1P Mini - autofill login fails - copy pw manually works

Options
frankwl
frankwl
Community Member

Hi,
I have a weird effect.
When using the auto-fill function of 1P-mini into login fields the login fails.
When manually using the copy-password function and pasting into the password fields then login works.

This happens in cases when I changed passwords recently.
I am guessing that the auto-fill still uses the old pw.

Rebooting my system did not help.
Mac OS Mavericks, 1P 5.0.2

Thanks,
Frank

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

That is usually a symptom of a site that has a hidden restriction on password length. With that sort of site automatic filling by 1P will not work but cutting and pasting the password will (because in that case the site will simply ignore the additional characters). Is it possible the site you have problems with does have some hidden restriction on password length, and that your password exceeds it?

Stephen

• frankwl
    frankwl
    Community Member
    Options

No, that does not seem to be the solution.

I tried 2 things
    a) created a shorter password (6 characters) and had the same effect
    b) created a longer password (16 characters) and saved it to a NEW entry in 1P and this now works.

Again, this only happens for sites, where I changed the password.

Regards,
    Frank

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, and that my previous idea didn't work. However, please provide a little more information and it may be that someone else will have a better idea of what is going wrong.

What browser are you using and what is the 1P extension version number in the browser?

Edit: are you by any chance using Sophos or do you have any special firewall or proxy server that may need configuring?

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @frankwl‌

When you changed your password how did you inform 1Password of the change? Did you log in with the new password and 1Password asked if you wanted to update the Login or did you open the main 1Password window and edit the Login manually?

Depending on how odd a site is I can imagine it possible where 1Password isn't correctly recording the change but it shouldn't be the normal behaviour. Is it just a single site you've noticed this at or more than one?

Sorry you've had to work at getting the Login working properly however on a good note at least you've never lost the ability to log in one way or another (the most important aspect I'm sure you'll agree).

• frankwl
    frankwl
    Community Member
    Options

The pw change was registered through the 'update this password' request on the website.
    If 1P had not properly registered the pw change I would not have been able to go for the copy-paste solution.
    This happened so far on PayPal and on one hosting site. (Nothing exotic!)
    No Sophos or other fw or proxy servers.
    And btw, I have been using 1p for a very long time with no problems so far.

Greetings,
    Frank

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @frankwl‌,

When you change your login password on a website, please make sure you're following the steps here: Changing a saved password

If you're already following those steps and the password has been updated on the website and in 1Password, but the 1Password extension isn't logging you in correctly, please try manually saving a new Login item for that site by following the steps here: Saving a Login manually

Does the new Login item work correctly?

• frankwl
    frankwl
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,
    thank you for your suggestions. I have been using 1P for a few years and stored and changed quite a substantial number of passwords. Yes I follow these instructions.

Let me repeat the problem: It is NOT the case case that !P does not store the changed password. The changed password is there and happily available.

The only problem is that AUTOFILL does not use the changed password.
    A manual copy and paste however works well.

Regards,
    Frank

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frankwl‌, thanks for the clarification. Did you try manually saving a new Login item as I suggested? If so, does the new Login item work correctly with the site?

• williamparrish
    williamparrish
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same problem, autofill will not work, but if I manually copy the PW into the site, it works fine. Only happens when I have recently changed passwords.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @frankwl‌

Can I ask, what do you see when you view the web form details of one of these Login items? There should be at least two fields, one for your username and another for your password. Does the password in the web form details section match your old one and to the right hand side of the window does the entry for your password have a key symbol against it?

I'm going to use PayPal (https://www.paypal.com/signin/) as an example. Here's my test Login item.

Okay why does it have two fields with the same ID?

If I have 1Password record a change in my password I get this:

and if I submit it fills in the old password. As you can see, something is getting messed up. Could this explain why you're having difficulties?

@williamparrish‌ I've directed that message more to @frankwl but it might easily apply to you as well.

This discussion has been closed.