which is really odd (it appears in search results, but then tells me that the original cannot be found -- ??) , and decided to use 1Password to create all new passwords. Sigh. Now if only I could remember how I originally answered all those security questions ...

I've used Time Capsule/Time Machine before, and it has always been great. But this time, the Migration Assistant just didn't work at all, and it has been a serious nightmare. Though not as much of a nightmare as it would have been if I hadn't had backups ...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hilzoy‌

I'm sorry to hear Time Machine didn't fulfil it's duties, it's very sucky when it doesn't and of course unless you're very, very meticulous about it you only ever find out when it's too late :disappointed: At least you have 1Password up and running and I hope it doesn't take too long to populate all of the contents. I use a unique email address for each site I register with so I know if I completely lost my vault I'd be utterly screwed.

Excuse me while I go check and ensure my vault is being backed up...

This discussion has been closed.