I’m not a computer power user, but I’ve been using Macs for 20 years and have a reasonable understanding of how to get around in the OS X operating system. I am, however, having trouble with what AgileBits (AB) says should be simple with 1Password: getting it to work on multiple Apple devices.
What I want to do seems like something a lot of people would want to do:
* Use 1PW primarily on my MacBookAir MBA1
* Use it occasionally on my iPhone
* Allow my wife to use it occasionally on her MacBookAir MBA2 (and have the security of knowing that if one MBA crashes I still have access to the other).
* As an extra backup, and for when I’m traveling but don’t want to risk losing my MBA1, have a version of 1PW on my old MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion (OS 10.6).
* Use 1PW online somehow, on another computer, when I am traveling and need to access accounts.
The first four are all related (I’ll refer to that as “multiple devices:); the last is different (I’ll refer to that as “browser use”)
Re multiple devices
I’d like to sync with iCloud, but it looks like that is not available to me. The problem seems to be that when I bought 1PW a year ago I bought it from AB instead of the Apple App Store. Apparently things would be easy if I had bought from Apple and could just use my iCloud account. I found something on the AB site about why they can no longer support syncing via ICloud, but I didn’t see anything about offers to let me shift my registration to ICloud. Apparently I can only do that if I buy a new version of 1PW from Apple at full price:
* Is that right?
* Has AB made any arrangements for discounts for people in my situation?
* Would what I’m talking about work as smoothly as AB says it would on iCloud? Maybe it’s worth starting over.
A different point: It took me a while to figure this out, but it appears that the way I get the !PW software on another device is to just download it. My assumption, finally, is that I don’t have to buy the software again: it will function on my multiple devices because I will sync to the device that I originally purchased the software on. Since I’m having trouble with the syncing, I haven’t proved this yet on all devices, but I think that’s the way it goes. I found nothing in the AB user guide that made that point explicit and clear: that would have helped.
My current situation:
* I have 1PW purchased, installed, upgraded (to 5.0.2) and operating on MBA1(Yosemite OS X). Great software: both because of what it intends to do and how well it does it.
* I have a WiFi network at home.
* I have downloaded 1PW to my iPhone5.
* I have downloaded 1PW to my wife’s MBA2.
Given iCloud won’t work, my options appear to be (1) WiFi or (2) Dropbox. I wanted to do WiFi: I’m at home often with my MBA, my wife’s, and my iPhone; seemed fast and simple.
Macbook Pro OS 10.6.8
Re browser use of 1PW
After various searches on AB I finally got to instructions.
If I ever get unstuck, I assume that the way I use 1PWaw is on a browser via DropBox, and that I don’t need to install any software on the computer I am using.
Feels like I’m paying a big penalty for not understanding when I bought the software that I should buy it from the Apple App Store.
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.