Touch ID freezes UI if touching home button during launch

Options

Comments

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE 2: resetting TouchID seems to solve this issue.

• Hi @face,

Believe it or not, we actually have a unrelated bug report with Apple on Touch ID and zoom feature. So, you're right to try it anyway.

Glad to know resetting Touch ID have some effects on this. It basically confirms our theory it is a bug in iOS for now until we hear back from Apple.

• foad
    foad
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to chime in. I'm seeing this on my device device. An iPhone 5s running the latest beta of 8.2.

• MikeT
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @foad,

Thanks for chiming in, can you tell me if your iPhone 5S came with iOS 8 or did you update from iOS 7 to iOS 8?

Can you also confirm if you've reset your Touch ID database for iOS before?

• foad
    foad
    Community Member
    Options

My 5S came with iOS 7 but upgraded to 8. I've been on the iOS 8 betas since June. I have reset Touch ID as part of my testing process.

Merry Christmas!

• Hi @foad,

So, resetting Touch ID won't help then. You're seeing this only when putting your finger on Touch ID sensor before the app loads?

• foad
    foad
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT‌ yup. This only happens when my finger is on the home button as the app is loading.

• Hi @foad,

You only see this in 1Password, no other Touch ID based apps shows this issue?

• foad
    foad
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT‌

Yup. I only see this in 1P.

• MikeT
    edited December 2014
    Options

OK, thanks for the info. We'll keep you guys up to date as we get more info and hopefully hear back from Apple soon.

• Cyrille
    Cyrille
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I don't have the beta version and not yet get this issue on my iPhone 6 and on my iPad Air 2 with the 'normal' version of 1Password but I have already encountered this kind of issue on my iPhone 6 with the Withings application Health Mate so maybe it's not a specific issue with 1Password. I don't know if someone that have the issue with 1Password also use Withings too to test if they have sometime this issue.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cyrille,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! We do suspect that this is an iOS issue, so in that respect, it's good to know that you're seeing it in other apps in addition to 1Password.

As Mike mentions above, we've been in contact with Apple about this, and we hope to hear more soon!

• Huczas
    Huczas
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with @Cyrille‌, I notice that "grey freeze" with another applications unloced via touch ID like dropbox etc. and this is not only 1Password issue.

• Hi guys,

@Huczas, thanks for telling us about Dropbox. We can at least inform Apple about the other apps and see if they can figure out the issue. Did you contact Dropbox about this?

Touch ID can be implemented differently for each app, so it is feasible that many of the apps may have implemented the support in a different way from us and this issue only arises in our specific type of implementation. It is possible Health Mate and Dropbox did the same type of implementation and thus is suffering from the same issue.

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately the issue is coming back, after TouchID reset.
    So, as you said, probably, it's an Apple iOS bug.
    Hoping it will be fixed asap, as it's really annoying ...

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

I've tried many many times the TouchID also on Dropbox app and i've to admit that no issue happen there ...

• Yea, there's not much we can do at the moment. We have to wait for Apple on this one.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

I have an occasional issue I used to get auth Authy (that they fixed) where I've actually unlocked the app but the TouchID prompt is still on the screen but totally dead. Nothing can get out of it except locking the phone with the button and then unlocking and authorising with TouchID again. Related? This seems to have crept in in the latest beta, never had it with 1Password before 5.2.1.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smallcheese‌

Could you confirm if you are seeing this bug in 1Password if you have your finger on the TouchID sensor before the TouchID prompt appears?

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I think that is generally the case when it happens.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smallcheese‌

Thanks for that! For now, it might be best to try to avoid that, and hopefully this will be resolved soon. :)

• schiguoi
    schiguoi
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I see this issue as well. It usually only happens when I am going from the multitasking tray to 1Password (I'm on the last HockeyApp release). I tend to leave my thumb on the touchID sensor and when the request to authenticate comes up it won't do anything. So I hit the button to enter my password and the home button stops working and I have to hit the power button to sleep/wake before I can use the app.

It's not every time, but it happens enough.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

• Hi @schiguoi‌,

What about from the home screen, it does the same thing?

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent an email to support+ios with my log and screenshots right after seeing this issue a couple minutes ago.

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thanks, it looks like Laura found your report and added it to our tracker.

You don't have to keep sending these logs and the screenshots. Our diagnostic report doesn't contain enough information to explain the problem. We have to wait for Apple to tell us what they need and how to get the information. Once they tell us, we'll follow up here with the diagnostic instruction.

It is also possible that Apple will add extra logs in the next update and that'll give us the info but for now, it's a waiting game at the moment.

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member
    Options

Bummer. Have you done internal testing with the latest beta of the OS?

• Hi @fatherfork,

We're under NDA, so we can't say much but I haven't seen any mentions of any improvements toward this. I suspect iOS 8.2 is just mainly focusing on AppleWatch.

Myself, I cannot reproduce it on iPhone 5S but it was a clean install of iOS 8 for me.

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

iPhone 6 plus
    iOS 8.2
    Initially when unlocking 1P beta the screen would freeze right after unlocking the app. This would occur very occasionally with the last 4 betas. The only way around was to press the power button and then hitting cancel instead of powering down the device. For the past week, I am unable to unlock 1P beta as I can't get past the lock screen. I reinstalled the 1P beta and that seemed to work for a while but now I'm back to not being able to unlock the app. I did try turning off TouchID but it hasn't made a difference. I should mention that I recently started having problems with other apps that use Touch ID including Day One, Evernote, Mint and Amazon. The difference with the other apps is that I still have the option of unlocking these apps with their passwords. Sorry but I am unable to send any logs as I can't unlock the app.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcq1,

I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Password. I'd love a few more details on exactly what you're seeing here. Generally, we've seen this freeze when users have their thumb pressed on the Touch ID sensor before the Touch ID prompt comes up. Is this perhaps what you're seeing? If so, we recommend waiting until the prompt is visible before placing your finger on the sensor.

I'm curious about you not being able to access 1Password even with Touch ID turned off - are you not seeing the Master Password screen?

This discussion has been closed.