1password 4 alternative to typing primary vault long password

Options
marlacparker
marlacparker
Community Member

I believe I am stuck on 1password 4 for some good reason that I forget (using multiple vaults? sharing vaults? I know I chose this downrev on purpose 28 days ago for my trial, and now I'm about to buy...) so I cannot use the nifty touch login that is available in 1password 5.

I am jealous of my sisters android logins to various things where she draws a pattern on the keyboard.

Is there any other way to login to my primary vault every time I run 1password on my iPhone? I'm awfully tempted to make a very short insecure primary password....

TIA,
Marla

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Marla ( @marlacparker‌ ),

using multiple vaults? sharing vaults?

I don't see any reason with regards to either of those points to not upgrade. :) You do of course have to be running iOS 8.

I'm awfully tempted to make a very short insecure primary password....

Unfortunately that would defeat a lot of the purpose of using a password manager.

Your Master Password is your protection for your data. Using a weak one means using weak protection for your data. I think your best bet is likely upgrading to v5 -- this will allow you to use Touch ID (assuming you have a Touch ID compatible device) which makes it so you do not have to type your secure Master Password as often. This allows you to continue to have the security of a strong Master Password with the convenience of not having to type it all the time.

That isn't an excuse to forget it -- you still need it -- just less frequently.

Thanks.

Ben

• marlacparker
    marlacparker
    Community Member
    Options

Oh right - os versions. I do have iOS8 on my iPhone, but I am stuck on OS X 10.9 for work reasons. Cannot upgrade to Yosemite yet.

Yosemite is required for 1Password v5, correct?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marlacparker‌

1Password 5 for Mac does require Yosemite it's true but unless you can (or only want to) synchronise via iCloud then there isn't anything stopping you from syncing 1Password 4 and 1Password 5. You can sync combinations of the two versions using both Dropbox and Wi-Fi Sync, it's only iCloud where this isn't possible because of 1Password 5's use of CloudKit in the new version of iCloud.

Does that help at all?

• marlacparker
    marlacparker
    Community Member
    Options

So... I could run 1Password 5 for Mac on my iOS 8 iPhone and 1Password 4 on my 10.9 osx macbook pro and since I sync via Dropbox, it should work? So I could use the Touch ID on my iPhone to login instead of my very long primary password? That would be awesome...

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You cannot run any OS X application on an iPhone, so I'm confused by your first sentence. You must use the iOS version of 1Password on and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

• marlacparker
    marlacparker
    Community Member
    Options

Darn, typo. remove the "for Mac" from the first sentence. Meant to say: I could run 1Password 5 on my iOS 8 iPhone and 1Password 4 on my 10.9 osx macbook pro and since I sync via Dropbox, it should work?

On the phone, 5; on the mac, 4; and on my husband's windows box, sharing a family vault, he can run either 4 or 5 if he also syncs via dropbox?

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

@marlacparker, I'm assuming you meant to say that you can use 1Password 5 for iOS on your iOS 8 iPhone? If so, then yes, and you can use 1Password 4 for Mac on Mac OS 10.9. Dropbox sync should work well for you, but let us know if you need any help getting set up.

And yes, if your iPhone has Touch ID, you will be able to set up the Touch ID option in 1Password, so you can use that to unlock it instead of your master password. But keep in mind you'll still need to enter the master password after restarting your iPhone (then it will switch back to Touch ID).

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.