How long until Roboform sync parity?

Options
davepl
davepl
Community Member
edited December 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I've used Roboform for a decade, but it lacks iOS app integration (you must use their browser). When I found out that 1Password has that support, I went through all of the hoops to export all of my Roboform data, load it into 1Password, install all the extensions, and...

...then discover that the syncing is not quite ready for prime time if you're still using Windows on the desktop. Sure, I could figure out Dropbox, but I already use Skydrive, and the best I can find on that is a closed thread indicating "maybe one day".

With Roboform it just happens. No idea what goes on under the covers but by some voodoo I get the same updated data on Windows, Mac OSX, and iPhone.

As for who gets my money next renewal cycle (8 users, so not a big deal, but hey, it's a sale) I guess it comes down to which happens first: 1Password makes Windows syncing as seamless as it is with Roboform, or Roboform gets around to native iPhone app integration.

I also appear to have all kinds of iCloud stuff on my PC (iCloud app, iCloud folder, iCloud other stuff, Bonjour service, all the Apple magic) so I'm surprised they can't do iCloud sync on the PC (not that I've looked into the technical details).

I really wish one product did both! Failing that, I'll see if I can get Skydrive to work if I monkey enough.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Sync is fully functional across all the platforms for which we create 1Password, @davepl. You can read about all your options in this article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

There's really nothing to figure out about Dropbox. Setup is simple, as documented in this article. Once it's set up, it just happens. That's why Dropbox is such a great solution.

As for Roboform, perhaps it (like some other utilities) is storing all your data in the cloud, which is not the case with 1Password.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Sure, I could figure out Dropbox, but I already use Skydrive

You can use OneDrive on Windows and Mac, but not on iOS. We suggest Wi-Fi Sync for this scenario.

With Roboform it just happens

RoboForm has your data on their servers. We do not have your data. That's why.

I'm surprised they can't do iCloud sync on the PC

iCloud has gone through a painful transition lately. Unless all your hardware is from Apple and running the latest operating system (Yosemite and iOS 8), my advice is to stay away from iCloud for the time being.

• Dmitry_N
    Dmitry_N
    Community Member
    Options

Guys, actually, you can use any cloud sync with a third-party utility, which I discovered 2 weeks ago. Not free, however.
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro.html

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Guys, actually, you can use any cloud sync with a third-party utility, which I discovered 2 weeks ago. Not free, however.

Also not available on anything but Windows which makes it pretty pointless.

• Dmitry_N
    Dmitry_N
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Also not available on anything but Windows which makes it pretty pointless.

Oh no. I am so sorry then. Oh no.
    But wait. Pointless for you personally or... have you been elected the decision-maker by the topic starter whose main concern was using 1P on Windows!?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

We each have our own perspective, @Dmitry_N, and cross-platform sync is of great importance to many—possibly most—1Password users.

For someone needing Windows-only syncing, other unsupported options may be available.

Thanks for your contributions to the forum!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Pointless for you personally or... have you been elected the decision-maker by the topic starter whose main concern was using 1P on Windows!?

You really should read more carefully. The OP directly mentioned using Windows and iOS. He also references OSX, so a Mac is possibly in the picture.

Regardless, even if you assuming a Windows only operating environment, its still pointless. Many people on here found that OneDrive works perfectly well with 1Password. You just need to right click on the vault and select "Make available offline".

This discussion has been closed.