Difficult To Reset Wi-Fi Sync

Options
Penelope Pitstop
Penelope Pitstop
Community Member

I've been making some changes to my Wi-Fi network that involved reconnecting all my devices to a new SSID. This understandably seemed to stop 1Password Wi-Fi sync working but I found it difficult to get it going again. I tried to use the Change Wi-Fi option to reset everything. Unfortunately my iOS devices seemed to be clinging on to some sort of cached reference to my Mac and it is shown in the server list without the icon next to it.

Unchecking the "Allow syncing with iOS device over Wi-Fi option" on the Mac caused the Mac to disappear from the list of computers on the iOS devices. Furthermore checking it again made the computer come back but still without the icon. This suggests that it is rediscovering the Mac but in some sort of faulty way.

Restarting the iOS device seemed to flush this cache out and when you try to start Wi-Fi sync again you are shown the server with an icon next to it:

Syncing then seems to start again and I am prompted for the master password of the keychain on my Mac:

Unfortunately I can't find a quick way to reproduce the situation where the iOS device has this "bad cache". However I do think there should be a way to reset Wi-Fi sync completely within the 1Password app and flush out the historical connections. Having to reboot my iOS devices seems a little extreme unless the issue is actually caused by an underlying iOS Bonjour issue.

Comments

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Options

1Password on my iPhone just crashed when trying to unlock with TouchID. I sent the crash report in. This broke Wi-Fi sync again. Quitting the appa and restarting had no effect. Restarting the phone made it work again. Wi-Fi sync on my iPad continued to work OK whilst this was happening.

I can only conclude that some events cause the iOS app's Wi-Fi sync to get into some sort of corrupt state that can only be resolved by restarting the phone.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I think I've managed to isolate the reason that Wi-Fi sync is breaking on my network. It seems that one of my Wi-Fi base stations stops passing on the bonjour advertisement for the Mac (if that's the right word) every day or so. Not only does 1Password break but printers stop working too. I determined this by using the Net Analyzer app on my iPhone. The _1password4._tcp. service is not listed amongst the Bonjour services when Wi-Fi sync stops working.

I'm surprised that I don't get the Mac not available error message when that service is not listed on the phone and I wonder if this accounts for my difficulties in trying to reset the sync service too.

Turning off that base station to force the devices to connect to another or putting in a wired connection to the Mac seems to make it all work again. I'm not sure why the wired connection to the Mac fixes it. Maybe it was because that was the IP address that the phone last connected to or somehow that forces the Bonjour advertisements to go out through the wired connection.

• MrRooni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Thanks for the great troubleshooting session, Penelope. It sounds like there's some additional error handling that we might be able to do on the iOS side. I'll file an internal issue for it.

ref: OPI-2086

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Options

This thread on the Mac forum may help you recreate the condition.

• Thanks, we'll follow up on that thread as soon as we can reproduce it.

This discussion has been closed.