truncated master password

Options
chipover
chipover
Community Member

I can not open 1password master, the password has been truncated to 19 characters. My password is longer than that. How can I access my passwords when I cannot enter my complete password? If I go to change my password it is not truncated, how many characters should I use in my new password. HELP HELP

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Your master password can be pretty much as long as you like. Mine is over 19 characters and I have no problem with input. When you say:

the password has been truncated to 19 characters

what exactly do you mean? Can you type the full password even if you don't see dots in place of what you type?

Edit: as you've posted on the 1P for Mac forum I'm assuming you're talking about using 1P on a Mac.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chipover‌

As Stephen_C has said, your Master Password isn't being truncated. What you're most likely finding is that as your Master Password is long enough it's just not obvious that your keystrokes are being recognised. Mine is almost 30 characters long and working fine (in terms of being recognised and failing if even a single character at the end is missing).

• chipover
    chipover
    Community Member
    Options

I have a 15" MacPro. I have had this problem for one day but I cannot access my passwords/sites because I can not type my complete password in. When I type the password in the slot 18 little black dots appear when I type them I can not type anymore. I think they are being recognized because the little black dots appear as I type. When I went to change my password site I can type the complete word in it, should I keep the password short? The master key will accept 18 characters then it stops, my password is 28 characters. I really need help I did not expect this problem from Apple or their apps. This is very frustrating and disappointing. I need help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chipover‌

Your Master Password isn't limited in size, it genuinely isn't. After a certain number of characters it might look like it isn't registering the key strokes but it is. You can even paste into the password box from the main vault-is-locked window and it works (I've just tested it with a nearly 30 character long Master Password).

If your Master Password isn't being recognised it may be for other reasons. Here's a page of ours titled Master Password not accepted which lists a couple of reasons why your Master Password may not be recognised.

• chipover
    chipover
    Community Member
    Options

I do not mean to be flippant and it is comforting to know yours works, mine does not. In fact, there are probably thousands that work but I am not talking about the ones that work again, I cannot open 1P. I read password not accepted, nothing about not being able to enter complete password. I kept typing even when the little black dots stopped showing to complete my password, I tried it enough to get the password hint. I can open the main vault because it stops entering at the 19th character. Should I change and use a shorter password or is it simply not working anymore. How do uninstall and get rid of 1P? It is a piece of junk. I am a long way from home and have no access to some important sites, ie banking, business.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@chipover‌

Just one user to another here, trying to get you back into your passwords. Bare with me some of this is a little long. :( The information may help the staff solve the issue.

Something that has happened a very long time ago in 1Password 3, there was a bug where 1Password would hang with certain accented characters. It was resolved and I have heard of no such bugs since that time. In all honesty yours is the only occurrence I have heard of since those times so long ago. I am talking in terms of years now.

You sound like a smart individual so Ill not mention checking the obvious caps lock key. But a couple other things to check are you using a different keyboard layout than when you originally set the password. What specific keyboard layout did you use ? Are there any special accents ? Do you have a different Mac that you set the keyboard on ? If so what was its keyboard layout ?

Thinking more outside the box here :

1. Are you syncing your keychain with Dropbox ?
    2. If so did you recently change it ? Was Dropbox running on that Machine ? If not then a Master Password change may not have propagated across the devices. In that case please try your old one.
    3. What version of 1Password are you on ? I see you mentioned Mac App Store but is it 4 or 5. The easiest way to tell would be to ask which OS X version are you running ?
    4. Do you have more than one instance of 1Password on your Mac ? Yosemite has a bad habit of trying to open the wrong version at times.
    5. Do you share vaults with others or have multiple ones of your own ? If so is the correct one trying to be opened ?
    6. Did you migrate (upgrade in place) from Mavericks to Yosemite recently ? Only asking as the migration can occasionally cause issues. I always do a clean install each OS release no matter what.

--

• Obviously do not reveal sensitive information here. Please PM @littlebobbytables with any private information. Getting any clues the team can may help prevent someone else this same issue.

** As to removing 1Password, simply drag it to the trash. I would hold off on removing the database if it were me.

I remember one time I jumped up and down with Quicken on windows (ancient history) when it was saying my password was wrong. I sent in a support request and waited. The wife called me to lunch. When I finished that lunch, I had an epiphany, I was using the wrong password. I jumped up from the table and was in the program in less than 5 seconds. I was cursing myself under my breath for being so silly. My point using the wrong password does happen from time to time with us all.

• It is a slim possibility that the database has become corrupt. If you have a backup on this machine. Support can walk you through restoring that backup. I have seen occurrences where this allowed people to access their data.
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chipover‌

I can open the main vault because it stops entering at the 19th character.

I assume you mean you cannot. I do understand your frustration at being unable to access your vault.

If you can't open the vault you won't be able to change the Master Password, unless you're trying to inform us that while your Master Password isn't working from the main locked window that entering 1Password's preferences, switching to the Security tab and changing your Master Password works there.

If you can replicate through a series of steps that Master Passwords over a given length weren't being accepted on the lock screen but clearly working because you could change it in preferences I know the developers would be very interested in seeing a diagnostic report as it would represent a major unknown bug.

Uninstalling 1Password is as simple as quitting both 1Password and 1Password mini using the ⌃⌘Q shortcut and then dragging the application to your Trash. This won't help you right now though, unless you're hoping that somehow your particular copy of 1Password has been damaged and a fresh copy might resolve this.

Out of curiosity have you synced your vault with Dropbox? There is 1PasswordAnywhere which normally we'd recommend accessing via Dropbox's web site but it can also be accessed locally if needed. To do so locally though will likely require altering your browser preferences as suggested on this page.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

@chipover‌ Have you rebooted your machine recently at all? If you haven't I'd definitely suggest it and see if you're experiencing the same behaviour afterwards.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chipover,

Can you give this suggestion from the Master Password not accepted article a try and let us know the result?

You can also try typing your password into a text editor to make sure you’re spelling it correctly, and then copying and pasting it into 1Password when you’re prompted for your Master Password.

That could be helpful for understanding why 1Password isn't accepting your full Master Password. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.