More than one version of 1Password?

Options
okiepoke
okiepoke
Community Member

I keep getting an error message that I may have more than one version of 1 Password on my Mac. I recently upgraded to 1P ver 5. Recently when I changed my password on a site using a 1P generated password, 1P didn't remember it. When I logged back into the same site I believe it was still trying to use the old password. Somewhere during this process I got the error message regarding multiple versions. I don't see more than one version in my Applications folder. I opened 1P which showed still version 3 and the old password, but other indicators show version 5. How do I get this straightened out?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You will be running OS X Yosemite in order to run 1P5. Yosemite manages to get itself into a bit of a state if it finds more than one copy of 1P on your hard disk or on any disk that is always attached to your Mac. Thus you need to ensure that you have only one copy of 1P4 or 1P5 on any disk that's attached to your Mac (1P3 doesn't count as it's not affected, as I understand the position).

You need to watch for the next occurrence of the error message because it should tell you the location of the "other version". Make a careful note of the error message and post again if you need more help.

If you want to resolve the issue before the error arises again try a Spotlight search for "1Password" (without the quotation marks) and see what it finds. Again, post back if you need more help.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @okiepoke‌

It might be worth checking your browser's extension list too and making sure you're only running a single extension for 1Password 5. If you see a 1Password 3 extension in there too that might be at least one source of your confusion.

If you're struggling and ripping your hair out at how to get rid of this ninja-like copy of 1Password then we'll get you to email us a diagnostic report and we'll give you step by step instructions on what to do. Let us know if that's something you think you need and we'll get it kick started.

• okiepoke
    okiepoke
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't had the error message in quite a while, but now my applications folder does show 2 versions of 1Password, versions 4 and 5. They both seem to have the same number of login entries. 1Password 5 seems to be working OK with Safari. How do I get rid of version 4?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @okiepoke,

Hopefully the article from Stephen's link was helpful for you. If you have more questions or run into other problems, please do let us know, thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.