Touch ID freezes UI if touching home button during launch

Options

Comments

• Hi @mcq1,

If you turned off Touch ID in 1Password, please try rebooting your iPhone to see if you can unlock the app with the master password field.

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT and @Megan,
    I am making a conscious effort to not rest my finger so that TouchID won't interrupt the opening of the app. What has worked recently is reinstalling the 1P beta and turning off TouchID which allowed me to access the master password login screen. This worked a number of times so I turned TouchID back on and the result was that the lock screen shifted up but didn't open. However, if I engaged the app switcher and selected the 1P app I was able to use the open application. This hack persisted until the phone rebooted itself and now TouchID is working relatively ok. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Hi @mcq1,

Yep, that sounds like a few iOS bugs that we've reported with Apple already.

so I turned TouchID back on and the result was that the lock screen shifted up but didn't open.

That happens because we know you want TouchID and we shifted up the view before calling on iOS to present the TouchID. So, basically something crashed TouchID in the background and the 1Password is waiting for iOS to respond to say the fingerprint is authorized or not.

By the way, are you using the 1Password beta from HockeyApp or TestFlight?

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, I originally used HockeyApp and started using TestFlight from just after iTunes Connect shutdown. I don't seem to recall having this issue with HockeyApp.

• admdly
    admdly
    Community Member
    Options

This happens to me with the non-beta version, generally when I'm resting my finger on the home button while the app is launching. I have an iPhone 6 and have tried resetting Touch ID to no avail. I never have this issue with any other Touch ID apps. It's fairly annoying but can be resolved by locking the phone and then unlocking it again.

• Hi guys,

@mcq1,

I originally used HockeyApp and started using TestFlight from just after iTunes Connect shutdown. I don't seem to recall having this issue with HockeyApp.

Hmm, that's unusual. We haven't seen any increase in reports when switching to TestFlight.

When did you first upgrade to iOS 8.2 beta? Was it around the same time with TestFlight?

@admdly,

This happens to me with the non-beta version, generally when I'm resting my finger on the home button while the app is launching

It works fine as long as you don't put your finger on the sensor, right? Just want to make sure this is the same issue by most here. Finger resting on the sensor as the app load is a known iOS issue.

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT I only installed iOS 8.2 last week as I was hoping that it would help with some of the issues that I've been having. I noticed today when opening 1P beta that after I place my finger on TouchID that there is now a bit of a lag (longer than normal) before the app slowly opens.

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT I'm back to being locked out of the app either with the extension or opening the app directly. I received an error message earlier this morning that there was an "Error Loading 1P extension - 1P extension failed to receive information from the app". Can't think of any other workaround but to re-download the 1P beta until the app stops working opening...

Any suggestions that you might have would be greatly appreciated. I did email my log a couple of days ago while I was able to get in the app [#LYD-83772-783].

• Hi @mcq1,

I noticed today when opening 1P beta that after I place my finger on TouchID that there is now a bit of a lag (longer than normal) before the app slowly opens.

We've heard of some lags on the iPhone 6+ but we haven't been able to reproduce it yet.

Does it happen more often when you open it for the first time or if it lags also when you open 1Password from the app switcher when switching away from 1Password?

I received an error message earlier this morning that there was an "Error Loading 1P extension - 1P extension failed to receive information from the app".

That often happens when you update or reinstall the app and did not open the main 1Password app before opening the extension. The main 1Password app has to open first to load some initial data to the iOS keychain, so that the extension can read data from your keychain when you open it up.

I'm not sure why you saw that message in the main app, that specific error doesn't exist there, only for the extension. Did you see a different error when you try to unlock the main app?

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT I took a screenshot of the error message and now am second guessing whether it was when opening an extension or in the main app perhaps you can tell from the picture. Yesterday, I did not experience any lags when opening the app but it ended up being a crapshoot as to whether the app would unlock or not. It did appear to be totally random occurrence as I was trying to figure out what was different when it opened or did not. Apologies for taking up so much of your time.

• face
    face
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Probably it's clear but i'd like to update my issue saying it's (quite) always happens when leave finger on TouchID at startup before execute 1Password.

It's not happens if i leave finger on TouchID with Dropbox at startup.
    So are you sure it could be an Apple iOS bug ?
    Why with Dropbox not happens ?

• Hi guys,

@mcq1:

Yesterday, I did not experience any lags when opening the app but it ended up being a crapshoot as to whether the app would unlock or not. It did appear to be totally random occurrence as I was trying to figure out what was different when it opened or did not.

Hmmm. These kind of intermittent glitches are very hard to reproduce.

Just a suggestion (it might not actually do anything based on what we're using it for), can you disable the Background App Refresh support for 1Password and see if it is working better. You can do this in the iOS' Settings app > 1Password, and toggle off Background App Refresh. Kill the 1Password app in the background and reopen, see if it is more stable.

Apologies for taking up so much of your time.

No need to apologize, we want to know about this because it can help us and/or Apple to guess where the problem could be based on the patterns of the reports we get.

@face:

It's not happens if i leave finger on TouchID with Dropbox at startup. So are you sure it could be an Apple iOS bug ? Why with Dropbox not happens ?

Yes, we're 95% sure it is a bug in iOS 8 based on our internal testing and also due to the fact that there's not much else we can do with TouchID, it's a very limited API with a few methods.

There is a different way to implement TouchID that other apps are using but it is not the right fit for our app's security model, which is why it is a less common issue that affect certain apps like 1Password and not a general issue.

