1password 5 isn't using my passwords from 1password 4 [Resolved]

Options
veshman
veshman
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Mac

I have both 1password 5 and 1password 4 on my mac. I upgraded a long time ago, but apparently my computer has been using 4. Now all of a sudden the Safari toolbar is launching 5, but it doesn't have my accurate passwords in it. It's using different file.

Please let me know what steps to take to get 5 to use the proper passwords, and how to get 4 off my system so I don't have this problem again.

Thank you.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @veshman‌

There is a difference in location of support files for different versions of 1Password but not by version number. 1Password is available from both Apple's Mac App Store and direct from our Web Store. These two versions store their files in different locations due to sandboxing limitations on MAS applications. However, there is no change in location between versions 4 and 5.

Have you been running both the Web Store version and the Mac App Store version? certainly that might help explain what you're experiencing.

To help we would need you to confirm you're running both versions which you can do via 1Password > About 1Password and we'd need to know if there is anything in 1Password 5 that you need to retain or if you simply need to migrate the current 1Password 4 vault over to 1Password 5. Once we know these details we should be able to get you all sorted out.

• veshman
    veshman
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hello, I believe you have solved the problem. The version 4 is from the website and the version 5 is the app store. I don't need anything in 1password 5, so I can migrate the whole password list from version 4. What are the next steps?

Thanks,

Bhavesh

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This knowledge base article on migrating to the Mac App Store version should help you.

Stephen

• veshman
    veshman
    Community Member
    Options

So it turns out I have "1 Password" version 5, "1 Password 5", and "1 Password" version 4 on my computer. It seems like I have both the web version of 5 and and the app store version of 5. when I opened "1 Password" version 5, all my passwords were there.

I don't know how I ended up with so many different copies. Should I stick with the web version or the app store version... (I generally prefer the web versions of software). Is there a way to move from App Store version to Web version?

Thanks again.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you ever want to use iCloud to sync your 1P data between your Mac and an iOS device you must keep the Mac App Store version. The AgileBits store version does not support iCloud sync. Both versions support Dropbox sync and local wifi sync.

For a summary of the differences between the Mac App Store version and the AgileBits store version see this knowledge base article.

For a knowledge base article on moving from the Mac App Store version to the AgileBits store version see here.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's definitely a few copies you have there @veshman‌

I'd recommend sticking with 1Password (MAS) version 5 (to try and help distinguish between all the copies). The MAS (Mac App Store) version does everything the Web Store version does but it also has access to iCloud for syncing (if you wanted to make use of it). If you're wondering why the difference it's due to Apple restrictions.

What I would recommend is dragging all copies of 1Password to your Trash - all the copies and reboot your Mac. Then download a single copy of 1Password from Apple's MAS. If you see all of your passwords you're past the first hurdle. If you don't see all of your passwords then don't worry, moving the MAS copy to your Trash and downloading a copy from our site will restore access to all of your passwords. If you're wondering, your vault isn't stored in the application and so dragging just the application to the Trash won't ever hurt your vault.

Once we've got you to a single copy of 1Password and we know which version is definitely working then we can talk about moving you from one to another if needed.

• veshman
    veshman
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for the help. Everything seems to be working now. I'll stick with the MAS version based on your recommendation.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @veshman,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get things working properly!

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.