Why aren't 1PW backups to iCloud showing on iCloud drive?

Options
tuni12
tuni12
Community Member

My original question involved the lack ot evidence re. syncing on iCloud Drive. this is a new one, forgive me....
When I go to my iCloud Drive in my iCloud, there are no backups stored there, even though I backup both my MBPro (latest version of Yosemite) and my iPhone6 to iCloud.
I know they are backed up, I can see that (each backup) in 1PW preferences. But, it seems that these backups should also show on the iCloud drive (but they don't) Why not?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tuni12,

1Password backups are never saved to iCloud Drive, but are you perhaps syncing your 1Password data via iCloud sync, and expecting that to show up in iCloud Drive?

The iCloud sync feature in 1Password 5 for Mac and iOS uses Apple's CloudKit sync technology. CloudKit is part of the iCloud service, but is not the same thing as iCloud Drive. 1Password doesn't use the folder sync feature of iCloud Drive, so you won't find your 1Password data there.

As for your 1Password backup files, if you'd like to see where those are stored, open the 1Password app and go to Preferences > Backup, then click the Show Files button. That will open a folder on your Mac where 1Password saves its backups.

If you have more questions about that, just let us know! :)

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

I think I've finally overcome the comprehension gap. Maybe? The issue has been, why isn't anything having to do with 1PW on the iCloud drive when I sync to iCloud, and I also back up both devices to iCloud?

I do see my backups in 1 PW Preferences, it just seems logical to me that since I backup to iCloud they would also/or instead be stored in the iCloud Drive. All of you are telling me that it isn't/wasn't and won't be....that's ok...I just find it strange

There is however, a folder called "uninstall 1PW" on my iCloud drive. Should that be there? Or should I delete it? Can't remember how it got there....was it automatic for some reason....or did I put it there? If it doesn't belong there, I will remove that....then, nothing having to do with 1PW will be on the iCloud Drive and I won't get so confused????

Oy, this makes my brain hurt. :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tuni12,

I do see my backups in 1 PW Preferences, it just seems logical to me that since I backup to iCloud they would also/or instead be stored in the iCloud Drive. All of you are telling me that it isn't/wasn't and won't be....that's ok...I just find it strange

It sounds to me like we're running into a bit of confusion with respect to terminology here. Sync and backup are treated as two different functions in 1Password:

• Backups: 1Password creates daily backups whenever it notices that your database has changed. These backups are essentially zipped copies of your local 1Password database, and are done to a standard location on your computer's hard drive, regardless of if/how you sync your 1Password data.
    • Sync: When you choose to sync your 1Password data to iCloud, 1Password makes a copy of your local database and allows CloudKit to store this copy in iCloud. This copy of your database is updated immediately when changes are made so that your other devices will always be up to date. Again, this data is not stored in the iCloud Drive portion of iCloud, so you will not be able to access it directly.

If you are backing up your entire devices to iCloud, those backups are stored in a non-accessible part of iCloud. Again, you won't see these devices backups in iCloud Drive, they will simply be made available if you need to restore your device.

There is however, a folder called "uninstall 1PW" on my iCloud drive. Should that be there? Or should I delete it?

Could you please take a screenshot of what you're seeing? Here's what I'm seeing:

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

tried to take a screen shot - not working....to describe: when I go to my own iCloud, under iCloud Drive it shows various folders - one of these is entitled " 1 PasswordUninstaller" (its a zip file) - I don't know if it should be there or if I inadvertently got it there somehow.....that's what I'm questioning. Obviously I/m not very good at this. sorry....I don't know if you can make any sense of this from what I've told you here....its NOT in Manager Storage...that's ok. Its on the actual iCloud Drive when I open it in iCloud??????

• @tuni12 Ah, that uninstaller zip file is a download one can obtain to remove 1Password 3.8. You must have downloaded it from one of our older support documents and then somehow dropped it into your iCloud Drive folder in the Finder. We don't have uninstaller apps anymore with the latest versions.

You should be safe to discard that file without consequence.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Oh....great - having it there when nothing else from 1PW is on the iCloud Drive is what started all these question (discussions) from me. will get rid of it....thanks so much

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tuni12‌ If you have any more questions just post back here :smile:

This discussion has been closed.