iCloud Drive

Options
tuni12
tuni12
Community Member

Going to iCloud Drive, cannot see any evidence of 1PW for Mac nor 1PW on iOS syncing to this drive. I do see a folder entitled "uninstall 1PW"

Whereon the iCloud Drive is/are my data files from 1PW which are supposed to be syncing to iCloud? Yes, they are set up to do do. I am using the latest versions (from the MAS) for both and am on Yosemite.

Am I missing something totally obvious to everyone else....or am I looking in the wrong place...?

Comments

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

@tuni12‌

I also looked for it and found nothing. However, it's been working like a champ for me so it's no big deal that I can't see the file. Actually, that's probably a good thing since the bad guys also can't see it.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

1Password isn't actually using iCloud Drive. It's using something called CloudKit for syncing, so it isn't a surprise you don't see your vault in iCloud Drive. I don't know whether there is a way to locate your data in the cloud or not, though. I can't use iCloud syncing anymore, because my license was purchased directly from AgileBits, before the Mac App Store came out.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

so how do I know its working if I can't see it? Or at least some hint that I can see, to ensure it really exists?

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@tuni12‌

Make a change and then check the device that's synced and see if the change propagated.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I usually create a dummy login when I'm checking to see if sync is working. Once I'm satisfied, I delete the dummy record from a different device and check to be sure it's disappeared from the others.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tuni12,

I'd be happy to mention to our team that you'd like a more visual indication when sync is occurring. I can see how this would be a nice addition: as a Dropbox user, it's great to see my menu bar icon updating whenever I make changes to any files. :)

For now, I hope that @Plato and @hawkmoth's suggestion of creating a test entry helps.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Am totally brain-dead re how to do this....how would I create a "dummy login" to check to see if the sync is working? Am sorry to be such a doofus here....am using a MBPro retina and my other device is the iPhone6 - both are being synced (or at least are set to sync) to iCloud (I think?) Are you saying to use a different user name and login with that? Am not sure of the details on how to do this as Plato and Hawkmoth are suggesting. Can I get further guidance from them/you/anyone... many thanks - maybe its just turkey on the brain.....am not sure what to do and don't want to screw up ....

As I said above, I don't see anything re. 1PW data on iCloud Drive - so why would I see a dummy login....there is nothing re. 1PW on the iCloud Drive (on my MBPro) at all (except a folder that says "uninstall 1 PW"....need more help...
    many thanks,

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@tuni12‌

What its suggesting is create something like a secure note name it "Blue" (for example) on your Mac and check and see if it syncs / shows up to the iPhone properly.

If it does delete that secure note on the iPhone and make sure it deletes on the Mac.

@hawkmoth said it correctly :smile:

1Password isn't actually using iCloud Drive. It's using something called CloudKit for syncing, so it isn't a surprise you don't see your vault in iCloud Drive.

You will not see the 1Password data. at least thats my understanding of the way it works, in relation to iCloud.

Cloud Kit is a developer only way of syncing. Again thats how I understand it.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

When I create a dummy login to see how the things are working, I click the + to add a new record. Then I laterally fill in Dummy Login for the title. And then I fill in gibberish for the user name and password. Then save. That's it. And it's easy to find and delete when I'm satisfied.

• Hi Everyone,

@hawkmoth is correct in stating that technically speaking what 1Password uses is CloudKit and not iCloud Drive (though they're related). There is no way for a user to see their data outside of the 1Password app in CloudKit form. This is unlike iCloud Drive documents and the old iCloud Mobile Documents storage where you could see a file/directory just like with Dropbox sync. Currently, the only way to tell that anything is happening is to have the Preferences > Sync window open and you should see it updating the status label when sync is happening.

Having no local file storage for the sync can be strange from the perspective of someone who's wanting to make sure everything is up and running (and can be a pain for us while doing development too), but it comes with a few advantages. It means fewer moving parts to the sync system which benefits everyone.

The best way to see if it works is to simply make changes on one device and wait for the changes to appear on the other device. It can take up to a few minutes for the changes to move from one device to another, but it should get there eventually.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

There was a user here who wanted to start over because of a forgotten master password. How would such a user delete the sync file from CloudKit to keep it from showing up when a new installation is opened? As far as I can tell, the only way to delete the iCloud sync data is to use 1Password preferences, which are unnamable without the master password.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

thanks to all for your explanations - I understand more now, and I do believe, I am syncing successfully since both devices seem to be responding to any changes. I have to muddy the waters even more....but I'm going to..... NOpe will start another discussion post since its really another subject. thx again...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tuni12,

I answered your similar question in this other discussion before I saw the one here. Hopefully your questions have been answered between both threads, but we're here for you if you need anything else. :)

Hi @hawkmoth,

There are a couple ways to delete 1Password data from iCloud without needing to use the 1Password Preferences. One way is to open the 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data. This will work even if the vault is locked.

The other way is to open the System Preferences app and go to iCloud > Manage, then delete the 1Password data that appears in that list.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

@Drew_AG‌ - I guess I was thinking you wouldn't be able to use iCloud > Manage to take care of this, since you can't see the data in iCloud Drive. But since I have the AgileBits web store version, I couldn't check. So thanks. And I didn't know the Reset iCloud data option and its availability without the master password. I'll remember for the future.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

I'm glad Drew's explanation was helpful! (I'll admit, I copied it into my own notes to remember for next time too. ;) )

This discussion has been closed.