As mentioned before, we're waiting to hear back from Apple to see what's going on. It is possible the bug is entirely on us and Apple will explain more why to us. TouchID is relatively a new technology and it should improve over time in future iOS versions.

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @MikeT‌ I just wanted to update you with what's been happening yesterday and today before disabling background refresh. The app continues to lock me out but it's not necessarily absolute. If I persist, not always at the same time, it will eventually unlock whether I leave my finger on TouchID or not until it stops responding and then I start over trying again.

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT unfortunately turning off background refresh didn't make a real difference. It worked until it stopped working... more of the same.

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT latest update … the app worked perfectly over the last 36 hours. Yeah!

• Thanks for the update @mcq1. Do let us know if things go sideways again.

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @mcq1,

When you said latest update, do you mean just a status update on what's going on, not an app or iOS update, right? If not a status update, which update are you referring to?

If it is working better for another few days, please turn back the Background App Refresh feature and see if the issue returns. If it does, turn it off and see if it is more consistently stable.

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT sorry for the confusion. Poor choice of words on my part. I simply wanted to give you a status update. The app has worked fairly flawlessly since Monday and I will turn background update back on and let you know if I experience any issues. FYI the reason why I qualified my statement with the word 'fairly' is because I had one hiccup and that was that the screen froze once after the app was unlocked with TouchID. I know from previous experience that if I hold down the power and home button and press cancel instead of shutdown the app becomes responsive. Thank you for your patience and assistance.

• Ah, thanks for that detailed post. Hopefully, the issue does come back with Background App Refresh and not come back with it off. I know it is a weird thing to hope for but it gives us a more precise area to look into for both us and Apple.

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT the app has been working beautifully with background app refresh on.

The only issue I'm now having is with apps that recently have 1P integration. The login and password info do not appear when 1P is unlocked only the title of the app that I'm attempting to log into.

• Abdiel Ortiz
    Abdiel Ortiz
    Community Member
    Options

This is a known problem specifically with touch ID password enabled Apps. I have seen this problem with other Apps such as Dropbox. I don't think it is an issue with 1Password. It is more on how the integration of touch ID in Password protected Apps is implimented. It is very rare.

• Hi guys,

@mcq1,

the app has been working beautifully with background app refresh on.

That's great to hear, so it is not that. It seems that the app is working more reliably now with TouchID. All of the more reasons we're still pointing this to iOS 8 issues.

The only issue I'm now having is with apps that recently have 1P integration. The login and password info do not appear when 1P is unlocked only the title of the app that I'm attempting to log into.

Can you give us more details, like which iOS app? We need to test this and see what's going on but 1Password is supposed to return items with the same name as the title. Can you do a search of the app title in the main 1Password app, does it return anything?

@Abdiel Ortiz:

It is more on how the integration of touch ID in Password protected Apps is implimented. It is very rare.

That is correct, that's what we're narrowing this down to. We have filed radars with Apple and are just waiting to hear back from them. Touch ID is a relatively new technology, so there are growth pains that will occur for several months. Hopefully, iOS 9 will have a lot of improvements in this area.

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT the new updates from Tumblr and MS Outlook. I couldn't navigate anywhere within the open window when trying to use the 1P integration.

• Abdiel Ortiz
    Abdiel Ortiz
    Community Member
    Options

I would say this is kind of a better implimintation where it is embeded into the App rather than a popup.

• admdly
    admdly
    Community Member
    Options

It works fine as long as you don't put your finger on the sensor, right? Just want to make sure this is the same issue by most here. Finger resting on the sensor as the app load is a known iOS issue.

@MikeT Yes, that's correct from what I have observed.

• MikeT
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

@Abdiel Ortiz,

I would say this is kind of a better implimintation where it is embeded into the App rather than a popup.

We would agree with you, we'd love to make it integrated. However, for security reasons, Touch ID is not controlled by anybody else beside Apple. iOS directly handles the entire Touch ID framework and that's why you see the same Touch ID prompt on top of all iOS apps. This is not code we can touch nor customize. The only thing we can do with Touch ID is sent a call to it and ask if the user is authorized via fingerprint. When Touch ID kicks in, the entire app stops working and iOS is in charge now. Once the scan is done, the app resumes based on what Touch ID returns.

The only two information we get from Touch ID is: success and failure and upon success, we can gain access to our data stored in the iOS keychain. This is a bit oversimplified but that's basically how it works and iOS as well as its users stays secure without any apps getting access to any fingerprint database.

@mcq1:

the new updates from Tumblr and MS Outlook. I couldn't navigate anywhere within the open window when trying to use the 1P integration.

Would it be too much to ask if you can provide a screenshot, so we can get an idea what's going on. I'm not sure which window you're referring to.

@admdly,

Thanks for letting me know!

• mcq1
    mcq1
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT unfortunately I am no longer able to reproduce as 1P integration is working as to be expected.

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

for me the last beta solves the issue: GREAT!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcq1,

Don't feel bad about not being able to reproduce it - we're thrilled to hear that 1Password integration is working as expected. :)

Hi @face,

It's awesome to hear that the beta has things working for you - thanks for letting us know!

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan have you made some changes with last 2 betas in this area ?

I've to admit that i've experienced one more time the issue today but it works now better then ever.

But the today issue make me wonder if you've worked on this area (if i well remember i've read something about this issue in Testflight what to test description 2 betas ago).

This discussion has been closed.